Games that you HAD TO finish at some point

Recently beat New Super Mario Bros. U with a friend before she went back to Texas. She forced me (read: I voluntarily subjected myself to her torment) to marathon-run that shit with her. I...I wanna die.

Finally finished Dark Judgement !! :D One of the few PC-only beat-em-up !! Made really well and with an awesome soundtrack !!
Actually I was never able to make it run in any of my PCs until now (even Wine failed me) !! Damn direct draw and its obscure error messages !! :D

Zelda, on gameboy when I was super young. The puzzles were fascinating, I kept thinking about them when not playing until I figured out how they worked. No cheats, walkthroughs, or hints and I finished it, with the awesome sword/boomerang.

More recently the original Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney, great concept, interesting and kept me fully engaged in a way most games don't.

More recently the original Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney, great concept, interesting and kept me fully engaged in a way most games don't.
did you play the whole trilogy? if not, go play the second and third games asap! aside from more funny/weird/tragic cases, the overarching story is really, really awesome :D

did you play the whole trilogy? if not, go play the second and third games asap! aside from more funny/weird/tragic cases, the overarching story is really, really awesome :D

Have not yet, but I do have them and I have a super long flight coming up. May be the way to kill some time.

Have not yet, but I do have them and I have a super long flight coming up. May be the way to kill some time.
it is! :D well, as long as you're not one of those people who tend to yell "OBJECTION!" at your handheld because the prosecution just gave some weird statement that destroyed your theory about what happened (i scared the crap out of some school kids on the train by doing that).

Finally finished the story mode of "One Finger Death Punch" in Grandmaster difficulty !!! :D

That damn last lightsword level kept me busy for a year... took me some seconds to realize what I did after I won !! :D Instead, the final double boss was a lot easier, it took 4 try :)

The ending Rap video was hilarious !! :D

Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones - finally finished !! Years ago seemed impossible to me and I uninstalled the game in rage at the last boss... but this time it was an easier and smoother experience, even if I had to fight the last battle like 10 times in a row to win.

I appreciated anyway more Prince of Persia 2008... it's a shame it has no sequels... :(

EDIT: thinking about it, maybe this time was easier just because I used a PS3 gamepad instead of keyboard+mouse... damn bad PC port...

Last edited:
Starcraft 2 ... finally I reached the end of the saga... one of the best endings ever... after all these years waiting to play it, now I feel like something inside me is missing +o(

I am still obsessed with finishing Tetris The Grand Master 3 Terror-Instinct (TGM3) or the equivalent in the homebrew tetris games such as e.g. Heboris and Texmaster.

It is perhaps unrealistic to assume that I ever will (there are 7? grand masters in the world), but I do not intend to stop trying. I can reach the credit roll on 20G mode and am practising playing with invisible bricks. So far I have only passed level 100 (i.e. roughly 100 blocks) once while in invisible mode. To survive the credit roll I need to be able to do that on level 1000 speed (which is HARD).

Someday/maybe :p

Aliens: Colonial Marines finally played, finished and mostly enjoyed !!

I'm not sure how much bad was at the first release, but reading now all the worst reviews it got at the time, I can't understand them... seemed pretty clean and cured for me.

The Aliens AI is more good than the one in AVP 2000, and even better when I corrected the famous typo in the ini file (that I can't understand why it's not still corrected), plus all the "push away the alien" mechanics are really cool.
I'm pretty confident about the movies, and I liked the story of this game (and it's DLC) as a link between the second and third Alien movies... (At least it works for the original version of "Alien 3", the Extended is different in "some" points...)
It also contained a lot of details from the movies, I noticed really cool things here and there.

The only bad things I found were:
- Too many duplicated details, for example there are good replicas of the terminals used to control the gun turrets in the second movie... but EVERY single computer has the same image in the screen, even the ones not used for turrets.
- There is the possibility to use (and level up) a xenomorph... BUT it works ONLY in multiplayer, and ONLY when you are in the enemy squad (seems like you are placed automatically in the Marine squad if no other one is in the game), and no one is playing this game on the internet right now... so there's no way to even try it... they could have added at least some Computer AI for multiplayer, could have been pretty easy, this is "not capture the flag" is just "kill all the other races"
- Some parts were DAMN IMPOSSIBLY DIFFICULT !! I never tried to lower the difficulty (actually "Soldier", so I suppose "Medium") but I had to avoid some encounters, leaving my "immortal" companions dealing with them while I stayed very distant... maybe helping them only as a sniper

Two NES games I had to finish because I spent so much time on:

Fester Quest
and TMNT

I beat both of these thanks to save states, so kinda cheating but not really.

On the SNES the only game is Earthbound. I have gotten far on it but never passed it. I just get sidetracked and although I have my saves in emulators I start over because I can't remember everything I had just done.

I beat both of these thanks to save states, so kinda cheating but not really.

Don't say that !! Console/Games developers (or distributors) cheated first !! Mostly not implementing them to make games more longer and difficult !!
Sometimes I just think how it is impossible for me to play a 30 minutes level without a save here and there... I can't put a game on pause for hours just because I can't play anymore, but still I don't want to replay the entire level again...

Pff, you'll be wanting savegames for something like angband next.

I detect sarcasm, but I can't understand it... that game already have saves... it's too long... I could have never finished it without them.

Don't say that !! Console/Games developers (or distributors) cheated first !! Mostly not implementing them to make games more longer and difficult !!
Sometimes I just think how it is impossible for me to play a 30 minutes level without a save here and there... I can't put a game on pause for hours just because I can't play anymore, but still I don't want to replay the entire level again...
For TMNT it was just glitchy jumps mainly. For Fester quest it was loosing everything when you died. I liked both of them and the music of both still gets stuck in my head and I think these games today receive a lot of hate because they were so difficult. It was like finishing huge parts of my childhood by playing 100% though them. I know there are others that I passed with save states but I can't remember them at the moment. . .

I detect sarcasm, but I can't understand it... that game already have saves... it's too long... I could have never finished it without them.
Ah, no sarcasm intended, just apparently I got my game references wrong, or maybe the last time I seriously played angband (around 1996 I reckon) it didn't have them yet. Swap out my game reference to something like Chuckie Egg then, or Donkey Kong. Games like that are for me at least purely about the physical gameplay, and apart from finding out what happens when you get to level 9, there's not really much in the way of plot or character progression. I tend to think games made a big mistake when they took that kind of an action game and added a story to it. Stories set up tensions that need to be paid off sooner or later, and if you're stuck on the level 9 boss then you end up with an unfulfilled story, which is the worst kind of story if you ask me.

That opinion hasn't really stopped me playing games. Just if I'm playing an RPG I'll usually milk the character progression to make every subsequent proper battle easier, so I can progress the story a section at a time.

Skyrim

Finally i "consider" it finished... after a lot of pauses between game sessions... and A LOT of broken quests...
I think that maybe like 30% of the game time was me searching to repair bugged quests... but still, at least 6 of the longer quests were irreparably broken... and I just dealt with it... it is really not funny to follow a quest, growing expectations to find out that it's impossible to finish it... also, a lot of "cinematic" could become bugged if something "unexpected" happens during them... and you will remain unable to move FOREVER, because the end of the cinematic will never be triggered...
I beat a dragon, he gives to me a means to call him at will to combat by my side... so I think "that's cool"... I try the thing, it doesn't work... try again, many times... go to wiki search known bugs... aaand that's it... I can't call him, finish.
Too many times this happened... TOO MANY... I wasn't even able to finish one of the FIRST quests !! WTF !!

This game should be played only for sandboxing and to do weird stuff with MODS.
If you want stories to follow and want to be able to finish quests, stay FAR away from this game.

Back