Half Life (original)

impreziv

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
anyone else have any desire to see HL1 on this Pandora dealy?

alot of talk lately about Quake3, Q1, and Q2. Halflife runs on a tweaked up version of the Quake 1 engine. a while ago i heard of some people getting Halflife running on Linux, using a modified version of a Quake 1 port.

i think it would be sweet to see Halflife ported over. im sure it will come in time, i dont want to take any attention or interest away from some of the more important initial projects (the obvious emulators, and games).

i guess we'll have to wait to see who gets Quake 1 working, and then see what happens.

Theres a quake 1 mod that looks like half-life but plays much differently. That might be what he is referring to.

Why not then make Half-Life mod for Duke Nukem 3d or Doom? I remember swaping CyberDemon sprites with Garganula's ones(made by Quake Scene Builder) vere funny - just imagine where rockets fly from :)

I read somewhere they made a port of HL1 to Linux, is that right? Valve made it perfectly clear about how they feel towards HL1 when they did the port to the Source engine with it. I look forward to Black Mesa Source.

JakeK said:
I read somewhere they made a port of HL1 to Linux, is that right? Valve made it perfectly clear about how they feel towards HL1 when they did the port to the Source engine with it. I look forward to Black Mesa Source.

I have never heard that Valve has done anything but servers for linux, as I've stated before the have constantly said that they will never support Linux and have removed postings about it and according to some rumors they've even banned people from the forums because of Linux threads concerning wine because of the violation of talking about third party applications running steam and so on.

So if they've done any Linux stuff other than servers it would really shock me

Last edited by a moderator:
Holokauston said:
JakeK said:

I have never heard that Valve has done anything but servers for linux, as I've stated before the have constantly said that they will never support Linux and have removed postings about it and according to some rumors they've even banned people from the forums because of Linux threads concerning wine because of the violation of talking about third party applications running steam and so on.

Yet ID has been so kind to include linux support for most their games. How sweet.

Id have done so because of the goodness in Carmacks heart for this poor little OS and from the start if I remember correctly they didn't at first but the source for Quake leaked and someone did a port, instead of hunting people Id took the "baby" and gave it milk and have been doing ever since, there has been a few reports that their new engine won't have Linux executables but I'm not sure, think they went back on that statement?

And actually Id doesn't give Linux support, they give linux executables but no guarantee that they will work

Holokauston said:
Id have done so because of the goodness in Carmacks heart for this poor little OS and from the start if I remember correctly they didn't at first but the source for Quake leaked and someone did a port, instead of hunting people Id took the "baby" and gave it milk and have been doing ever since, there has been a few reports that their new engine won't have Linux executables but I'm not sure, think they went back on that statement?

And actually Id doesn't give Linux support, they give linux executables but no guarantee that they will work
You know, I realized that even after I edited that statement but was like "eh.." Either way, like you said Id is awesome for giving linux something decent to play as opposed to valve who gives linux the finger and says "Heres a dedicated server, go play with this instead"

Yeah it's pretty lame to "use" an OS like that, on the other hand I can understand that they don't support it, because support = it have to work, there are to few standards in the Linux community to be sure it will work and too few users to make up for that fact.

But I wished some game companies would just pick Debian as a standard and support that :p

Holokauston said:
Do you have any link to this, are you sure you ain't getting it confused with Goldsrc Engine which was the "name" used by Valve for their engine for Half Life which is a modification of a quake engine??
im not sure, just read on a forum a few years ago about someone getting HL running on linux by chopping up a Quake 1 port.

i dont think it was REALLY halflife, i think they just messed around with the maps until they were compatible with Q1, and then got all the models to work, then messed around with the game engine to make it look and feel like HL.

but then all thats missing is all the fancy lighting and shading features that Valve added to the Q1 engine. sounds good enough for me..

ill try to find a link

Finally someone besides me wants Half-Life on the Pandora, maybe if we bug valve about it, they'll get so sick and tired of it and they'll have to give us the sourcecode!!
Does anyone know of any statistics about how long a game survives after its engine has been released, compared to a game who's engine is open source? THAT might help them release the source code faster

schnitzelboy said:
Finally someone besides me wants Half-Life on the Pandora, maybe if we bug valve about it, they'll get so sick and tired of it and they'll have to give us the sourcecode!!
Does anyone know of any statistics about how long a game survives after its engine has been released, compared to a game who's engine is open source? THAT might help them release the source code faster
They wont, the'll just ignore you and since the still sell via steam in their big game packs don't count on numbers for survival will matter

schnitzelboy said:
Since Valve sells millions of games, whatever statistics you find will have margins of error larger than the entire near-term Pandora user base. Please don't pester them. It can do no good and might actually do harm.

schnitzelboy said:
unfortunatly like the other guys have said since it still sells on steam people are still buying it. Valve is a bit of a nazi company when it comes to linux. I mean.. they make great games they just don't give a shit about the linux community.

Holokauston said:
JakeK said:

Ok, but for the forum thing there are plenty of threads that talk about such software. Depends how a lot of those people go about it really, a lot of them are angry about no Linux port and..well... you'd understand what the thread would be like.

Back