Release Frogatto And Friends

A really really nice game ! Thanx a lot !

Any possible Caanoo port ?

Pickle said:
Ivanovic said:
Esn said:
Hey, looks like there's a new version out:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,35,312

Is the crashing bug fixed?
Would be nice to know on which revision this version is built since the version field still reads "4318-1" which sounds really far of, considering the last (relevant) commit I have seen is this one:
<CIA-84> [07:38:33] Sirp * r4420 /trunk/data/ (level/test.cfg objects/playable/frogatto_playable.cfg): fixed problem which allowed 'super jumps' to be done off ant's heads

latest svn as of last night
So would that be r4420? Sorry, I'd just like to be sure what to put for the wiki list...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bundled latest svn of frogatto. It was possible to just use trunk of the frogatto svn, though I had to apply this patch to the makefile to make it compile: http://pastebin.com/YGHbaU1G
The patch will likely be applied upstream sometime soon, so that compiling should be possible without further steps. UPDATE: As of revision 4809 this patch is part of frogatto trunk.

Beside going to the latest version I also changed the packaging "setup" a little and upped the version number. The basic changes:
* Add "preview pics".
* Update the PXML.xml file to include a <package> block and validate nicely.
* Bump to latest frogatto trunk version (they should be in the state of "rc" for the next release themselves).
* Include localization files. Those are not easily usable atm, but you can do so by placing an "overlay" run.sh file in your appdata. Available translations are: de, el, es, fr, it, ja, pt_BR, ru, zh_CN. This is what the run.sh file currently looks like to make it easier for you to create your own in appdata:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# copy default data to appdata folder
cp -r --no-clobber default/* .
cp -r --no-clobber default/.* .

# Change the LANG= var to change the translation to be used. To play frogatto
# in german, change it to "LANG=de" instead of "LANG=C". Later on this might be
# doable using picklelauncher...
LANG=C LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:lib/ ./game --wvga --compiled &> app-output.txt
Maybe it is possible to do this somehow using picklelauncher, so that you can select the lang you want using it. No idea though, got to ask pickle for this.

I uploaded this package into the repo, so you can get it here:
http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=frogatto

Bosbeetle said:
Esn said:
I can confirm that it crashes if you die.

Haven't had it crash in another situation though, yet.

same here
Is this a bug of the Pandora Port or a general bug in the game itself? Can't find something about onto the official Frogatto website. ^^""

Ivanovic said:
I just bundled latest svn of frogatto. It was possible to just use trunk of the frogatto svn, though I had to apply this patch to the makefile to make it compile: http://pastebin.com/YGHbaU1G
The patch will likely be applied upstream sometime soon, so that compiling should be possible without further steps. UPDATE: As of revision 4809 this patch is part of frogatto trunk.

Beside going to the latest version I also changed the packaging "setup" a little and upped the version number. The basic changes:
* Add "preview pics".
* Update the PXML.xml file to include a <package> block and validate nicely.
* Bump to latest frogatto trunk version (they should be in the state of "rc" for the next release themselves).
* Include localization files. Those are not easily usable atm, but you can do so by placing an "overlay" run.sh file in your appdata. Available translations are: de, el, es, fr, it, ja, pt_BR, ru, zh_CN. This is what the run.sh file currently looks like to make it easier for you to create your own in appdata:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# copy default data to appdata folder
cp -r --no-clobber default/* .
cp -r --no-clobber default/.* .

# Change the LANG= var to change the translation to be used. To play frogatto
# in german, change it to "LANG=de" instead of "LANG=C". Later on this might be
# doable using picklelauncher...
LANG=C LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:lib/ ./game --wvga --compiled &> app-output.txt
Maybe it is possible to do this somehow using picklelauncher, so that you can select the lang you want using it. No idea though, got to ask pickle for this.

I uploaded this package into the repo, so you can get it here:
Nice, I like to play it in german if possible of course :) . Frogatto is one of the games I plan to put up onto my SD Card as soon as I have my Pandora. The beautiful Screenshots onto the repo site look like the game is "true" widescreen onto the Pandora, thats perfect. ^^

Still has the "Don't die or it will crash" bug - at least on my Pandora.

thatgui said:
Still has the "Don't die or it will crash" bug - at least on my Pandora.
Some small questions to try to sort this out:
* Do you have wifi active when it crashes?
* Are you resuming an old savegame? Could you try to remove your appdata/frogatto folder to check if the crash still happens afterwards?

The interesting thing is that I personally don't see those crashes, but was never using the config file created by pickle in his initial release. Beside this I also don't have wifi active when playing normally. Wermy reported in #openpandora (using a fresh appdata dir) that it seems to be stable for him (meaning no longer crashing when dying), too.

I have also deleted the old appdatafolder and it crashes, when you die. Not everytime... In the first level it returned me to the savepoint, but at nenes house it crashed.

i dont know what it is, but it depends what happens. sometimes when i die, it restarts from something like the last checkpoint; sometimes when i die i get thrown back to the main menu. and then if nothing of the previous things happen, it crashes.

i'm sorry but crash also on my Pandora...I have also deleted the old appdatafolder and no wifi active, game started from minimenu.
Thank's a lot for updating it :)

Okay, now bumped the version in the repo to the latest release version that just came out (1.1). The changes compared to the svn snapshot before are tiny on the games side. The most important addition is adding a script that allows you to select the language you want to use ingame. Just download the new version from the repo and enjoy it!

PS: Yeah, it seems it is still crashing when dying and hardfreezing the pandora itself every now and then. Since this does not happen with the "upstream" versions it is likely some issue somewhere either in the egl based port, or in the pandoras graphics driver. Both pickle and I are rather clueless what the cause might be, so the current recommendation is to just save regularly and simply not die.

Ivanovic said:
Okay, now bumped the version in the repo to the latest release version that just came out (1.1). The changes compared to the svn snapshot before are tiny on the games side. The most important addition is adding a script that allows you to select the language you want to use ingame. Just download the new version from the repo and enjoy it!

PS: Yeah, it seems it is still crashing when dying and hardfreezing the pandora itself every now and then. Since this does not happen with the "upstream" versions it is likely some issue somewhere either in the egl based port, or in the pandoras graphics driver. Both pickle and I are rather clueless what the cause might be, so the current recommendation is to just save regularly and simply not die.
Maybe the Frogatto Devs know more? Did they know about this bug of the Pandora Version actualy? I've read that Frogatto sends some data to the Devs so maybe this could be relevant.

Esn said:
Ivanovic, did you change the version number of the PND? The reason I ask is that PNDstore is not noticing that there's an update.
Yes, I changed the version number to 1.1.0.1 instead of 1.0.3.+svn-r*something*. But milkshake already mentioned that there seems to have been some kind of problem with the archived download and things. No idea if the two are related.

fusion_power said:
Maybe the Frogatto Devs know more? Did they know about this bug of the Pandora Version actualy? I've read that Frogatto sends some data to the Devs so maybe this could be relevant.
No, the frogatto devs have no idea what is going on either. And the sending data part makes no difference, since the crashing happens both with wifi active as well as wifi turned off and it makes no difference if started from minimenu or xfce.

Ivanovic said:
Yes, I changed the version number to 1.1.0.1 instead of 1.0.3.+svn-r*something*. But milkshake already mentioned that there seems to have been some kind of problem with the archived download and things. No idea if the two are related.
I mean in between the May 7 and May 10 updates. I updated on May 7, and PNDstore noticed the update then, but it didn't notice the May 10 update. And I notice the version number in the Repo is still 1.1.0.1 like it was on May 7.

Esn said:
Ivanovic said:
I mean in between the May 7 and May 10 updates. I updated on May 7, and PNDstore noticed the update then, but it didn't notice the May 10 update. And I notice the version number in the Repo is still 1.1.0.1 like it was on May 7.
Trust me, the version number on May 7th was 1.0.3.+svn-r*something*. The "old" one from pickle had 0.0.0.r*something older* as version number.

I just uploaded a new version (1.1.0-2) to the repo. I worked with pickle on fixing the "crash when dying" and found out that it happens when being reset into an area with water. The cause for the crash itself is basically "bad behavior of the graphics driver". Pickle managed to implement detection of graphics features differently and now this crash should be fixed.

The other known issues are still valid though:
* When zooming in/out due to dialogs, edges of textures flicker.
* Every now and then the pandora might hardfreeze (bad 3D driver!). Then you have to hold the Pandora button and flip the power switch to reset. This can most likely just be fixed in the graphics driver.

To get the new frogatto version, just head over to the repo and download it. The changes are already committed into frogatto trunk for those who want to build it themselves.

Download frogatto from the repo

Back