Gcse Results

Bingo Jesus

GP2X Hardcore
I'm assuming just a coupe of people on these boards must have got their GCSE results, if you're willing to share how did you do, and waht are you planning to do tomorrow.

Me:
Science A* A*
Electronics A
English A
English Lit B
German C
Maths A*
Drama D
History A
IT A*

I'm pleased as I've got the grades allowing me to do double maths, Physics and Biology at Sixth Form next year.

Nice results :D..

I do Maths and Physics In 6th Form and got -

D for Physics and E, E, E, U for Maths :p hehe

Here are my results:

Maths - A
English - A
English lit. - A
History - A
RE (short course) - A
Drama - B
Graphics - B
Science (double award) - B B
ICT (short Course) - C
French - D

Not bad, huh. :)

Your sister beats me from a few years back... 4 A*s and 7 As. Which was good enough for me :)

On the other hand, my brother (who got his today) did astoundingly... 7 A*s, 4 As and a B. With the B in the extension award in maths...

finty101 posted on Aug 26 2004 at 03:55 PM said:
My sister got 5 A*'s, 5 A's and 1 B.
I got the exact same two years ago. Yes I realise my information is completely useless.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's annoying, you work [reasonably] hard (actually I didn't, but some people do) to try and get the grades you are after, and then find out your qualifications were worthless.

No doubt I will find this after I've done my A Levels too.

LHC posted on Aug 27 2004 at 12:41 AM said:
It's annoying, you work [reasonably] hard (actually I didn't, but some people do) to try and get the grades you are after, and then find out your qualifications were worthless.

No doubt I will find this after I've done my A Levels too.
GSCE -> choose what subjects you're doing best at (usually pointless as you decide your A-Levels beforehand), prove that you're good enough to continue to sixth form. Purely academic.

A-Levels -> prove that you're good enough to go to University, also useful for your resumes if you have no degree, or if you have a degree and 4+ a-levels. Purely academic.

Degree -> actually useful for getting a job. Academic as well as social, proves that you can work on your own and complete research and projects in your field of expertise.

The stepping stone is levelled so people can leave at every step. You are required to take each test to prove yourself. Stay with it, and you'll end up with a nice set of qualifications to decorate your CV with. Don't get discouraged. Pick up a summer job if you haven't already, though. It's all worth it in the end.

The exams work on a sliding scale where A* is right at the top and F and below means you messed up (there's also a couple of other letters, but they just tend to say "worse than F"). U is unclassified; what you shoudl get if you wrote your name and nothing else. X means you didn't turn up to the exam. And I think there's another letter that means something else, but I can't remember what it is. The national average is supposed to be a C grade.

At A-level, thankfully, there isn't an A*, since it'd be very very very hard to get if there was.

My friend got a 'Y' which meant they weren't allowed to mark her exam; I think it was because her phone went off in the french oral exam, so she was banned from the rest of her french papers.

LHC posted on Aug 27 2004 at 12:22 PM said:
My friend got a 'Y' which meant they weren't allowed to mark her exam; I think it was because her phone went off in the french oral exam, so she was banned from the rest of her french papers.

That was the other letter I was thinking of...

N was supposed to replace F at one stage, because it was deemed that Fail was too harsh.

I hate bloody political correctness, don't you?

Back