Gamer Illnesses/syndromes

BaDToaD

"Very" Old Timer
Website
cwhippogames.wixsite.com
It just occured to me that I don't remember seeing a thread about gamer illnesses/syndromes.

Have any of you actually suffered from DIMS? (Doom Induced Motion Sickness)

Has anyone had to have time off work or school with Nintendo Thumb?

Is it just me or does Play Station Pocket sound like chaffing you get around your groin area from carrying around an overly large handheld console?

Food for thought eh? LOL

When i played descent as a child I got a giant pounding headache after a few minutes. I get the same thing in games where i'm trapped in endless similar looking places and i'm constantly moving too.

Upon first getting Sonic Adventure 2 ( a day before Universal release...foolish ignorant HMV people...mwuhaha) I played it for 5 hours solid only to find myself suffering from a migrain so bad that it had me in tears ( I was 16 at the time so it was pretty harsh). The migrain was a result of my eyes focusing on one thing too long according to a doctor and he advised me to take the steps required to avoid glaucoma in later life to make it go away.

It took 3 days.

Also whenever I play the marble zone on Sonic 1 I get a twitch in my right eyelid.

I'm just flippin weird.

BaDToaD posted on Aug 16 2005 at 03:43 PM said:
It just occured to me that I don't remember seeing a thread about gamer illnesses/syndromes.

Have any of you actually suffered from DIMS? (Doom Induced Motion Sickness)

Has anyone had to have time off work or school with Nintendo Thumb?

Is it just me or does Play Station Pocket sound like chaffing you get around your groin area from carrying around an overly large handheld console?

Food for thought eh? LOL
DOOM DONT TALK TO ME ABOUT IT! it makes me really sick. Other FPS's do to but not as much as DOOM!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
slightly offtopic, but still related

does anyone else get memories of playing videogames through smell

some smells remind me of the first time played pokemon, others of playing Sonic on my MD

it's a little odd

mattmagoo posted on Aug 17 2005 at 02:03 PM said:

some smells remind me of the first time played pokemon, others of playing Sonic on my MD

it's a little odd

Listerine reminds me of playing Half life for the first time, I'd spilt some on my T-shirt that morning and when it arrived from Gameplay(my how they've fallen) I just sat there all day in a T-Shirt soaked in mouthwash playing.

A friend of mine cannot watch me playing doom as he gets motion sickness.

I asked a biology friend of miine about this and he put it simply:

Your inner ear has a form of granules in it that are like motion sensors. Usually the visual information supplied to the brain matches the motion stimulation from the inner ear.

When you're playing a first persion perspective style game, the visual and motion information supplied to the brain do not match. For most people this is not a problem as the brain knows you're not actually moving and ignores the discrepancey. With some people however, when watching motion and standing still their brains get confused and dizzyness is often the result. This is another reason why people get travel sickness. Oddly enough, one thing that can make this worse is slower frame rates, or sitting in the back of a car with theconstant flashing to the left or right as you pass things by.

mattmagoo posted on Aug 17 2005 at 02:03 PM said:

it's a little odd

Yes, the smell of burning silicon reminds me of Spectral Invaders, as that's what I was playing when my first 16K ZX Spectrum blew up on me :( .

i do not get motion sickness from playing games, but I get it from watching IMAX movies. Regular movies are ok.

Being a video game fanatic and collector, if i was ever to develope something from gaming, i would be devestated.

I got RSI (repititive strain injury) from playing street fighter 2 turbo, played it fuckin hours straight each day for about a week with mates and my bro, and also RSI from playing Deus Ex for too long, i got in the mouse hand, apparently my dad reckons it was because i slouch and the angle my wrist was at, my mates reckoned it was wanking <_< .

Whatever music i hear when i first play a game reminds me

Counterstrike : condition Zer : Single Girl Anarchronism

Conquer Online : Bob

CS : Source : Are you In

Gp32 : How to be dead

I sometimes get dizzy/sick watching imax movies also. I have no problems with games unless I play them for 4+ hours in a row without getting up and moving around for a little bit (about 5 minutes). Then I'm usually still fine until I get up and then I get really dizzy....not sure exactly why.

Klown posted on Aug 16 2005 at 09:40 PM said:
When i played descent as a child I got a giant pounding headache after a few minutes. I get the same thing in games where i'm trapped in endless similar looking places and i'm constantly moving too.

same

Back