gamepad in a mouse... WHAAAA?

SNESFAN

Retro game fanatic
Check this mother funking sheet out man!

looks bad ass!

12-10-10-chameleonx2-copy.jpg

12-10-10-chameleonx1-copy.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/10/shogun-bros-chameleon-x-1-mouse-flaunts-its-hidden-gamepad/

That's surprisingly neat, although I can't help but wonder whether the nubs on it might impede its usage as a mouse, or whether they're too recessed to use comfortably for games (it's a little hard to tell from the photograph, unfortunately)...

Shame about the Sony-style d-pad, though. That removes it from consideration for me, as I don't get along with those personally. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I may be missing something here. The engaget article seems pretty excited about this, and everyone in the comments seems to think it's a great innovation. But all I can think is "Why?". Why would I want a gamepad in my mouse?

Well outside of convenience of not having to carry two items and cool factor. I really got to wonder that myself.

Other thought would be the odd looks you'd get for holding a mouse like that..

I think the feet around the edges are supposed to prevent the buttons from hitting. You'd probably have to use a firm mousing area. I always use a neoprene mousepad, so that wouldn't help me. I would love to see this used in a computer lab when the gamer hits the start button, causing the laser to flash his neighbor. Also, it doesn't look comfortable at all.

yea... i couldn't think of another use for this other than for netbooks where space is a factor and I don't especially want to carry around a controller and a mouse for my mobile gaming.

The way you would hold this looks very awkward. This is definitely something I'd have to hold before even considering...

Does the laser shine in your eyes when you game ? :p ;)

That's for laser shoot'em ups :D

Honestly... I have no idea why I would want that.

Maybe if you want to play at your office and want to hide the gaming controller? :D

No idea... I prefer proper DPads. It really looks a bit awkward to hold :)

Useless gadget.

With this, if your mouse is busted, your joypad too… great!

yeah the whole thing looks like a hand cramp waiting to happen.

I've got nothing against experimenting with input devices. The idea of combining the two is interesting, but this looks like it's quite uncomfortable to hold.

It would actually make a lot more sense to put a trackball on a gamepad instead.

Not exactly a new idea, there is allready the Genius Navigator 365 from Evergreen

It looks even worse, though

20165109.jpg

@OP

Freaky... first thought I had was "hold it wrong and it shoots 4000dpi worth of laz0rs into your eyes"

*g* I just typed dps there instead of dpi

I guess those 3 rubber bumpers are high enough to not scrape the desk with the buttons :p

[...]Shame about the Sony-style d-pad, though. That removes it from consideration for me, as I don't get along with those personally. :p
+1

If I see one for cheapness id have it just for travel, hotel stays on work I could make use of this, work, game, game, game

Back