Gamma

tds48

So trying to watch video on the pandora and the colors are way to rich ... so I set out to reduce colour and contrast.

Found the gamma manager and watched ED's video, but still dont understand how to use it - ED if you read this PLEASE a little insight will be great as well as the values against the LCD and CRT gamma profiles!

I did increase each value by 10% but that washed it all out, my next attempt will be 5%

Other observations

1) Trying to play a video, I noticed that the best current handbrake profile seems to be classic, with anything less than 800x448. At 800x448 you get audio and a black screen. Below this the picture displays. Stil experimenting with optimal size (No doubt the 800x448 is a bug of types)

2) mplayer has a video settings menu, but you cant get to it before choosing video. And once you have chosen video is does not display. My workaround is to play the video, pause it then drag it off the screen by 5% (ie left edge up to where file menu dissapears) (then choose the View - video picture adjustments and it will display. after settings have been adjusted (i mess with gamma) drag the screen back of the edge and play on - Weird I know but works :)

Any other experiences with video settings / gamma appreciated

SomeGuy99 said:
+1

Also, I seem to be stuck on 16bit colour no matter what.

sg99 to get more colours do the following (i think)

1) settings - lcd
2) Managage lcd gamma
3) create new (i think it creates a new profile based of current one)
4) facing gamma screen hit y once for 24, twice for 32 then rotates through 16/24/32 (top left of the screen).
5) click start
6) click keep it
7) then save it as a name

i think this toggles between 16/ 24 / 32 colours

Last edited by a moderator:
TheDarkSpectrum48K said:
SomeGuy99 said:
+1

Also, I seem to be stuck on 16bit colour no matter what.

sg99 to get more colours do the following (i think)

1) settings - lcd
2) Managage lcd gamma
3) create new (i think it creates a new profile based of current one)
4) facing gamma screen hit y once for 24, twice for 32 then rotates through 16/24/32 (top left of the screen).
5) click start
6) click keep it
7) then save it as a name

i think this toggles between 16/ 24 / 32 colours

Cheers. I already tried this (got really excited when I saw the different depths) but it doesn't seem to change anything.

The gamma manager doesn't change the screen depth.
You can just switch between them to see how your current gamma setting would look like, it's only for testing.

So yeah, fire it up, create new gamma, change the settings and save. That's how you do it.

About changing the gamma values... hard to explain if you don't know what you're doing :)
But you can see any changes instantly on the testing picture so... work on them until you think they look good :)

EvilDragon said:
You can just switch between them to see how your current gamma setting would look like, it's only for testing.

So yeah, fire it up, create new gamma, change the settings and save. That's how you do it.

About changing the gamma values... hard to explain if you don't know what you're doing :)
But you can see any changes instantly on the testing picture so... work on them until you think they look good :)

Thanks ED for the reply ! ... any chance of you giving us the LCD and CRT gamma values? I would rather use these as a starting point? then yes I will play!

TheDarkSpectrum48K said:
EvilDragon said:

Thanks ED for the reply ! ... any chance of you giving us the LCD and CRT gamma values? I would rather use these as a starting point? then yes I will play!

Easy - load the settings and then create new gamma. It always starts with the current settings :D

Last edited:
I was just wondering what I would have to do to simply lower the contrast, without changing other details. I want to do this in order to minimize the blurring that occurs when scrolling in emulation (for example Picodrive). It seems to be worse when there is high contrast between adjacent colours.

Back