gamepad in a mouse... WHAAAA?

SNESFAN

Retro game fanatic
Check this mother funking sheet out man!

looks bad ass!

12-10-10-chameleonx2-copy.jpg

12-10-10-chameleonx1-copy.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/10/shogun-bros-chameleon-x-1-mouse-flaunts-its-hidden-gamepad/

That's surprisingly neat, although I can't help but wonder whether the nubs on it might impede its usage as a mouse, or whether they're too recessed to use comfortably for games (it's a little hard to tell from the photograph, unfortunately)...

Shame about the Sony-style d-pad, though. That removes it from consideration for me, as I don't get along with those personally. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I may be missing something here. The engaget article seems pretty excited about this, and everyone in the comments seems to think it's a great innovation. But all I can think is "Why?". Why would I want a gamepad in my mouse?

Well outside of convenience of not having to carry two items and cool factor. I really got to wonder that myself.

Other thought would be the odd looks you'd get for holding a mouse like that..

I think the feet around the edges are supposed to prevent the buttons from hitting. You'd probably have to use a firm mousing area. I always use a neoprene mousepad, so that wouldn't help me. I would love to see this used in a computer lab when the gamer hits the start button, causing the laser to flash his neighbor. Also, it doesn't look comfortable at all.

yea... i couldn't think of another use for this other than for netbooks where space is a factor and I don't especially want to carry around a controller and a mouse for my mobile gaming.

Does the laser shine in your eyes when you game ? :p ;)

That's for laser shoot'em ups :D

Honestly... I have no idea why I would want that.

Maybe if you want to play at your office and want to hide the gaming controller? :D

No idea... I prefer proper DPads. It really looks a bit awkward to hold :)

I've got nothing against experimenting with input devices. The idea of combining the two is interesting, but this looks like it's quite uncomfortable to hold.

It would actually make a lot more sense to put a trackball on a gamepad instead.

Not exactly a new idea, there is allready the Genius Navigator 365 from Evergreen

It looks even worse, though

20165109.jpg

@OP

Freaky... first thought I had was "hold it wrong and it shoots 4000dpi worth of laz0rs into your eyes"

*g* I just typed dps there instead of dpi

I guess those 3 rubber bumpers are high enough to not scrape the desk with the buttons :p

[...]Shame about the Sony-style d-pad, though. That removes it from consideration for me, as I don't get along with those personally. :p
+1

If I see one for cheapness id have it just for travel, hotel stays on work I could make use of this, work, game, game, game

Back