"rockbot" - Retro Mega Man-Style Game Engine And Editor

There are a ton of Bomberman clones and I think there are some with network support. I remember one on the Linux game tome being updated quite a bit a while back.

... Oh my !

And 2-player co-op?

I think I'll have to keep an eye on this project. Can't contribute anything programming-wise, but maybe I'll take a look on that level editor, hopefully it's easy to work on. Or maybe think of some kind of story/plot to contribute or something.

I've got a couple of ideas pinging around inside my head right now.

Also, I can't help but think that someone needs to put a Volcano Man into a game, somewhere.
grin.gif

Attachments

• grin.gif
    grin.gif
    352 bytes · Views: 151
I know Bomberman VERY well. :D

But Mega Man only from these one Cartoon Series. I never found this Show very good but at least the (german) intro was great:

I'm a complete Mega Man fanatic - if you want any recommendations for which games for a newcomer to the series to try out, I'd be happy to give my thoughts. :p

Also, hah, the Ruby-Spears cartoon series! A lot of people dislike it, but I found it entertaining in spite of its cheesiness and huge liberties with art-direction (it's quite a recent thing to me - it never aired in the UK, so I imported the DVD sets from the US a few years ago). :p It's got some amusing scripts.

I don't like cartoons based off of games in general, it just never works out. Maybe with new games where the look and feel of the game is basically a cartoon anyway, but with the 8-bit games I'm always thinking 'thats not how they looked. . .' Also, there is not enough story in the 8-bit games I remember to really make a cartoon and stretch it into a series of cartoons.

I guess they used the same opening for every version of the cartoon, considering the cost for such quality animation it makes sense to. The show was full of a lot of crap stories and liberties taken with the overall story of the game (which there was plenty of for the sake of a cartoon if they just played it the way the games presented it in the later games in the series and the official documents.)

I will say I enjoyed a few here and there, I particularly enjoyed the Megaman X cameo episode.

But yeah, the megaman games are a classic example of the platform genre and should be a part of any collection of games for capable emulators.

Fzero said:
They are classics so yes

Go play it here mate
-link-

You may want to edit out that link, as it's just an online emulator that temporarily downloads a ROM to play. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The site's disclaimer.
Nintendo8.com is a link site and does NOT host any ROMs. All games on assumed to be abandonware or copyleft. Read our copyright policy for details. How can we improve nintendo8.com? Please send us your suggestions! Thanks to Dan/SB for graphical inspiration and Jamie Sanders for the excellent vNES. Donate to Jamie now! This page is in no way affiliated or endorsed by Nintendo or Nintendo of America. "Nintendo" is a registered trademark of Nintendo of America Inc. Please consider buying a Nintendo Wii if you want to play all those titles on a real console! A lot of cult classic Nintendo 8 bit games are available from the Wii Virtual Console.

They're really assuming that all of those very well-known and very in-copyright and (in a number of cases) very still-sold games, that they name above that disclaimer, are "abandonware" or "copyleft"? :lol:

just fun - how did you find it? i was stumbling around the net and then it popped up. i kept it in mind and tadaaa, here it is. it's good to see that it compiles at least without hazzle for the dingoo - so it's well made for portability! great B)

second exodous said:
I don't like cartoons based off of games in general, it just never works out. Maybe with new games where the look and feel of the game is basically a cartoon anyway, but with the 8-bit games I'm always thinking 'thats not how they looked. . .' Also, there is not enough story in the 8-bit games I remember to really make a cartoon and stretch it into a series of cartoons.
Right. Totaly fail was the Mega Man from "Captain N" :lol: Small and fat and somehow completely wrong.
198243-cntgmmegaman_super.jpg

I'm glad that Samus Aran never appeared in this Show. :D

fusion_power said:
I'm glad that Samus Aran never appeared in this Show. :D
Look for the Captain N comic books ;)

Regarding Captain N - I have to admit, liberties and cheesiness and all, I love that show (and it was a phenomenon at the time). Though Mega Man's appearance in it was less like the Blue Bomber, and more like the Green Gnome. :lol: (And yes, I bought both of the DVD box-sets that make up the complete series. They're already ripped and waiting to be watched through on my Pandora, along with the Ruby-Spears Mega Man series.)

crow_riot said:
just fun - how did you find it? i was stumbling around the net and then it popped up. i kept it in mind and tadaaa, here it is. it's good to see that it compiles at least without hazzle for the dingoo - so it's well made for portability! great B)
I found the DS version being mentioned on PDRoms. I don't check the site all that often, so it's almost spooky.

It should be interesting on the Pandora, I think.
grin.gif

Attachments

• grin.gif
    grin.gif
    352 bytes · Views: 133
ok i have removed that link now then, i dont care about roms and legal blah blah myself but i hear what your saying, and dont want banning from these boards before i even got my pandora eh :)

Hello, I am the author of Rockbot and it was very fun to find this port (thanks google analytics) about the game :D

About some points talked about here:
- the game physics are indeed bad, but I did not found any site with information of, for example, how much time a jump lasts, or how much pixels it does change horizontally. So, I did kind of my measures, and in the next beta we'll have a much better jumping with gravity (starts fast, slows down, go fast again when falling). Also, part of the problem is because I've placed *a lot* of printfs in the code, and this I/O slows down things a lot.

- I am very glad you guys could port it so easily. I've designed the code to be very simple, and used C instead of C++ to avoid tricky issues while porting. I want to buy a PSP to port to it also, but you guys just made me wish a GP32X now! :D

- It yes, should be pretty easy to port to GP32X, once it have more RAM than out current minimal target that is the Nintendo DS (4 MB). CPU usage is a bit high, but that is because no optimizations have made in the code so far.

- Just last week, another guy came to help code the game, and he is getting just now familiarized with the code with my help, so, do not hold your breath for amazing new features on it for a while, but our plan is to release a stable version by the end of the year, with complete stages, original graphics and sound/music. 2 months is too few time with only two people developing :)

Anyone wishing to contribute is welcome, we need sound effects, graphics and more coding :)

Back