Game Editor Pro

Hyperpc

Website
Visit site
I can't get game editor pro to work.
I got it from the gbax site and it keeps asking me for a key and a name, can someone give them to me. if it is not free they should have said so :angry:

Hyperpc said:
I can't get game editor pro to work.
I got it from the gbax site and it keeps asking me for a key and a name, can someone give them to me. if it is not free they should have said so :angry:
Theres a free trial version available. I dont know whats on the GBAX site.

the trial version doesnt allow GP2X games. It only costs about £15 to get the full version though

Last edited by a moderator:
I use game editor pro. It's very cool. Check out my OidZone game in the homebrew thread. I paid for the Pro version.

I haven't tried the gbax version. the author's email address is makslane@game-editor.com

What's REALLY cool about Game editor is you can put your game together and play it in game mode in the program on your PC, and when you're ready to test it on the unit you can export to gp2x. Makes development VERY VERY fast.

Go to game-editor.com and download the current demo version 1.38

I can export to gp2x for you if you send me your project files. :)

It's horrible that something like that did go through to the GBAX! For the first the program has barely anything to do with GP2X, and for the second it's a F'ing demo! How rude. Would be forgivable if it was full version. I don't say the program is bad but I say it does not belong to GBAX in my opinion!

I was very surprised he entered it. If he "crippled" it so it ONLY exported gp2x, it would have been an awesome entry. If it's the regular demo that doesn't export to gp2x or other handheld, why bother.

has anybody ran it yet? I don't want to install it to look at it and have it overwrite my pro install.

berighteous said:
has anybody ran it yet? I don't want to install it to look at it and have it overwrite my pro install.
Yeah hyperpc tried it and you need to register it to use it.

I got the pro version but havent made anything yet. Im still getting to grips with it. Its really wasy to learn though. Just watch the demos :D

berighteous said:
What's REALLY cool about Game editor is you can put your game together and play it in game mode in the program on your PC, and when you're ready to test it on the unit you can export to gp2x. Makes development VERY VERY fast.
That's what loads of people do anyway, but using SDL or Fenix.

Game editor is insanely easy to use. Once you get through it's quirks, it's very cool. If you have a working knowledge of C you can do nearly anything in it.

One thing I REALLY like is that it gives you one gpe file for your gp2x. No other files required. No art, music, runtimes, or anything else anybody can pilfer or figure out how you did the game.

berighteous said:
One thing I REALLY like is that it gives you one gpe file for your gp2x. No other files required. No art, music or anything else anybody can pilfer or figure out how you did the game.
Also makes it easier to distribute your game

berighteous said:
Game editor is insanely easy to use. Once you get through it's quirks, it's very cool. If you have a working knowledge of C you can do nearly anything in it.

One thing I REALLY like is that it gives you one gpe file for your gp2x. No other files required. No art, music, runtimes, or anything else anybody can pilfer or figure out how you did the game.
If you have a knoledge of C you can do nearly anything in C ;)

I don't understand - entering programs into the GBAX Coding Compo that don't work for the GP2X unless you purchase them?! :blink: Thats absurd, and should lead to an instant disqualification.

Now, if it was like berighteous said, and only worked for the gp2x, that wouldn't be so bad...

Yup, they say that about every compile/game maker/etc... Until someone writes a decompiler :D

true enough, but why would someone spend all that time writing a decompiler when they could be spending it on better things...like maybe writing a vectrex emulator? :lol:

Maybe because some people don't have much time, and so they spend that time on what is interesting? ;)

You got to say, reversing a completely unknown file format has got to be more interesting than emulating a system you don't really care about :)

yeah, but think of the tens of people who would sing your praises for bringing Spike back to life! There's gotta be at least ten...

I bet all the arts and music are simply somewhere at the end of the .gpe file and can be easily ripped ;)

I have GameEditor Pro Full Version since about half a year... it's nice, but has some quirks (collision doesn't always work correctly, and when you use sound, the gp2x version gets awfully slow...)

EvilDragon said:
I bet all the arts and music are simply somewhere at the end of the .gpe file and can be easily ripped ;)
Strange you should say that, as I ripped a couple out of Oidzone as a test :D

Squidge said:
EvilDragon said:
Strange you should say that, as I ripped a couple out of Oidzone as a test :D

Hehe ;) Well... I didn't expect them to be encrypted in some way... and THAT was one common method back in the old DOS days ;)

Last edited:
Strange you should say that, as I ripped a couple out of Oidzone as a test

thanx, I guess... Why you'd want to bother is beyond me, but if it makes you happy!

SPIKE!

When I originaly wrote the dos game in 1997, I trashed the palettes on some of the 8 bit art in the data files so people'd be less likely to rip it out.
BKGR1.gif

Back