Full Speed Snes Emulation On A Gp2x?

cheerup347

Still Fresh
hi, im thinking about buying a gp2x but i want to know what emulators it will runa t full spoeed.

i would like

NES, SNES, mega-drive, sega saturn to run at full speed

do they all?

thanks

Sega Saturn Full Speed on the GP2x? Keep dreaming...

And SNES will be full speed when someone rewrites it.

Squidge said:
Sega Saturn Full Speed on the GP2x? Keep dreaming...

And SNES will be full speed when someone rewrites it.
But the psp has got a n64 emulator. :rolleyes:

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Fullspeed is such a relative, annoying term. It's all about whether you have fun with the games. And you do. Genesis, NES, and SNES all run great on the GP2X. Very fun, and the emulators are very polished. If you choose to be a snob and refuse to play something with any kind of frameskip, then so be it, but you'd be missing out on a lot.

Has anyone even thought about starting a SS emu? I wonder how much slower it would be compared to our current PSX emu.

well i tried one on a mid-range pc not too long ago, and it was excruciatingly slow.

snes is fullspeed for some games. if the game doesn't use too much fancy stuff you can use the fast renderer in squidesnes, if there's transparency and weird layer stacking you can use pocketsnes or squidge's accurate renderer, both of which will hover around fs 1 - 3, again depending on the game. for instance, smw doesn't skip any, ff6 skips a couple (doesn't detract from the game though). games with extra hardware like superfx & sa-1 aren't emulated.

in my experience snes on gp2x is better than on psp.

genesis/md and nes are full-speed (in that most games work without skipping frames and accurate sound.

Squidge said:
Has anyone even thought about starting a SS emu? I wonder how much slower it would be compared to our current PSX emu.
I don't think anyone would bother, Saturn is a beast. A beast of Biblical proportions, something of an amalgamation of many other beasts (in this case, not especially impressive beasts but a horrifying amalgamation nonetheless).

In terms of run of the mill CPUs it has two SH2's, an SH1, and a 68K. Then in terms of additional programmable chips it has two custom VDPs, a DSP, and to top it all off some 4bit CPU. Now throw in all the other standard goodies. Everyone knows that it's the CPU/other programmable chip emulation that bogs down emulators of higher end machines. Throw in a bunch of them and you need at least that many more times oomph to get it going.

I don't really have to say much though, just look at how much power Saturn emulators for PC require, then compare it to PS1 emulators (or N64, if you like).

Alex. said:
If you choose to be a snob and refuse to play something with any kind of frameskip, ...
So you basically mean "If you are DaveC"? :p j/k

The SEGA Saturn is full of all sorts of clever stuff. Part of the reason it never really took off was reputedly how complicated it was to get the full potential out of the hardware.
Bloody SEGA, could've still been around today if they'd competed better against Sony.

halo9 said:
The SEGA Saturn is full of all sorts of clever stuff. Part of the reason it never really took off was reputedly how complicated it was to get the full potential out of the hardware.
Bloody SEGA, could've still been around today if they'd competed better against Sony.

hmm...well they're around, but only kinda sorta...the sammy sega holdings stuff saddens me. but there is a nights game coming out for the wii, plus a game with both sonic and mario, and they still make arcade games, and pretty good ones at that.

trooper said:

Trooper
NO, no, no. The PSP has the same CPU as the N64 so its very easy to start writing a N64 emu, but it runs very bad...
The N64 it´s a powerfull machine to be emulated by GP2x or PSP....maybe the next gen (GP3x? ;))

arquillos said:
trooper said:

Trooper
NO, no, no. The PSP has the same CPU as the N64 so its very easy to start writing a N64 emu, but it runs very bad...
The N64 it´s a powerfull machine to be emulated by GP2x or PSP....maybe the next gen (GP3x? ;))

Trooper knows that. It was a sarcastic remark as we get a lot of people going "Why can't we have N64/Sega Saturn/Hal9000 emulation on the gp2x"...
Trooper! Remember to use your sarcasm tags... [/sarcasm]

xnopasaranx said:
arquillos said:
trooper said:

Trooper

Trooper knows that. It was a sarcastic remark as we get a lot of people going "Why can't we have N64/Sega Saturn/Hal9000 emulation on the gp2x"...
Trooper! Remember to use your sarcasm tags... [/sarcasm]

I thought this :rolleyes: was a good indication of sarcasm, Mmmmmm. It looks good too.

Trooper

Back