Gamebuino Meta

@erico, wouldn't mind working together on something. i could probably write a snake game (like in your mocks) pretty quickly, since i already have one for the bitbox:

as you can see, my art style tends to be pretty modern/minimalist, though it's nice to have some beautiful pixel art...

Here on the Pandora/Pyra forum we constantly discuss competition and alternatives to it, on the GLBasic forum we are constantly discussing other tools,
what is wrong with those people? [rant off]
[doublepost=1509208717,1509208463][/doublepost]I will post something nice to smooth out the rant, sorry. ;)
"Big or small hands, they all fit."
I think it is because ED is a fan first. He likes (and sells) the same stuff the rest of us like, and that is why he got involved in all these open-source handhelds. I think it is better to allow people to openly discuss these things, especially if they are "the competition" since it keeps everyone aware of what is going out there, including ED. I have immense respect for him since he kept working things out instead of rushing to release hardware with a bunch of bugs just to possibly get a few more sales. I also agree with many other choices he has made with the Pyra.

I didn't watch the video, but that preview image shows why I moved away from the smaller (mostly width, but depth/thickness also matters) versions of GBs, and totally skipped the GBA Micro. The GBA SP was great for me when it first came out because of the screen light and when stopped it took up less space, which was important for me back then with all the traveling. Eventually I started using my DS for GBA games to skip the hand cramps, and moved back to the brick for the old games. I couldn't play for very long with two thumbs and it turned sideways. The Meta is smaller than I expected, and might be too small for me for more than just a few minutes of casual playing once in a while.

When I said "what is wrong with those people?" I meant exactly what you just said, to openly discuss alternatives.
That was not targeted at Ed but at the arduboy forum, whose owner closed down the gamebuino thread and unlisted it so users don´t get to it.
https://community.arduboy.com/t/gamebuino-meta-kickstarter/4259/6
I find that attitude very selfish considering he used assets from the original gamebuino campaign to promote his own without asking permission or giving credits.

About the gamebuino meta size, yep, it is quite small I agree, but very comfortable to hold and its screen size is fine, at least that is my feeling.
I played a lot of atari lynx when I was young and a lot with the caanoo some years ago. The later has a pretty good size but the screen could really be a bit bigger I guess.

I've always wanted a Gamebuino, but either couldn't justify getting one or didn't have any extra cash when I could. Eventually I ended up getting an Arduboy devkit for some reason (probably because I like how it looked), but never really used it.
THIS time though, I'm definitely going to get one of these. Looks so beautiful and I like the extra functionality the Gamebuino has over Arduboy.
Plus, this gives off a more retro Game Boy Micro vibe.
Just wished that it had shoulder buttons though.

yeah, i would've preferred the full SNES layout (L/R and ABXY). at least ABXY, so that you could play two player and not be at a disadvantage...

When I said "what is wrong with those people?" I meant exactly what you just said, to openly discuss alternatives.
That was not targeted at Ed but at the arduboy forum, whose owner closed down the gamebuino thread and unlisted it so users don´t get to it.
https://community.arduboy.com/t/gamebuino-meta-kickstarter/4259/6
I find that attitude very selfish considering he used assets from the original gamebuino campaign to promote his own without asking permission or giving credits.

About the gamebuino meta size, yep, it is quite small I agree, but very comfortable to hold and its screen size is fine, at least that is my feeling.
I played a lot of atari lynx when I was young and a lot with the caanoo some years ago. The later has a pretty good size but the screen could really be a bit bigger I guess.
Ah, didn't even know that.
Heh, feel free to discuss about both of them here :D

Sent from my XT1650-03 using Tapatalk

I got one of the early dev units and ported my work in progress space shooter :D

DRYkPuGUIAAmvnW.jpg

Feels like a GP32 in Gameboy Micro format, fun stuff! Build quality is nice too, and the thickness and rounded sides make it comfortable to hold.

VERY NICE! Is your case printed because of being early bird or did you get an injected one?
Injection mold case, the buttons are 3D printed but I really like their texture :)

Yep, the thing surprisely works wonder for me, specially in comparison with the gamebuino classic.
The design was really well made, above what I could match for sure.

It feels like something to use instead of just showing.

It does look nice.
What's it like to develop for?
Does it have any way to link up two (or more) devices together? (Edit: I see this is a 100kEuro stretch goal... ouch... shame they didn't look at a cabled approach that could have been easier to implement, like the gameboy)

Last edited:
hi @alxm, do they have an sdk out yet? how are you developing the games?
The SDK is on GitHub, you just add those files to your Arduino user folder and the Arduino IDE picks everything up.

For my game, I wrote a small wrapper lib that uses my own engine for non-Arduino builds, so I work with convenient native Linux builds except when testing on real hardware. This approach also gives me instant Pandora and GP2X builds without having to do anything extra :)

oh nice, i hadn't seen that repo. i also think i've seen your library before, but that looks handy.

will you have an official gamebuino meta target for a2x?

Last edited:
will you have an official gamebuino meta target for a2x?
The 32KB RAM might be too little for how I currently do certain things, but the 32bit processor is promising and I'm doing some refactoring in preparation for trying a META port later. For perspective, the GP2X has about 1000 times the amount of user-accessible RAM, and the Pandora several times on top of that. Different worlds :)

yeah, the bitbox sdk is for 192 kB of ram, but it's nice that it compiles to an SDL target as well, so that you can test it on the computer.

just got mine in the mail. quite nice selection of games out of the box, but of course the push is to build your own. i like how it's portable, it will be easier to lug around than the bitbox. wish it also was a dumb phone, but baby steps! :D

dumb unboxing video

just got mine in the mail. quite nice selection of games out of the box, but of course the push is to build your own. i like how it's portable, it will be easier to lug around than the bitbox. wish it also was a dumb phone, but baby steps! :D

dumb unboxing video
I got mine a couple of days ago too. I think it's great.

Back