Release Game Soundtracks

OK, I'll add it in the next update. Waiting for more suggestions though - I'm not  going to push updates just for one extra game.

It's quite interesting how this little application was started by the way. It all started with this repo comment for NubNub from ekianjo:

@_wb_ , one feature request: could you make a "soundtrack" menu in the game in order to be able to simply listen to the great mods you have included ? A kind of mini-player, if you know what I mean.
I started thinking about how I would implement this. Adding a "Soundtrack" item to the menu of NubNub would be trivial, and playback of the mods would also be easy with SDL_mixer. But I would also need to implement some kind of interface to let you select a song, pause, maybe seek, randomize the order, etc. etc. So that started to look like a lot of work. And I'm fundamentally rather lazy :) . But then I thought: why implement my own player if there are already so many nice players out there like Audacious?

So then I had the idea to implement ekianjo's feature request by simply calling Audacious and pointing it to the right folder. But then I thought: why do this only for NubNub? This system would work for lots of other games as well. And so the idea for a dedicated "Game Soundtracks" PND was born :)

This really shows how useful repo feedback can be: in this case one "innocent" feature request resulted in quite a bit more than what was asked for :)

I think most of the low-hanging fruits are now included, so maybe it's now time to tackle some of the more complicated ones. Most of the game soundtracks included at the moment are "easy" because all that needs to be done is to mount the game PND and use the music in some folder. Only the visual novels are a bit more complicated because they use some kind of relatively obscure archive. There are other games that also use some type of archive format, if you can help me to find out how to extract stuff from it, those could be included too. And some games use obscure music formats; maybe there's a way to add those too by converting those formats (on the fly) to something more standard, or by including a specific player for those formats.

i noticed that soundtracks doesnt support Firewhip, i know this was originally a gp2x game but it has its own native pandora port and the music is quite awesome, i think this game can still be found on the old repo (and maybe the new one)

Just a thought that maybe you could include the music from the new port of "Ghouls n Ghosts Remixed" in Game Soundtracks also cant seem to effectively use tracks in Audiorace as they dont seem to load. maybe this is a technical issue unrelated to your excellent PND though.

If anyone has ever managed to load a track into audiorace using this please let me know how, but i suspect its not possible at the moment.

@_wb_ I was editing this PND a few years back to add support for more games and I found my edited copy the other day. Would you give your permission for me to upload my version? PLMK Thanks

Back