Game & Watch Simulator 0.3

Hitnrun

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gameandwatch/
http://www.rangelreale.com/gamewatch.php
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,73,2587

This is a generic engine for simulation of Game & Watch-like games, created by Hitnrun, starting with ports of the Madrigal Game & Watch Simulators (http://www.madrigaldesign.it/sim/), with permission. It is designed to run anywhere SDL is available, with emphasis in handheld machines.

As for the Madrigal simulators, the simulation is aimed to be as close as possible to the real machine, simulating on-off, ACL mode, time modes, etc. Alarm and chrono modes only display default data, as there is not enough motivation for its simulation. Currently missing but in the TODO list is hiscore keeping.

For the 0.3 version, there are 3 more ports: "Time & Fun - Condor", "Time & Fun - Pancake", and "Time & Fun - Roller Coaster". These are a different kind of game than the previous ones.

While the archive isn't updated, grab it from my site or sourceforge.

screenshot-0.3-pancake.png

screenshot-0.1.png

See the README.gp2x for the gp2x keys.

I wait the game watch of NINTENDO double screen and panorama screen, are possible?
There are problems of copyright?

DARKGATE said:
I wait the game watch of NINTENDO double screen and panorama screen, are possible?
There are problems of copyright?
Madrigal have some games (http://www.madrigaldesign.it/sim/dnload.php) from nintendo panorama:

Donkey Kong Jr. (Nintendo, Panorama Screen)
Mickey Mouse (Nintendo, Panorama Screen)
Mario's Bombs Away (Nintendo, Panorama Screen)
Snoopy (Nintendo, Panorama Screen)

Are these the ones? If so, there is the possibility of it, altough these do not have source code, so they should be added at a later time.
The objective is to do all of the madrigal simulators.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to love games like this, I had a Sonic one ages ago.

Keep meaning to download it - keep up the good work, quirky and unusual and perfect for the 2X.

I started doing the Donkey Kong port, as it is dual screen it will be quite a challenge to have it work on the GP2X screen. But as for this one I only have a JavaScript implementation, it should take a while more than the other ports.

Hitnrun said:
I started doing the Donkey Kong port, as it is dual screen it will be quite a challenge to have it work on the GP2X screen. But as for this one I only have a JavaScript implementation, it should take a while more than the other ports.
Isn't it like Donkey Kong II? You start on the bottom screen and then go up to the upper screen?
That should be possible via scrolling :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Hitnrun said:
Isn't it like Donkey Kong II? You start on the bottom screen and then go up to the upper screen?
That should be possible via scrolling :)

Exactly, but if you go too fast from one screen to another and back, the screen would be crazy, the user could become dizzy :D
I'm thinking of implementing a smooth scrolling, Madrigal suggested to do it rotated, but even so, the full 2 screens don't fit totally (only if I remove the space between the screen, but nahh)

Yep, I meant smooth scrolling.
I only know Donkey Kong 2, but before going up or down, you need to know what happens there.
Smooth Scrolling should work, though, in this case. Show the lower screen, when you're on the base platform. When you go up to the middle platform it can scroll up a bit so you can see the middle platform and part of the upper one, etc.

first of all, many thanks for your Game & Watch Simulator for GP2X!! quite enjoyable experience on this handheld.

do you plan to add Nintendo Widescreen Game & Watch series? Time & Fun are cool, but i see them first time in my life. i used to play Octopus, Fire Attack and Mickey Mouse in my childhood. it would be really cool if you can add them in the further releases.

thanks again!!

abelenki said:
first of all, many thanks for your Game & Watch Simulator for GP2X!! quite enjoyable experience on this handheld.

do you plan to add Nintendo Widescreen Game & Watch series? Time & Fun are cool, but i see them first time in my life. i used to play Octopus, Fire Attack and Mickey Mouse in my childhood. it would be really cool if you can add them in the further releases.

thanks again!!
Yes Madrigal will give the media for them to me, I did the VTech first because they already come with source code on his site, but as he cannot give the source for the other simulators, I'll need to to real work on them B)

Hitnrun said:
Yes Madrigal will give the media for them to me, I did the VTech first because they already come with source code on his site, but as he cannot give the source for the other simulators, I'll need to to real work on them B)
cool news, Hitnrun!! i will be patiently waiting for them. thanks a lot for your work.

I have just got my GP2X and wanted to say a big thank you for this emulator. Pancake was my first ever computer game and this has brought back great memories. Many Many thanks for a great port and an amazing idea.

:) This is in the top 10 for my GP2X! Really thank you; I hope you can continue with this great work!

onumad said:
:) This is in the top 10 for my GP2X! Really thank you; I hope you can continue with this great work!
Totally agree with you :)

This emu is great, thank you very much for the great work ^_^

I hope more news this summer ;)

Rivroner said:
onumad said:
Totally agree with you :)

This emu is great, thank you very much for the great work ^_^

I hope more news this summer ;)

Yes I will, in fact Sleep Walker and Banana are only missing the hit checks and scoring, and Donkey Kong already have all sprites positioned in correct positions, I only need to program the game logic.

Now I just need to find time to do it, work is killing me.

By the way, here in Brazil is winter now :lol:

Well, I ported the simulator to S60v3, it seems to work fine on my N95, if someone is interested in this, there's a file release on sourceforge and on my site.

Back