Games Thread

benjsh

Still Fresh
Hi
Can we have like 1 main download site with all games like quake 2 , quake 3 and links to all emulators etc..
so have everything in 1 place to make it easy to get an overview.

So I dont have to visit 20 different pages to get all the emulators.

thanks.

borgqueenx said:
Bosbeetle said:
borgqueenx said:
that archive site is not really filled with apps....i dont see any emulators yet for example.

The pandora is not even out yet!
copying apps and games takes another minute or 2! You think i can wait that long when i got my pandora?

Thats like demanding that nintendo release games for wii2, before they are even in the stores!

"I want ma games ready in the living room so I don't have to go to the store and buy them after i've got my wii2"

lame

Last edited by a moderator:
Come to think of it, Quakes I - ]I['s engines have been opened, but I believe the art (levels, textures, etc.) are still copyrighted, aren't they?
We'll probably end up with some free Quake-based stuff and an "installer" that works with an original CD to get the artwork into the Quake engine. I think Ubuntu has one of these for Quake ]I[, dunno about the older ones.

lulzfish said:
Come to think of it, Quakes I - ]I['s engines have been opened, but I believe the art (levels, textures, etc.) are still copyrighted, aren't they?
We'll probably end up with some free Quake-based stuff and an "installer" that works with an original CD to get the artwork into the Quake engine. I think Ubuntu has one of these for Quake ]I[, dunno about the older ones.
Just distribute OpenArena and a readme that tells you how to copy additional assets into the game, and all will be well.

dflemstr said:
lulzfish said:
Just distribute OpenArena and a readme that tells you how to copy additional assets into the game, and all will be well.

Why not just release them with the demo assets? With a readme telling you what files to copy to make it full-version, of course. :) I remember lots of projects on various platforms doing this with Quake I & II -- would it work with Quake III as well?

wermy said:
dflemstr said:
Just distribute OpenArena and a readme that tells you how to copy additional assets into the game.
Why not just release them with the demo assets? With a readme telling you what files to copy
Wermy needs to google OpenArena methinks.

rabidpoobear said:

Wermy knows what OpenArena is. :p I'm sure lots of people (myself included) would rather have actual Quake III assets than OpenArena. To each their own, though...

Personally, I'd prefer Smokin' Guns... Whatever, we should just have all the free Q3 engine games up there, as well as instructions on how to get the non-free ones to run as well as maybe links to legal sources for them.
If we are lucky, the complete Transport Tycoon art & sound replacements might also be done, soon, so we could distribute a complete working OpenTTD with every Pandora.

wermy said:
rabidpoobear said:

Wermy knows what OpenArena is. :p I'm sure lots of people (myself included) would rather have actual Quake III assets than OpenArena.
No, see. They're the same engine. So installing OpenArena and adding the QuakeIII assets gives you Quake III.
That was Dflemstr's point. You basically restated exactly what he said.

rabidpoobear said:
No, see. They're the same engine. So installing OpenArena and adding the QuakeIII assets gives you Quake III.
That was Dflemstr's point. You basically restated exactly what he said.

Well, it sounded like he was saying we should just distribute OpenArena as-is. I was saying I'd rather see it come with actual Quake III (demo) assets. It's fine though, we needn't only choose between one or the other. :)

Back