GP32 From the Very bottom up...

Twimfy

OMG 3 years here!
Website
www.stctg.co.uk
Ok here's the deal. I have a LOT of time on my hands, the only thing I know about programming is a bit of C and a vague understanding of how game creating works. I know this is a tall request but I want to be able to develop for the GP32 and I need to know how. I'm looking for a tutorial or something which will start with the very basics and provide me with the tools I need to get started from the very beggining. Even if it just helps me put one letter on the screen. If there are any game creating tools for the GP32 which work in the way that you do everything in one GUI and then click a button and out pops a .fxe then that would be better.

I'm looking to make a platformer ultimately but anything would do, I just feel that my time could be used in the GP32 scene so much better than it is currently (basically telling other people to hurry up and finish there port/emu in an abusive manner).

Final note, I am not an idiot I've got a pretty good grasp on using computers and I'm using Windows XP proffesional in case you need to know my OS.

Thanks.

holy crap do you not know about rico's (excellent) tutorials??? i don't know where the are exactly tho...

More XP bashing? What a cliche... Don't care what people say, XP is damn good for the average user. It's so easy to bash - way too easy a target....

Hey back off with the XP stuff. I was simply stating it incase there were any Devkit problems with certain OS's. And besides I'm very comfortable with XP, as axeman rightly says its a cliche to talk it down, I've had no probs and it provides me with everything I need regardless of what I'm doing.

Calm down everyone, I was only joking :)

I've been bashing M$ for years and old habits die hard :)

I actually think M$ haven't done too bad a job with XP, and new users seem to be able to get to grips with it much easier than previous versions so they must be doing something right. The only real concern I have with XP is all the DRM stuff they keep adding. It makes me wonder where it's all going to end up.

Anyway, back to the subject of learning to code for the gp32 - I always find that looking through the source of other programs is a great way to learn a new language or system. There's usually little bits of code and ideas hidden within them that are hard to figure out just from tutorials or manuals. But saying that, you're better off starting with rico's tutorial until you're feeling a bit more adventurous :)

Sorry for getting hacked off there, its just I don't like it when people stereotype you based on what you use or own, including operating systems. I may only be 18 but I've been through them a large amount of OS's from workbench to XP and I have to say that I would choose XP above any other format. I can't quite put my finger on why just Its grown on me over the past couple of months (even though sonic CD won't run :angry: )

Anyway, just this afternoon I've took up building a Sonic the Hedgehog PC game which I'd abandoned for a while, and because it's going so well I'm just gonna do GP32 on the side as its going to require more learning than I can be bothered with at the moment (although the tutorials are really useful, just It means I'll have to try and work with two very similar but different forms of C (one just plain C and the other this odd C-script I've been talking about) and I don't have that much time.) I'll stick a link to a demo some time soon in the general chat part of the forum.

Last question. If I were to steal sprites from a Sonic game and create my own for the GP32 (ambituous I know!) would there be any objections from the community in the sense that its breech of copyright and practically a rom?

god I love brackets!

No objection for us! but you may not be able to have a public release, and may get an email or letter of complaint from sonic. anyway if you do and your engine is pretty good, you can always change sprites afterwards.

Regarding Rico's tutorial, there is a really bad link on his tutorial link page; the tutorial reads: "..However I noticed a lot of the download links are dead now, so I prepared my own kit. Get it here..." My system crashed after I clicked. Here's the text of an email sent to Rico:

Hello,

Did you know that the link, (DELETED FOR YOUR PROTECTION),
on your Tutorial 1 page can cause an os crash? I've tried three times to download the file, twice with "save target as", and all three have completely crashed my computer. I'm running Windoz 98 SE. I download files all the time, have a high speed download link, and generally have no problems with downloads. The getting file info comes up, freezes and finally goes to a completely blank screen. This is a new one for me! Has anyone else complained of this? By the way, I'm here in the U.S.A.

:angry:

seedpress: I very much doubt it is my fault, I have had roughly 2,000 downloads with no reports of crashing :) Nobody else has complained... I really can't help you out there :(

Also I hadn't checked my mail, I just did and as I type it's getting 1745 new messages :blink: I think my mail server is resending me last month's e-mail again :p

Worked perfect for me. If you used MSIE, that may be the problem. I wont bash windows but I will bash the peice of crap browser windows comes with. Also you need winrar to unzip the file.

I didn't get the mail as my client was busy downloading 1,745 other emails (basically the server marked all its messages as new :( )

However I've had thousands of downloads for the rar file and no complaints so far, so I really can't help you ... :blink:

Back