Game based on Zelda: A link to the past with monkeys?

second exodous

Advanced Member
I'm having trouble finding a game that used the SNES Zelda engine that was only released in Japan but got a English translation. I swear it was on my Pandora but I must have taken it off of my SD card. I can't remember much about the game, you're on a island solving puzzles. It was really popular when the translation was finished but I am having difficulty finding it. Does anyone know what game it is?

EDIT: Ok, the game is Marvelous: Mōhitotsu no Takarajima or "Marvelous: Another Treasure Island". It is a really cool game. It says it was inspired by Zelda: A Link to the Past but the graphics are so similar I think it uses the same engine and a lot of the same graphics. The puzzles have some head scratchers, I had to look up walkthroughs but when I read the sultion I though 'well duh'. I highly recommend this game.

Last edited:
yeah, I'm doing a play through of it right now basically to keep myself busy with video editing while there is 3 feet of snow on the ground. I'm editing the first one right now, I say 'um' a lot but with the video game music in the back ground I can cut them out and no one will be able to notice.

I played it when the finished patch came out and was convinced that Nintendo would do an official translation of it, this would have been a much better addition than Star Fox II on the SNES Mini but I guess they didn't need to do any work with Star Fox II where this they would need to translate it (and localize it, some Japanese-ish adult humor here and there).

Really good game, I highly recommend patching and playing it. Orrrrr, if you like to watch play-throughs you could watch mine!.

Yeah, Romhacking has two translations, one messes up the graphics a little bit and the font isn't legible but the finished one works great, I've played through it and am playing through it again for my play-through.

Like I said, it is a really good game, it blows my mind why Nintendo never released it outside of Japan. I play a lot of fan translations this easily fits in the top 5.

This was released after the N64 was already out for a couple of months, so they probably did not want to invest too much into the SNES platform at that point. Also the game is targeted at young kids, and the market was maybe shifting more to "mature" audiences (ie teenagers) in the late 90s.

I also think the game has limited appeal tbh. While the graphics and the concept are great, the gameplay is kind of shallow. A lot of the puzzles are just tedious (try out all combinations). Any difficulties I had were mostly due to the hints not coming across (I suspect because of translation issues). They could have done much more with the Lost Vikings stile complementary roles concept.

Still recommended to check out, because it is pretty unique, and (mostly, except for the tedious parts) a chill, easy-going experience with a well polished presentation.

Huh, you're right, it was at the end of the SNES. I think it is as tedious as Link to the Past and I did hit a few puzzles that I didn't feel were explained really well. If it is anything like what I read about rom hacking they have a limited space for text so they couldn't explain it as well as they needed to and I also think a few things are lost in translation.

Then again I don't know how different it would be if it was localized by Nintendo, I play a lot of fan translations that have areas where it is missing something and sometimes I think it would just be taken out if it was localized officially. Sometimes fan translations are better than the original, look at FF IV, they took a lot of the items out and the re-translation I think is better than what we got. . .

Once you upload your gameplay, post the link! I'll watch it.
I'm using blender and it's a night mare. I've edited every video I've ever uploaded and then some movies I ripped to my HD with blender and never had a problem. I don't know if it is the video that OBS records but wow, nothing stays cut and when I go to render audio and video that I cut appears in front of or behind where I cut it under the other streams. I rand it through Handbrake and it still is having problems. Handbrake video having a problem is weird because I edit it all the time. I don't like how GoPro cuts their videos into chunks so you need to import them and stitch them together but I think it might be for a reason because I never have problems editing their video.

Anyway, I started over last night, worked till 2 AM, and I'll finish it tonight.

Well, it is too long to upload to youtube, it is 56 minutes, and I can't embed Dtube, Bitchute, or bit.tube here. I'll just post a link for Dtube, I don't think you need to be registered or anything to watch it there:

Dtube: https://d.tube/#!/v/bucket.traveler/i455k8dc
bit.tube: https://bit.tube/play?hash=QmeJ3dSnNBrQBryHVfTfQDhwjwhgePiK16FherCPwyJpSF&channel=188213

Looks like it is a no-go for youtube and bitchute, a little too long at 56 minutes so I guess after I get 3 or 4 out I'll start breading them up for youtube. Thanks for watching!

EDIT: Hmm, I think it looks alright, I recorded it in 720p because my notebook was struggling to record at 1080p. So it is 720p at 30 fps, I might bump it up to 60 fps for the second part. 16-bit games I really don't think it matters that much though.

Last edited:
I had to enable cookies and then all kinds of scripts to get a mp4 link out of d-tube, but that would run for 10 minutes or so before glitching out (guess they're doing on-demand transcoding at the moment).

In the other thread you asked if the audio levels were good, but I'll post here. They sounded fine to me, and I could clearly hear both you and the game audio as was required. I listened to the first 15 minutes or so before giving it with it glitching out, so I'll have to try again with anything else you upload.

I had to enable cookies and then all kinds of scripts to get a mp4 link out of d-tube, but that would run for 10 minutes or so before glitching out (guess they're doing on-demand transcoding at the moment).

In the other thread you asked if the audio levels were good, but I'll post here. They sounded fine to me, and I could clearly hear both you and the game audio as was required. I listened to the first 15 minutes or so before giving it with it glitching out, so I'll have to try again with anything else you upload.
I think it is already transcoded, it is peer-to-peer so it might be getting seeded. No one on Dtube mentioned it was messed up but I'm not sure. Oh, I uploaded it to bit.tube also, I'll post that link also.

True, I have similar issues with my method of playback on recent youtube uploads; I usually leave it a few hours and it works then. I did seem to be getting a 720p file to play back, so perhaps it wasn't transcoding it for me, but it needing to be seeded out to various more local servers makes more sense.

I did seem to be getting a 720p file to play back, so perhaps it wasn't transcoding it for me, but it needing to be seeded out to various more local servers makes more sense.
It is actually 720p, OBS recording in 1080p was not getting the full fps so I dropped it to 720p. I also think maybe registered Steemit/Dtube users get priority, at least I heard that before, so if you aren't registered Steemit user and logged on you might not get the best speed.

It is pretty fun to have viewers though, I was excited about twitch, the best time I ever had playing games was when my little brother and I, we'd trade off the controller on single player games. Can't really do that on twitch but at least you can talk to ppl. Unfortunately my internet is no where near fast enough for twitch so I need to do this.

Back