Gamescom, sensor upgrade and other nice news

A last batch a pictures took during the gamescom.
DSC_0434.JPG
DSC_0455.JPG
DSC_0457.JPG
DSC_0462.JPG
DSC_0463.JPG
DSC_0480.JPG
DSC_0483.JPG
DSC_0484.JPG
DSC_0488.JPG
DSC_0487.JPG

thanks for the latest update!

life is good when mr. hülsbeck plays music and factor5 is all around! :)

i love the amiga racer mini-cab! in '88 i had the exact same checkered vans shoes as displayed at the booth, yay for me being so stylee!! ;)

If he didn't use the transparent one he didn't have a good experience, the case isn't fitting good on the grey one. That made the nubs more stiff, also the touchscreen isn't optimal yet.
I can see how that leads to bad opinions.
Maybe there should have been a big sticker on every prototype, saying what is right and what is wrong about this particular device. So if you find something you don't like and see that it belongs to the wrongs of this device, you can check another prototype, ideally one where the same feature is on the "right" list.

To everybody who had a prototype in his hands:
What do you think about the hinge? Now that the touchscreen issue is (almost) sorted out, this is my only excuse to delay the pre-order. I'm not fully up to date. Does it work like a laptop hinge where the display stays open equally well in any angle or does it have discrete fixed angles (how many? at which angles?)?

Here something Pyra-centric again.
A screen ghosting comparison between the Pandora and the Pyra. Using ED's blue pandora, and running the exact same game (Phoenix on Atari 2600 emu), You can clearly see the Players bullet on the Pyra screen, where it's almost invisible on the Pandora (that game trigger the worst case LCD Refresh scenario: little white pixel on black background moving quickly).
And ED's blue Pandora has one of the best screens that the Pandora ever had. Personally, I find Venture to be the hardest game to see clearly - the 2600 version has a magenta player pixel, which at least means two LCD subpixels are lit, but the arcade version has the same in red! Sure, they don't move as fast as those bullets, but on Pandora I can't even see it stationary - and only get a hint once I move it. Berzerk is another one which in later levels has magenta robots with magenta bullets (on arcade, not checked the 2600 version of that yet) :(

But looking at those Phoenix captures there, even Venture should probably be playable!

The 5 Factor wiki list this game on the Sega MegaDrive... at least I now know the title :D
1995: Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures (unpublished)

Safely arrived back from the GamesCom :)

Well, about the one who posted about the Pyra:
He most probably only tried it out without asking anyone.

The points he complained about are exactly the points we explained to everyone:
The touchscreen is not the final one (I'll receive samples of the new perfectly clear one in about two weeks), the case is currently getting the final tweaks (so that the nubs don't scratch, the shoulder buttons work perfectly and the hinge will be made more stiff) and the grey case is the old testing case where there were still many issues. It also only was some cheap plastic and not the one we use.

The keymat is almost final: The height of the keys is fine but you still need to push a bit too hard, so we're trying various material strengths soon.

The OS was just a presentation OS, I installed a few emulators from the Debian repo (like stella, so we could make the video above), but there were no other ROMs installed. We didn't show any gaming on it yet.

Usually, there was one from our team at the Pyra all the time and explaining, that it's not the final product, but it seems this guy slipped through our fingers.

If you could point me to those boards or post those informations at the threat there, it would be appreciated.

What do you think about the hinge? Now that the touchscreen issue is (almost) sorted out, this is my only excuse to delay the pre-order. I'm not fully up to date. Does it work like a laptop hinge where the display stays open equally well in any angle or does it have discrete fixed angles (how many? at which angles?)?
I will not work like a Laptop hinge, that is (sadly) for sure. As far as I remember, It will have 2 discrete positions: more or less fully open and something around 100 degrees

Edit: removed nonsense

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures !
So you now have a Pyra ptitSeb ?
Nope, no Pyra home yet. Too many hardware adjustement still need to be done. But soon :)

And what game is that? That certainly doesn't look like a 2600 Emu!
It's Ardentyst, an 2D action rpg game made in PyGame, that run sub-1fps on the Pandora. It's playable on the Pyra. I tried this game because it's CPU-hungry and ony need SDL. I wanted to see how much was the increased CPU power (and well, conclusion is, "a lot", and the Pyra I used wasn't even running fullspeed, at only 1GHz). I also compiled Roadfighter (SDL only), and without surprised, it ran well (it also run well on the Pandora).

I will not work like a Laptop hinge, that is (sadly) for sure. As far as I remember, It will have 2 discrete positions: more or less fully open and something around 100 degrees
Mmmm, no, that's the GPD Win hinge (that why you alway see the same angle on the picture). The Pyra hinge as no discrete positions.

Last edited:
The Pyra hinge as no discrete positions.
Ugghh, thats quite horrible - at least with the Pandora we had the friction via paint bonus, but that is not gonna happen with the Pyra. The first real letdown:|
@sulu, sorry for giving wrong info

Ugghh, thats quite horrible - at least with the Pandora we had the friction via paint bonus, but that is not gonna happen with the Pyra. The first real letdown:|
Put a thin piece of paper (for cigarettes for example) in there and you got the same effect, of course putting a DS hinge in there is probably the best solution and you can still buy this part afaik.

You should follow the news more closely before spreading false assumptions.
The friction will be added by a slightly oval curved hinge.
So when you move it, the plastic will cause a bit of friction. That's a lot more robust and durable than the paint on the Pandora!

This is still part of the tweaking though, so it couldn't be seen at GamesCom yet.

You should follow the news more closely before spreading false assumptions.
So when you move it, the plastic will cause a bit of friction. That's a lot more robust and durable than the paint on the Pandora!
Hmm looks like it - sorry !:(

It's Ardentyst, an 2D action rpg game made in PyGame, that run sub-1fps on the Pandora. It's playable on the Pyra. I tried this game because it's CPU-hungry and ony need SDL. I wanted to see how much was the increased CPU power (and well, conclusion is, "a lot", and the Pyra I used wasn't even running fullspeed, at only 1GHz).
Was this the native Debian package or some emulator?

This is still part of the tweaking though, so it couldn't be seen at GamesCom yet.
Do you have any estimate when you can present results of that tweaking?

Back