Gba micro trouble

jparish1977

So I have a gba micro that won't do a derned thing. The light flash once as it is plugged in, then nada. I replaced the battery, lights showed it was charging, but wouldn't turn on. Left it charging over night, now I'm back to where I started, only with a new battery.

Did I get a bad battery or is the micro pooched?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I tried several (all work just dandy on my retron5 and revo)

It could still be a number of failures though, all of which would require an SMT reflow workstation to fix however. I take it you've looked at the board to identify water damage or fire, if present?

I fully disassembled it and I do see some corrosion near the headphone jack

Hmm, the CPU die is on the other side of the board, under the screen, at least for the ARM core. I think it should still have a z80 core somewhere, even though those units no longer support gameboy/color games, because it's used by some games. I've a feeling it might also be involved in validating the cartridge, but those days a z80 core could be labelled as almost anything and I can't spot it.

There's also good chance that the Z80 is packaged with the main CPU...

I'm going try try and get back to this next weekend. I wound up getting another used micro, but I still wanna see if I can't get this guy going, though from the comments so far do not inspire a lot of hope

Back