Fyi: Beats Of Rage

Looks very cool Squidge, keep up the work, wouldn't mind playing that castlevania BOR mod on GP32. But if it's not possible who cares, it'll still be a great game!

Just an idea for fixing the blue (I don't exactly know much in the way of C, so it'd probably not work)
Why not just add a loop that adds +505000 or something to each pixel before rendering? Or would that be inacurate and slow?

Its looking brilliant Squidge :D

Daz_Genetic posted on Mar 21 2004 at 05:21 AM said:
I did a quick check in photoshop. Your RGB channels are in the wrong order. They are currently BGR.
Spot on! I swapped the B and R around and it looks normal now !

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the blue ish tint - gave it that dark futuristic feel. ;)

Apparently you can add KOF91 characters to this and play with them! (some minor graphical editing involved though).

Squidge - you're a legend. :D

Just a little note to say that this project is currently on hold whilst I battle against yet another work-related deadline that is sapping up my free time. It will get finished however, but probably not before the end of the gbax compo.

yea seriously dude take your time. no need to rush things, but i was wondering if u can link some more screen shots to keep us drooling for more :)

would you also be open to taking any ideas from us to see what the users would want out of this game?

Well, at the minute, it almost plays the same as the other platform versions, with the exception of that you can only choose one character (due to ram issues). The only thing I thought of was that maybe store the highest level you have reached to allow a level selection next time of anything less than that rather than starting from level 1 all the time, but that's all really.

No harm in giving ideas however, just so long as you know there's no guarantee of them being implemented.

This is from the Beats of Rage forum regarding the GP32, so I don't know if it helps :blink: .....

"Have a look at the changes I made to sprite.c in the DC version if you want to save memory. My other suggestion would be to try and find a way to make bor.c release sprites it's not using for the current level.

Failing that, perhaps recompress the sprites as 4bpp (when possible) and draw them using a modified putsprite_remap?

The 12MB figure I gave for the DC version includes 3MB for file cache, so the game itself is really only using about 9MB. "

Neillparatzo

=====================================================
Beats of Rage
Site Admin

The easiest way to free more memory would probably be to free all enemy/item/obstable models between (sub)stages, and then (re)loading only those that appear in the next stage.

Since many different enemies appear in stage 6, you might have to split it up into more separate parts, or edit out some of the variance.

=====================================================

Anyway, utmost respect to Squidge and the other GP32 devr's :)

Luckily my current version has the option of displaying on screen exactly how much memory is in use at the current time, how much is left, and has the option of displaying exactly where it's used. The player sprites seemed to use up the most memory, so they were the first to go. Once it's up and running properly however, I will try and get the memory from elsewhere and put the other players back in.

Ok, I'm now back on it, and its look good...

Apologies for the crap quality of these pictures, but I don't have a digital camera, so there are taken using my phone.

31-03-04_2018.jpg

31-03-04_2019.jpg

31-03-04_2020.jpg

31-03-04_2021.jpg

31-03-04_2022.jpg

I expect to release the first version this week (or weekend). It's already playable, just no sound, and a wee bit fast (like double the speed of the original!)

Back