"Gamebox" console

...it is just a GBA emulator.

I have one of those, and it even has it's own screen!

gba-b.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Bollox! I was planning on a few days of megadrive and snes on this thing and it only takes gba roms, laaaame

I've got one in the post as well haha, looks like this will be a birthday gift for someone

the ad is well missleading but they prob get away with it as a mistake and bad engrish

and I bet the cart of ilegal roms ain't even good ones

we shall see

Bollox! I was planning on a few days of megadrive and snes on this thing and it only takes gba roms, laaaame

I've got one in the post as well haha, looks like this will be a birthday gift for someone

the ad is well missleading but they prob get away with it as a mistake and bad engrish

and I bet the cart of ilegal roms ain't even good ones

we shall see
When you get it confirm that it has a SD slot of some sort, if it does and can play any roms off of it then I'm willing to bet it will be hacked in the future especially if it has like hardware of of other open handhelds.

I got it just now, opened it and it's smaller than I thought, like an a5 notepad in length but bit wider.

Can hear something rattling around in it which ain't good but sounds small like a bruk clip or something, I hope nothing vital.

It has ac power, the red/White/yellow tv out, mini USB port, game cart slot [no cart included though], and a miniSD card slot.

I didn't get a game cart with it but on the box it shows a picture of one, it looks like a gba cart, with a sticker of metal gear slug 4 on it.

I have some gba carts so will test those, other than that, don't know how/if I can play anything else on it yet

And, they gave me a bloody American plug, I was expecting a euro one and got an adaptor ready and everything, next expense

[edit] some of the specs on the box

size - 19x16x4cm

weigh - 650g

CPU - gamebox dual core 500MHz X2

memory - 128MB

video ram - shared with main memory

vid output - av cable, pal/NTSC support

audio output - dual channel stereo

expander port - USB 2.0 device, wireless keyMac gamepad

expansion slot - gamepad slot, av slot, memory stick slo

power interface - 5V AC

CPU - gamebox dual core 500MHz X2, 32-bit SDRAM memory

graphics - built in manipulation engine, zoom, swing, distortion, multi-reel special effects supported

game support - [1] mame, cps3, cps2, cps1, PGM, SFC, MD, PCECD

[2] built in macro operation system, perfect zooming facility

[3] mega memory card

compatible card - GAMEGBA card supported, web downloaded form supported

video support - video is viewed at max resolution of 720p [1280x720]

video formats - rmvb, asf, mkv, wmv, vob, mov

audio formats - mp3, wma, wav, flac, apf, aac, ogg

gamepad - 4 gamepad supported, update to 4 wireless gamepad supported

Got me an adaptor and there are a load of games on it already, not even on a cart though, just built into the system - going through the list there are all loads I don't know, various SF2 games, and - Strider! Get in!

I'm going to give it a quick complete now as this is one of my all time fav games.

I played it on megadrive and I don't recall it having speech on the between levels screens...?

I remember it being just text I'm sure, until the end boss when he does that evil laugh, but this version has the speach, in English too, so maybe this is an arcade version? I never played/see it on a coin op

you have to press both select + start to pause game I just found out after a mini fret thinking the feature was missing

I know you wanna hear that boss man laugh again, so here is the classic old skool tune from Project One with the Strider samples, 4:30 it kicks in with some of the game fx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ijFYRQ05_w

back to level 2

[edit] ahh, I just remembered I had this game on a jap import for my megadrive back then, so maybe the English version did have the speach and my jap version just text, just remembered

I seem to remember the nes and sega versions of strides were different. I think the sega version was like the arcade but the nes couldn't handle it or something. I played on the Nes version and remember getting it on a sega emulator and being WTF???

I suggest playing the nes version as it is a good game that is very diff than the arcade/sega version.

Lol, I hit that play button on the video thinking you shot some video of the gamebox playing and I was like 'wow, those roms have some good music'. Then after a while I thought 'does it never shut up?!?' Then I read your post and realized it is not game play.

I seem to remember the nes and sega versions of strides were different. I think the sega version was like the arcade but the nes couldn't handle it or something. I played on the Nes version and remember getting it on a sega emulator and being WTF???

I suggest playing the nes version as it is a good game that is very diff than the arcade/sega version.
You may be interested to know that there exists a scan of a Japanese games magazine, which suggests that the NES version (which ultimately never got a Japanese release in the end) was actually due for release *before* the arcade version. The NES version is also apparently more true to the manga that the games are based on, and from what I've seen of the manga, its graphics are definitely more true to it. :p

I'll have to check out that nes version then, I've played strider 2 but not a dif version of the original

second.e I will upload a vid of it in play if you want, I don't have a YouTube account but I might set one up.

So last night I was playing a game called Cadillacs & Dinosaurs.

First time heard of it, it's alright too, final fight style game with more guns.

Played a bit of Forgotten Worlds which is a siiick game and I used to play that on megadrive too, but this version doesn't allow me to rotate my mans fire, which makes playing a lot harder.

Says on side MiniSD, but the slot is MicroSD sized, so I put my old MicroSD from my DS in there but it didn't seem to read anything - I know the card has some media/.AVI on it but didn't show up in menu - maybe I need to structure the card certain way I'm not sure, I'll have to look into that more

it's mostly full of beat em ups though

Sorry for the bump, but I just saw this. I'm guessing that it may be of interest to those (seemingly who use Microsoft Windows) who picked one of these up - it was posted yesterday, and it covers how to access the internal memory so that you can add your own games.

Back