Votes: 4 12.5%
  • I use windows because i dont know how to switch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use Gnu|Linux, BSD, GNU/hurd or other rational choice

Votes: 25 78.1%
  • Unrational choice

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

I wonder if a rolling release might have been good for you. Not sure how Void does things.

Rollin rollin rollin
Though the streams are swollen
Keep them doggies rolling
Rawhide

Yeah, it's rollin. Every other day there's a kernel update. Maybe I should have some kind of cron job that tidies up the boot partition. Hm.
I'm not sure, what that's got to do with my sound devices, though. :)

It had nothing to do with sound, just a thought when reasing the stuff earlier in your post.

All of my thoughts related to the sound stuff would not be of use to you, and aren't really productive. Sorry.

@Djoga'Ro I had trouble after an update on my linux mint 17 laptop. I wasn't really able to tell how to switch on/off my hdmi audio. I installed pavucontrol and that really sums up all available devices and outputs well, so you can try out what each does without messing with alsamixer or asound. The S/PDIF is probably just a misinterpretation of the digital 6ch throughput the hdmi provides and that should be pretty much encoded data anyway which your TV then turns into sound. So switching it off or on really doesn't do anything that would affect your radeon gpu. The only real sound hardware you have is probably handled by the snd_hda_intel driver which is the device you see.

@xnopasaranx Thanks. The most annoying thing was, that my usb mic often was card 0. Some solutions involve setting those indices for some drivers (somewhere like modprobe.d/*.conf I think? (on Win right now)), and since HDMI and onboard sound use the same driver, I wanted to suppress HDMI alltogether, to unambiguously name the onboard card with the driver.
But archlinux wiki saved the day. In the same config "place" one can assign index -2, which then means "not the first" and by that not the default card. Exactly the effect I was trying to get. And the wiki gave the list of drivers ubuntu uses to avoid such fuckups with easily pluggable devices.

Back