Release Panjoust 0.0.1 Released!

MarkoeZ

arr matey?
Website
projectinfinity.org.uk
Well, here it is, the first official (demo) release of Panjoust for the Pandora! Nicely pnd packaged ofcourse.

Get it at the File Archive

If you tested some of the earlier versions of Panjoust (PC or Pandora), please check it out again if you found it too difficult. Quite some changes :)

As said, this is a demo release. That means there are are only 8 levels, and no multiplayer mode yet. But i took the Arcade approach for the demo (no save function yet) so it should be quite challenging. On my short playtests on the pandora, i myself have not reached level 8 yet, difficulty goes up pretty fast after the first 4 tutorial levels (and the last of those is not that easy either). But ofcourse i was testing more for collisions and strange behaviour than trying to reach the end.

Also the leveleditor is fully functional, but beta (as it states in the menu). Needs prettying up and in 2 very rare occasions it is still possible to crash it, currently working on that bug.

Enjoy!

Wow, really looking good. Love the graphics :)

And thinking of Multiplayer Joust... cool :D

A gp32x.de knights tournament :D

Last edited:
Glad you finally got a PND out! It's shaping up nicely.
Managed to finish the demo on the PND version and I have some suggestions again.
  • Collisions and controls feel better!
  • Tidy up those stray near magenta pixels!
  • You need a "restart" function for when you die so that it's not reloading EVERYTHING and re-caching those windmills!
  • A couple of the spiky enemies were floating by about a pixel, so maybe a "snap-to" function in the level editor would be useful
  • Pause should give you the option to quit... a simple pause menu.
  • Last time I checked there were some completely unused files in the source, so it could use a spring cleaning.

Ed and Jourdy: Thanks for the kind words :)

PokeParadox said:
Glad you finally got a PND out! It's shaping up nicely.
Managed to finish the demo on the PND version and I have some suggestions again.
  • Collisions and controls feel better!
  • Tidy up those stray near magenta pixels!
  • You need a "restart" function for when you die so that it's not reloading EVERYTHING and re-caching those windmills!
  • A couple of the spiky enemies were floating by about a pixel, so maybe a "snap-to" function in the level editor would be useful
  • Pause should give you the option to quit... a simple pause menu.
  • Last time I checked there were some completely unused files in the source, so it could use a spring cleaning.

Near magenta: I think my eyes are pretty good, perhaps im missing attention for detail, because i just don't see them

Restart, well, i'll get to that, but hey: Don't die!!! But seriously, is it that bad to wait for a second after you die?

Spikey guys: yep, that's possible. they are one of the last things i made a change to, and i had to move all of them a couple of pixels down. Since i quickly went through all the levels, one or two might not have been 100% accurate. I'll fix them and update the pnd.

Pause Menu: Yup, that is definately the next thing on the todo list

Files: already a lot stripped, but one or 2 small ones might remain. I'll do a complete review soon

Thanks for the feedback!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bosbeatle: looking forward to your opinion :)

Josh: There is a windows version online already, it just does not have the latest updates (3 weeks old). So it's just slightly trickier, but still very stable and playable. And about the same levels and graphics. Edit: and a linux build, but that's ooold and has only one music track
Get it here

Cheers!

Does this version already have the new collision system?

If so, I really would like to try a Windows version ;)

foxblock out

Yup, Collisionregion used for all interactions except the platforms (had an issue, will follow), and the specials like the finish and the seesaw, which have specific functions so will remain sort of hard coded.

Since, as usual ;), everybody is screaming about a windows build: im at my girlfriend now, with proper internet connection and the latest data pack on my pandora. So i'll upload that tonight, then i can get a windows executable online when im home after work tomorrow.

Keep the feedback coming!!

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

Ok, for people still waiting on their Pandora, and others interested, i made a new windows build.
Data pack and executable need to be downloaded seperately. Just extract everything into a folder of your choice and run the exe (folder eventually contains the executable, the dll's, and the images,sounds,music,etc folders)

Panjoust Windows Executable and Data Pack

Enjoy!

Just tried the Windows demo and it's really great! :) The graphics are amazing, especially the backgrounds and all those animations.
The music is also very good and fits perfectly. The moving sounds are a bit strange though, a little bit like a laser gun ;)

At one point my rock got stuck inside a platform and I couldn't pick up another one:
panjoust.jpg

I also got a suggestion: Enemy change their direction of movement really quickly. Would be better if they slow down just before they turn around just like the moving platforms in super mario brothers. Hope you get what I'm trying to say, hard to explain in English :(

Thanks for the build, works like a charm and the game is good (as stated before)

Have not noticed whether the collision detection is better than before, but it definitely works ;)
I have encountered the very same bug Jan-Nik described, though. I picked up a rock, moved over the catapult, which dropped it automatically and I was not able to pick up another one for that level.
Movement still was like I had picked up a rock, so it got more difficult to navigate.

May I also suggest that picking-up does not happen automatically, but only when the button is pressed while over a rock (and the pressed again to release it or hold it to keep the rock and release the button to throw the rock). Sometimes it is very annoying when the bird picks up a rock unintentionally.

Additionally it would be nice to actually be able to use the first catapult. It's but confusing this way as I tried to throw a rock at the other end for some time, but did not get to to move.

foxblock out

Hmm when I tried to run the Windows version it opened for a second (showing a black screen) and then closed.

Might be something to do with the fact that I was running Windows off of my iMac :p

Josh Yaxley said:
Hmm when I tried to run the Windows version it opened for a second (showing a black screen) and then closed.

Might be something to do with the fact that I was running Windows off of my iMac :p

You need some more files read the instructions at the download page

You mean the data pack? 'Cause I downloaded it and extracted it to the same folder as the .exe

hiya,

about the bug, i think i know what the issue is. should b really trivial to fix. thanks for letting me know.
Not home today/tomorrow, but i'll post updated executables and pnd as soon as i get there.

About panjoust on mac: no help here, sorry.

thanks for the feedback everyone!

markoez

Edit:and the platforms could use some updating, but i don't want them to get fat and use too much screenspace. you still need to be able to fly underneath them.

MarkoeZ said:
About panjoust on mac: no help here, sorry.

Well it should work because I have Windows XP installed on my Mac (as well as Mac OS X) and I was running it under Windows.

But don't sweat it :) I'll just play it when I get my Panda ;D

Back