Gameboy Color Marquees For Gnuboy2x

ruckage

Certified Guru
Edit: Now available to download here

Hi everyone, I've made a set of ten marquees for use with Gnuboy2x. They are based on the gameboy color and come in the five standard colors plus one based on one of the Special edition pokemon gameboys. The other four are made up designs based on various characters - Mario, Zelda, Kirby and Megaman.
Rather than using photos I made them from scratch as I wanted a nice crisp look to them. I may be willing to make more if there are any requests for specific characters/games or colours.

Unfortunately you can't have them yet as I had upload troubles (kept getting the 'License not specified' error and I tred IE and firefox). I've sent them to Evildragon so hopefully they will be on soon.

Here's a half size preview of all the marquees that are in the pack.

gameboymarqueesallwh5.jpg

Wow, and nice touch there (I guess it is intentional right? :) ) were the power light is on the PokeBall, great art.

Thanks everyone, glad you like the look of them.

sehs33 posted on Dec 10 2006 at 11:07 AM said:
Wow, and nice touch there (I guess it is intentional right? :) ) were the power light is on the PokeBall, great art.

That is a cool touch though I can't take credit for it. It's based on a real gameboy color design. They also did another Pokemon Gameboy with Pikachu along the left hand side and the power led as his cheek.

Last edited by a moderator:
ruckage posted on Dec 10 2006 at 05:38 AM said:
Hi everyone, I've made a set of ten marquees for use with Gnuboy2x. They are based on the gameboy color and come in the five standard colors plus one based on one of the Special edition pokemon gameboys. The other four are made up designs based on various characters - Mario, Zelda, Kirby and Megaman.

Great work, Ruckage! Photoshop, GIMP?

This reminds me of the special super game boy borders.. is there a way of assigning a different games different borders?

They look good, but the gloss on the top part of the black plastic is way too aggressive, dim it down a bit.

- Alex

Those are some great marquees ruckage! Any chance of getting a Castlevania-themed one? :D

There were 3 Castlevania games on the gameboy;
Castlevania: The Adventure
Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
Castlevania Legends

I made one for myself about a week ago using some non-Gameboy Castlevania art, but it's just a picture rather than a game boy screen. I'm sure you could come up with something far better :)

castlevania2jt2.png

Incidentally, the layout for the marquee was based on a Castlevania skin I made for fw 2.0.0 but never got round to releasing. Maybe I should remake it for fw 2.1.1....

Btw, is anyone still working, or intending to work, on Gnuboy2x? It's a great emulator but still needs some overclocking on some games to get full speed ( like Castlevania: The Adventure :p )

Sorry for the delay with replying - been out all day. K-teto you're more than welcome to use these if you fancy doing an update to gnuboy2x anytime soon ;) (love the emulator by the way)
Still haven't been uploaded and I haven't received a reply from evildragon yet so maybe he's busy (wish I could just get them to upload myself.)
These were designed primarily in photoshop with a little help from the gimp, for some reason gnuboy doesn't like bmp's saved in photoshop and crashes but when they are saved in the gimp they work fine :blink: .

"xythen" said:
Those are some great marquees ruckage! Any chance of getting a Castlevania-themed one? biggrin.gif
I love Castlevania so definately, and I'd love to see a Gp2x skin based on it :D

"Alex" said:
They look good, but the gloss on the top part of the black plastic is way too aggressive, dim it down a bit.

- Alex
Not sure myself, can't decide. Does anyone else think that the gloss should be toned down a bit (constructive criticism is always good)

"mdinire" said:
This reminds me of the special super game boy borders.. is there a way of assigning a different games different borders?
Yes you can. It's all explained in the readme that comes with gnuboy2x. You basically give the marquee the same name as the rom you wish to associate it with eg. 'marioland.gb.bmp'

Thanks for all the replies and hopefully you'll be able to download them soon.

I've made a couple more, this time based on Castlevania. I won't upload these until I have enough designs to make up another pack but thought I'd show you a preview pic anyway. :D

Don't forget if anyone has a request for a design let me know and I'll see what I can do.

castlevaniaxu4.jpg

Back