Gba Emu Status?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have 2 gbas and a ds and i cant afford a flash cart for the gba especialy now that i have to start saving my money (gf and i planning on getting a flat)
Why not sell the 2 gba's and use the proceeds to get a passme and m3 perfect?

then i wont be able to ply multi player gba game s(since DS dont have the ports) and ones the original and oens the GBA SP if i got rid of them my cxollectoin woud be missing a big pice besides i doubt i could get more than £40 for both

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a DS and then promptly threw it in my closet after realizing it only had 4MB of ram and that it needed to be dicked with to make it run any custom code... I thought the GP32 was bad with only 8MB, I can't imagine 4MB.

Not to mention that it can't run my old school gameboy carts. That was just a kick in the pants. How hard would it have been for them to include an emulator in the ROM? *sigh*

I already have a 16MB (thats 128Mbit) Flashcart for GBA, but i would still _love_ to see a good GBA emu running on the gp2x.

because of the following 4 main reasons, esp. number one:
1)Theres 62,5x more space on a 1GB Sd card than on a 16MB flashcart
2) SD cards are much cheaper and much easier to get (no import!)
3) The GP2x display is much bigger than the GBA one (if the emu would support scretching, and it doesnt look that bad scretched) + backlight! (remember, only GBA SP and DS have that, but not the original gba...)
4) with an emu, you could probably save whenever you want to, plus maybe screenshots, more than one savestate, ...

btw, £40? yeah maybe today, however 2-3 (?) years back when i bought mine, i payed about 120€ for my 16MB EZ-Flash 1 one... heh ;)

Yeah, there's tons of space on SD cards. So get an M3 or a Supercard, and you can use an SD card and fit all the roms on it you want. Not sure about the Supercard, but the M3 apparently also supports savestates.

I may be alone on this, but it gets very tiresome carrying around a GP2X and a DS just so I can play GBA games and all the stuff that the 2x can do.

iignotus posted on Feb 1 2006 at 07:31 PM said:
I may be alone on this, but it gets very tiresome carrying around a GP2X and a DS just so I can play GBA games and all the stuff that the 2x can do.

then write a GBA emu yourself ;)

It's not such a big deal ... sometimes I bring my DS and my GP2X to work with me. Plastic shopping bags work wonders for carrying things ;)

It seems to me that GBA emulation on a handheld is just too far out of reach for it to be practical, and as has been said before ... flashcarts.

Still, even double 6-7 fps seems about as much as it'll give you, you'd really have to ASM everything to get a decent speed.
I've had a look around the VBA source, there's plenty of space for gp2x-oriented optimizations without ASM for everything. When my GP2X finally gets in my hands and I finish my current emu, I'll think about porting VBA. No promisses though, I work all day and have classes at night.

TelcoLou posted on Feb 1 2006 at 09:45 PM said:
It's not such a big deal ... sometimes I bring my DS and my GP2X to work with me. Plastic shopping bags work wonders for carrying things ;)

It seems to me that GBA emulation on a handheld is just too far out of reach for it to be practical, and as has been said before ... flashcarts.

i heard that they got perfectly emulated GBA games on the gp32

which brings me to another question couldn't one of those be ported much easier?

CyberAxe posted on Feb 3 2006 at 01:22 AM said:

You heard wrong.

GP32 emulates GBA games but only a few commercial games and very slowly without sound.

CyberAxe posted on Feb 3 2006 at 02:22 AM said:

which brings me to another question couldn't one of those be ported much easier?

It ran a few demos much faster than the original GBA, but commercial games ran too slowly to be playable. It was without sound, too.

Also, it would not be easy to port as it uses the MMU, which we don't have access to in Linux.

The best way to go around GBA emulation is not. :) Since the GBA runs an ARM9 processor, SIMULATING GBA code on the GP2X CPU seems to be the best way to go for me - timers and sound and other crap could go on the second processor - maybe, wild-guessing this one. Kinda like DOSEMU for Linux - it runs DOS software at native speed by compatibilizing DOS system calls with Linux ones - in handhelds, there is no such thing as "system calls" in the normal OS sense, since all handheld games are designed to fully control the machine, but games are written in assembly to get the most out of the hardware and maybe ARM9 assembler is compatible with ARM920T (GP2x CPU IIRC) assembler, so a "simple" bypass might do it.

Porting VBA is the long way around because it is written in x86 code - porting it is more effort with less results than simulating a GBA.

Just my 2 cents. (asbestos suit on) :lol:

The best way to go around GBA emulation is not. smile.gif Since the GBA runs an ARM9 processor, SIMULATING GBA code on the GP2X CPU seems to be the best way to go for me - timers and sound and other crap could go on the second processor - maybe, wild-guessing this one. Kinda like DOSEMU for Linux - it runs DOS software at native speed by compatibilizing DOS system calls with Linux ones - in handhelds, there is no such thing as "system calls" in the normal OS sense, since all handheld games are designed to fully control the machine, but games are written in assembly to get the most out of the hardware and maybe ARM9 assembler is compatible with ARM920T (GP2x CPU IIRC) assembler, so a "simple" bypass might do it.

Already in the FAQ-thread. Gravedigger detected.

epitaph posted on Apr 21 2006 at 08:36 PM said:
The best way to go around GBA emulation is not. smile.gif Since the GBA runs an ARM9 processor, SIMULATING GBA code on the GP2X CPU seems to be the best way to go for me - timers and sound and other crap could go on the second processor - maybe, wild-guessing this one. Kinda like DOSEMU for Linux - it runs DOS software at native speed by compatibilizing DOS system calls with Linux ones - in handhelds, there is no such thing as "system calls" in the normal OS sense, since all handheld games are designed to fully control the machine, but games are written in assembly to get the most out of the hardware and maybe ARM9 assembler is compatible with ARM920T (GP2x CPU IIRC) assembler, so a "simple" bypass might do it.

Already in the FAQ-thread. Gravedigger detected.

Sorry. Will now proceed to nearest cliff and jump. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back