GB/GBA Question

Cas

Hello

Having played with the GB/GBA emulator I am thinking of getting myself a GBA.

Now for the noob question.

Are all the Game Boy games compatible with the advance flip open machine ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Game Boy Advance SP? Yup, it's entirely compatible with all Game Boy games. And the best choice for game boy games in my opinion, since it's the only one that has a backlight.

The GBA is exactly the same in terms of compatibility as the GBA SP, it just doesn't have a backlight and uses (if I'm not mistaken) standard batteries rather than a rechargeable one. And it doesn't have that awesome clamshell design. :p

i've been getting an awful lot out of GBC and GBA gaming lately so it definitely seems like a worthwhile purchase. my pandora is great for GBA games though i have been playing them emulated there and emulated on my DS too which has been great. i actually find that i dont play GBC games much on the pandora but instead end up using a Dingoo A320 as i can just throw it around and not be precious about it. but yeah, sounds like a sound purchase. i also love my gamecube and have been considering getting all the linkup stuff which would be fun!

Hello

Thanks so far.

Edited the £17 part of the OP, it was a mistake :( seems it was secondhand and

not in very good condition.

Seems the one I should try and get is the European model AGS101

AGS101s are around on Ebay but are US models, if I were to buy a US model

what charger would I need to buy ?

SP is frontlit... just for clarification.
There is a later, backlit version of the SP, too, which was released after the Game Boy micro, and has the same sort of screen as in that device. If you can find one of these, the experience will be much better due to the nicer screen.

There's a comparison image here, which also gives some clues as to how to identify at least the black version from looks alone.

AGS101s are around on Ebay but are US models, if I were to buy a US model

what charger would I need to buy ?
Any charger for the GBA SP or the original DS will work (they use the same tip). This cable paired with a USB plug will do the job just fine, too. :)

Just for clarification, the AGS-101 GBA SP is the Backlit version, so you are on the right track. The non Backlit version is the AGS-001. You definately want the AGS-101 Backlit version, it is way brighter as others have said. There are 2 sellers on ebay.com that sell them perpetually for about $60 delivered. Unfortunately they are sought after and go for a premium as they were not released in many countries (including Australia). Unfortunately the sellers know that, and they gouge you big time.

If you didnt want to play Game Boy games Id say get a DS Lite instead, it will cost you the same amount of money and is a much better console . Put it this way, you will be able to play DS games and GBA games (but not GB games) and have a more modern system that is back lit. The option is the GBA SP AGS-101 which is backlit and will cost the same to allow you to play GB and GBA games but not DS games. I have both and the DS Lite is the way better option all things considered.

If you didnt want to play Game Boy games Id say get a DS Lite instead, it will cost you the same amount of money and is a much better console . Put it this way, you will be able to play DS games and GBA games (but not GB games) and have a more modern system that is back lit. The option is the GBA SP AGS-101 which is backlit and will cost the same to allow you to play GB and GBA games but not DS games. I have both and the DS Lite is the way better option all things considered.

Even better, the combination you really need is:

1. NDSLite

2. R4 (yes, it's damned old but can be got for pennies and the WoodR4 firmware brings it bang up to date)

3. EZ-Flash IV 3-in-1 for GBA games (WoodR4 will take advantage of this)

4. Lameboy emulator on your SD card.

Now you can play NDS games, GBA games and GB/GBC games all on one console (imo, the best of the lot) on one cart. You can even claim that the roms on it are only backups of your real games if you like. I did.

D

Even better, the combination you really need is:

1. NDSLite

2. R4 (yes, it's damned old but can be got for pennies and the WoodR4 firmware brings it bang up to date)

3. EZ-Flash IV 3-in-1 for GBA games (WoodR4 will take advantage of this)

4. Lameboy emulator on your SD card.

Now you can play NDS games, GBA games and GB/GBC games all on one console (imo, the best of the lot) on one cart. You can even claim that the roms on it are only backups of your real games if you like. I did.

D

Hello

I knew something like this would happen, just 5 minutes after getting hold of a Gameboy Advance SP Graphite AGS-101 on

E Bay, then reading this here, I look up from my keyboard to the shelf above and what sits there, a DS Lite also with an R4.

It has not been used for so long I forgot about it, and the fact that it plays GBA games. Oh well I either keep the Graphite or put it

back on E Bay.

^ lol =^-^=

i'm just surprised that you already had the best available option and went to so much trouble to get something else.

I guess that living in a 3rd world country makes you rather intimate with whatever device you shell out for.

... at least in my pay bracket.

^ lol =^-^=

i'm just surprised that you already had the best available option and went to so much trouble to get something else.

I guess that living in a 3rd world country makes you rather intimate with whatever device you shell out for.

... at least in my pay bracket.

Hello

Yea, but I had forgotten the DS played GBA :D

Still, it will be nice to play the GBA games on an original Advance though, thing is now I have to find some spare

cash to buy the GBA games, have you seen the price they sell some of the better GBA RPGs for, which is

what I am mainly into.

So that is it for now until the next handheld addiction comes along :)

Less than two weeks until christmas, have a good one :)

Yea, but I had forgotten the DS played GBA :D

yes, the DS plays GBA, but it can't play GB/GBC game, despite the slot...

and since we are speaking of GBA, both the GBA and GBA SP can play GB/GBC game, but the GBA micro, can only play GBA game, no GB/GBC on it... otherwise it's my favorite nintendo portable :)

nope, it does not play GB/GBC games, it only emulate them...

Dont Forget: You need an Adapter for the Headphone on the GBA SP, but thats not that expensive but meybe divicult to get because the GBA Sp isnt that new anymore, but if you dont need a Headphone, you can also Hear the Sounds from the Speakers..

I bougt a used gba sp too, but this was bevore i had the Pandora, but the gba works great..

Long ago, as i begun whit handheldgaming, i bought a gba micro, this was a nice little gba whit a great formfaktor but when i think about that today: meybe a gba sp was a bit better solucion because i like to play the very old gameboy games..

nope, it does not play GB/GBC games, it only emulate them...

Wow, and here am I actually playing those games on my NDS! I had no idea I wasn't able to actually play them, even though I can!

D.

not natively... only emulate them. isn't that what he said?

Why he feels that emulation is a point of contention is beyond me - the fact remains that I can play GB/GBC games on my NDSL.

D.

easy, because emulation can at best be as good as the real game (with exception of hi-res pack... through community content is somewhat worst than the original in my opinion)

Back