Games Not Detected.

spaceman

Still Fresh
I've just bought a second hand GP32. I've wanted one for a while and now I've bought one that's a few bits short (cursed eBay!) I don't have a USB link, this is going to make troubleshooting difficult I think, but I've gotta try.

I have a smartcard reader in my PC and I can copy data, mp3's and games fxe's, to the appropriate folders on the SMC card. I think I'm using the right folders. I put the mp3's in the MP3 folder - now they work fine. I downloaded DoomV10t.fxe, GPDoom.fxe, arkanoid.fxe and GPengine.fxe I put them both into the GPMM folder. I copied the .wad files into ...\GAME\DOOM.

When I spark up the GP32 the mp3 are detected and play, like I say. When I use the launcher and select Games it says "SMC is not inserted or no game exists..."

Where do I start trying to sort out what is wrong, guys?

User level: GP32 novice / PC professional.

You need Freelauncher to play homebrew stuff on the official Gamepark Firmware. I don't know where to download it since I use slubman's firmware but it should be easy to find.

Do you have a non-lit GP32. ? If so, Chances are you need a program called freelauncher. You can get this from gameparks website here, But you have to create an account first.

The only problem is i`m not sure if/how you can install freelauncher without a usb cable though. But one of the guys/girls here should be able to help you out more than i have.

Btw, Welcome to the community, You will be in for a great time once you get up and running. :)

Trooper

also... read the readme.txt that comes with the doom fxe your doom wad must be named correctly, if the wad is named anything other than what the readme says it won't find the wad files... this is important especially if you are playing homebrew wads that come with alternative names... you mustrename these wads to look like the original wads to the fxe...

and you need it if you dont have a gxe, you may ask someone to make a gxe out of the flasher fxe for you

...or use the european firmware. Is the best official firmware, no need of freelauncher.

I agree, my seller sent my FLU to me with the european blu firmware, and that coupled with my silicone sealed screen makes my flu at least as nice as any blu, maybe better cause my screen looks incredible in sunlight...

worldwriter posted on Dec 12 2004 at 06:15 PM said:
...or use the european firmware. Is the best official firmware, no need of freelauncher.

I agree, my seller sent my FLU to me with the european blu firmware, and that coupled with my silicone sealed screen makes my flu at least as nice as any blu, maybe better cause my screen looks incredible in sunlight...
Yeah right your FLU looks as good as my BLU... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
meh.... don't really want to get into a competition over it but aside from my colors being a bit washed out compared to yours... yes. I am every bit as pleased with my flu in its current state as I would have been with a blu and since its my toy my opinion is the only one that matters... so there... lol...

Goity posted on Dec 12 2004 at 04:00 PM said:
put your games in gpmm, but keep your wads in game/doom
Thanks Goity, but er...
spaceman posted on Dec 12 2004 at 03:56 PM said:
I downloaded DoomV10t.fxe, GPDoom.fxe, arkanoid.fxe and GPengine.fxe I put them both into the GPMM folder. I copied the .wad files into ...\GAME\DOOM.

trooper posted on Dec 12 2004 at 04:15 PM said:
Do you have a non-lit GP32. ?...Btw, Welcome to the community, You will be in for a great time once you get up and running. :)

Trooper
Yep! Non-lit. Thanks, you guys are cool. I hope to be answering some "I need help..." posts myself soon and bringing some stuff to our table.
xSlipKoRnx posted on Dec 12 2004 at 04:23 PM said:
Cool...is there a tread or FAQ to help me go about installing this firmware. Fireware that sounds like a ROM flashing. Is that risky? Can I turn my GP32 into a paperwight? I've killed a few MoBo's...not my own, at work...but still.

Do I have to have a USB lead?

Does anyone know a site with a stock. I can find a retail that's got then in stock.

Thanks, guys!

Have you tried emailing the original seller and see if he/she has freelaucher for that GP32 (it's encrypted to each GP32 when you register)..
We cant flash the firmware (unless he/she has a jtag cable) until we get freelauncher going...

One problem at a time ;)

edit: the SMC has to be formatted to fat16 to work on the gp32.. but make a backup copy of everything on that SMC and also can you give a list what is on it (file names etc)

First of all, put a fresh batteries in the GP32. If you turn off the GP32 while it's flashing, say good bye to the console.

The firmware is a .FXE file. You have to put it in GPMM folder, then turn on gp32, and select it from the play menu.

tekt5 posted on Dec 12 2004 at 07:38 PM said:
there's a firmware flashing faq at gp32emu.com
Ta! Some light bedtime reading. :)

yaustar posted on Dec 12 2004 at 07:32 PM said:
Have you tried emailing the original seller and see if he/she has freelaucher for that GP32 (it's encrypted to each GP32 when you register)....can you give a list what is on it (file names etc)

Nice eBayer, pretend I don't exist. :blink: Cheers, mate. No answer my mails :angry:

er...OK.

In the root of the SMC are six folders GAME, GPMM, MP3, GPSYS, GPETC and yafl.

Two files: FIRM_EN.FXE; yafl.fxe.

I already listed the contents of GAME\DOOM and GPMM.

GPETC contains: OS9XGP.CFG, FIRM_EN.FXE; yafl.fxe. and a yafl folder

GPSYS contains BDUMP.FXE, BDUMP012.GXB, LOADER.TXT, LOADER.GXB, LOADER.GIF, LOADER.FXE, FIRM_EN.FXE, yafl.fxe
and another yafl folder.

I can list the contents of yafl (whatever that is) if that helps...

aapje89 posted on Dec 12 2004 at 09:53 PM said:
So you dont have a usb-cable for the gp32?
Nope. Any idea where I can buy one today? :unsure:

spaceman posted on Dec 12 2004 at 10:55 PM said:
aapje89 posted on Dec 12 2004 at 09:53 PM said:
So you dont have a usb-cable for the gp32?
Nope. Any idea where I can buy one today? :unsure:
gbax.com, but maybe some camera-cables that are the same work too?

Back