Game Contents Open Store

dwarf shortage
Website
Visit site
www.engadget.com/2009/04/21/gamepark-wiz-app-store-coming-this-summer/

GPH will soon be giving us an awesome website, offering exciting homebrew downloads for the Wiz taken straight from this comminity....

Oh wait, we can do that already.

It`s an app store, not a file archive.

CODE
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/handhelds/gp2x-wiz-gets-app-store-in-august-593597?src=rss&attr=all

Sounds awesome, and the article mentions that it will be accessible directly from the Wiz via the WiFi adapter. Exciting, go GPH! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This one smells like big fart from GPH. So they want to take over wiz gp2x.de repository [ games from it ], and put it on GPH servers, or what? Or maybe will only keep commercial games in there? This one is really bad from the beginning. Whats the point to build app-store like when wiz havnt got wifi built-in? Not every buyer will buy wifi add on [ similiar situyation to gp2x cradle ]. Im afraid they just wanted to be "trendy" instead of "usefull"...

Dont get me wrong, i mean only that past mistakes with building wiz without wifi will lay shadow on the future of appstore for wiz. No question about that...

...after some thinkin...

And what about sharing the community? I dont think they''ll create only app store, i think they''ll also create soething similiar to nokias ngage 2.0 community. App store + Games + reviews and own forum/message boards. This means also that after starting this one, they''ll do everything to make it a primary destination for [new] Wiz users. This means also, no support for gp32x.de or maybe [ worse ] fighting to dominate over gp32x.de. The question "why gph should do such a thing to us?" comes. Its easy to explain. The business strategy always floating near money. If you have community under your wings, you have total control over business plans, and we know it already GPH changes strategy radically this time. GPH now targeting mass buyers , not only developers and gadget enthusiasts. Thats why i think they'll show the claws to gp32x.demunity short after releasing the wiz.

...after after...

And what about quality check on appstore servers, do you think they'll add all homebrewed game to appstore? In my opinion , NOT. If they aiming on mass buyers, they'll provide only max quality games / progs for Wiz, and this is another shoot in the head for Open community, dont'ya think?

The sharing community will be the same as it has always been with our own file archive, but GPH are launching an official App Store and from what I hear it's gonna be good.

So don't panic :)

I don't see it as a bad idea at all. Some homebrew stuff is worth paying for. If authors want to sell their stuff it shouldn't be a problem.

There's nothing bad here. Or even new. The old Gp32 had an "app store" too.

Hmm, that rhymes...

Its also an invitation for commercial developers to get on board. It presents the WIZ as a viable commercial product. Nothing wrong with the Apple $.99 cent game mentality.

'Prophet' said:
There's nothing bad here. Or even new. The old Gp32 had an "app store" too.

Hmm, that rhymes...
Of course AppStore itself is not bad idea at all, i think very positive about it. Im just worry about "UNVISIBLE" plans of GPH about future of Wiz and the community suppiorting it [ aka. gp32x.de ]. Wiz need to get this damn wifi internal to really do something good with appstore for Wiz.

There is no reason why people without the WiFi adaptor will not just be able to buy stuff via a normal PC and move files onto their Wiz as you did with GP32 commercial games that you got for download.

Here is hoping for a big korean userbase also, to allow myself to become rich of course.

'Peter R' said:
There is no reason why people without the WiFi adaptor will not just be able to buy stuff via a normal PC and move files onto their Wiz.
..and from "usefull" appstore we get just "trendy" appStore to follow the marketing/selling standards estabilished by iphone. Imho , this will be pointless, since GPH really dont own professional dev studio, so they will also depends on external devers and their creations. Of course we have a few excellent devers [ just to say: Alex, Ruckage.. ] but for now they making games because of hobby, not for making money. If somebody wants to get real money from appstore , should NOT to go to Wiz Appstore, because weak tieing appstore with wiz handheld creates weak link between wiz userbase and appstore. iPhone appStore is so succesfull not because it exist, but because is tied strong with handset. Every user of iphone will use appstore even going by bus or in school. This is the real power of AppStore. Anytime anywhere accessable.

I like this idea of the appstore although we would have to look out with licenses for one i don't think anyone using SDL could sell their game due to this or am i wrong ? I'm not very knowledged about these licenses but i thought one had to get a commerical lincense for SDL when one wants to sell their game.

Anyone know more about this ?

joyrider said:
I like this idea of the appstore although we would have to look out with licenses for one i don't think anyone using SDL could sell their game due to this or am i wrong ? I'm not very knowledged about these licenses but i thought one had to get a commerical lincense for SDL when one wants to sell their game.

Anyone know more about this ?
SDL is released under LGPL and has been used in commercial titles before.

This page covers the details:
CODE
www.libsdl.org/license-lgpl.php

Basically, if you're dynamically linking to it and acknowledge that you're using it in the docs, you should be fine :)

Back