Garbage Files... Nasty Stuff

MkidTrigun

Still Fresh
Moral of this story - be sure that, whenever you add or delete something from your sd card that it's completely finished before ejecting it. Doing so could lead to many problems...

Long story short,I'm not entirely sure how, but in the process of adding and deleting files, I found that a garbage file had made its way onto my card. The effect of having a garbage file on your card leads to many things, such as finding a folder called 'found.000' on your card with incomplete items, as well as making you wait 25 seconds after choosing 'launcher' on the main menu and it actually responding.

I solved it by deleting the folder that had the garbage file in question by using Fx File Navigation, as Windows was bitching at me for it not having a proper name, and couldn't rename it for the same reason.

Has anyone else ran into an issue such as this before?

What I remember is when there are folders like found.000 on an SD card it means that the card is starting to die, if you go into found.000 you might find files that were recovered after being corrupted.

sehs33 said:
What I remember is when there are folders like found.000 on an SD card it means that the card is starting to die, if you go into found.000 you might find files that were recovered after being corrupted.

You could also see found.000 files in more innocuous situations like when.. a person ejects an SD while Linux writing a directory entry in a subfolder. They can also be caused by a failed bootup, batteries dieing, unit freezing while overclocked, etc etc.

Windows chkdsk is what produces those files. DOS used to really get hosed up if you had a malformed directory, it would forget the rest of the files in the folder were there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back