Game Editor

It's been referred to, quite reasonably, as a mini laptop computer. Mini desktop is stretching the boundaries of anybody's imagination!

Pleng said:
It's been referred to, quite reasonably, as a mini laptop computer. Mini desktop is stretching the boundaries of anybody's imagination!
Laptops have gained power in recent years. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleng said:
As have desktops
Uhhuh Game Editor does not require a Quad Core with a top of the line 3D Graphics card and 8GB of ram to run :rolleyes:

Pleng said:
Or wrap them with Ginge *-)

Naaaah, that would be 320x240. I want full 800x480 :D

TylerAW said:
It would be nice to make games for the Pandora with this program but we all keep calling the Pandora a mini desktop computer it has to be possible to get the editor running on a Pandora. ;)
Please :pandora2ut4: > :wiz:

It should be possible for sure, but the runtime might be possible to be ported within a few hours while the editor could take a few days.
So I'd start with the runtime and port the editor later.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Pleng said:

TylerAW said:
It would be nice to make games for the Pandora with this program but we all keep calling the Pandora a mini desktop computer it has to be possible to get the editor running on a Pandora. ;)
Please :pandora2ut4: > :wiz:

It should be possible for sure, but the runtime might be possible to be ported within a few hours while the editor could take a few days.
So I'd start with the runtime and port the editor later.
Thank you for getting my point of wanting a full port, a run time is a nice start :) and with Ginge you get a lower resolution :)

I just had a quick hack at compiling it. I really really really hope SDL is included for completion purposes and not because it is full of required hacks. That's the only thing that stopped it from compiling properly, the dependence on this included SDL which doesn't seem to compile properly. It'll take a while to work through everything and convince it to use the standard SDL, but then it might not work. We'll see.
Or I can try and get the included SDL to work, but that seems like a poor idea: it should work with the system's SDL so that it can take advantage of improvements and stuff.

WizardStan said:
I just had a quick hack at compiling it. I really really really hope SDL is included for completion purposes and not because it is full of required hacks. That's the only thing that stopped it from compiling properly, the dependence on this included SDL which doesn't seem to compile properly. It'll take a while to work through everything and convince it to use the standard SDL, but then it might not work. We'll see.
Or I can try and get the included SDL to work, but that seems like a poor idea: it should work with the system's SDL so that it can take advantage of improvements and stuff.
I apperciate you trying this a few questions:
1. Are you trying to compile the full Editor to run on a Pandora or Exe's?
2. What exacltly is wrong with SDLs?
3. What are SDLs? :p
Thank You and I hope this work either way Full Editor or Exe any would be nice.

SDL is a graphics library. It's a standard library already on the Pandora, but for some reason the Game Editor source also includes a version of it. The version that Game Editor includes doesn't seem to want to compile properly, and really shouldn't be used anyway because the one on the Pandora is being tuned for the Pandora specifically, but the engine won't compile without having compiled the included SDL library first. I need to change makefiles to try and use the Pandora's SDL and ignore the included one and hope that it will work. If SDL is included because it has been changed specifically for Game Editor, then there could be problems (like, if extra functions were added that don't exist in the default library. It's a bit of a mess.
In theory both the engine and the editor should come out of this, but we'll see.

TylerAW said:
Pleng said:
As have desktops
Uhhuh Game Editor does not require a Quad Core with a top of the line 3D Graphics card and 8GB of ram to run :rolleyes:

No it doesn't. But that's beside the point. Backing up your argument that the Pandora has been compared to a mini desktop because it can run one application is ridiculous. By that argument you could use XFCE, gEdit, or mPlayer as examples. All of which can also be run on desktops, laptops, and (aside from XFCE) some mobile phones. The modern day desktop will feature, as you have pointed out, Mullti Core CPUS, Masses of RAM, Huge Graphics Cards plus HD Monitor outputs, Ethernet, multiple USB ports..... And it will be able to run games and APPS far in advance of what the Pandora can.

The Pandora has NOTHING in common with a modern desktop, in form or function. In fact even laptop is a bit of a stretch, as of course you can get some pretty powerful lappies too. A mini netbook is the only reasonable comparison.

And yes, Game Editor can run on netbooks. That still doesn't make your comparison valid.

EvilDragon said:
Pleng said:

I was going to ask about that. Is Ginge that strict? Or could it theoretically run a GP2X game that requested a higher resolution?

WizardStan said:
SDL is a graphics library. It's a standard library already on the Pandora, but for some reason the Game Editor source also includes a version of it. The version that Game Editor includes doesn't seem to want to compile properly, and really shouldn't be used anyway because the one on the Pandora is being tuned for the Pandora specifically, but the engine won't compile without having compiled the included SDL library first. I need to change makefiles to try and use the Pandora's SDL and ignore the included one and hope that it will work. If SDL is included because it has been changed specifically for Game Editor, then there could be problems (like, if extra functions were added that don't exist in the default library. It's a bit of a mess.
In theory both the engine and the editor should come out of this, but we'll see.
Thank You I will wait patiently with hopefully some good results.

Pleng said:
I was going to ask about that. Is Ginge that strict? Or could it theoretically run a GP2X game that requested a higher resolution?

I think it CAN run at a higher resolution, but Game Editor creates 320x240 as soon as you create a file for the GP2X ;)

@WizardStan:
The runtime doesn't show ANY output or error if you run it without a datafile, just fyi.

Last edited:
Back