Gdc 2010 Blog : The Sequel

Game_over

Game Developer
And it's that time again. time to get ready for the big show yet again.

DICE '10 did a good job of headlining what to expect from allot of the sessions coming to GDC '10 (although, it wasn't intentional)

Things to look out for this time around:

*PS3's full "Arc" details-(Playstation Move)

*Microsoft's "Natal" Update- Not really expecting anything new for me, it wasn't a focus at X10 either. They actually had a conference last month during Microsoft's GameFest back on the 10th & 11th of February.

*Killzone 3 Engine Update- Not really expecting much out of this either. Fully Destruct-able Environments is what I'm hearing (If Infamous 2 uses this I will wet myself).

*Metroid other M, Super Mario Galaxy 2 playable- not really much a surprise either, was already playable to some press this past week.

There's allot more to expect this year, will add more in posts later.

This year is going to be slightly different with GDC, one big change is that there won't be three big keynotes as previous years showcased. In a very surprising move, done by the conference organizers, this year is going to be just ONE(!) keynote, from one very nice man- SID MEIER!!!
Civilization V engine will be demoed too, hell, I have my friends, two programmers from Firaxis as roommates this year.

This does not mean a reduction of the typical GDC timed news highlights, not by a long shot; this does mean that this is going to be on big prelude to the revamped E3 on June 15th (which I'll be there too ;) ).

Sooo... what will happen to Gears of War 3?
What's the flavor of the month at IGF?
Onlive will be playable--will it be any good?​

Find out what happens on my exploits, this year, at the Game Developer's Conference...

P.S. The stuff that went down at Infinity Ward, may be topic of the day, that...I'm not looking forward to. Activision is looking more and more like the Deathstar everyday, which is a shame, there is some really good people there who are not to blame at all.

This sounds pretty cool, keep us posted! I especially want to know about Natal :D

Mirror's Edge 2 confirmation, please? Also, I'd like to hear something more concrete about Portal 2's coop mode... Other than that, I'm pretty much only interested in the IGF. That's where most of the good games come from.

Will do.

Leaving in the morning, me and airports just don't get along. thankfully everything can fit in one BIG bag B) .

UPDATE: I'm here in Sunny San Francisco, and I can confirm two things.

1 Both Sony, Microsoft and Epic games WILL have two press conferences EACH(!). What I know right now is that Epic's ones on Thursday and Friday in the south hall, both starting at 2pm. Cliffy B (he doesn't go by that anymore) will be in one of them, historically when that happens there is a new Gears of War on the horizon.

there are already some rumblings that the PS3 version of Mass Effect to from BioWare will surface either here or e3. That's what I've heard so don't quote me on that just yet.

I beat my roommates to checking in, so I'll let you know what they know later.

Oh yeah, I forgot that Palm is also there... If you see Chuq Von Rospach, tell him to hand out some Pres to developers at the IGF! ;)

OrR said:
Oh yeah, I forgot that Palm is also there... If you see Chuq Von Rospach, tell him to hand out some Pres to developers at the IGF! ;)
this + a million, please stop by palm's booth if you get a chance!

- Posted from my Pre Plus ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I've met him, but that was before I just ready your post!

Sorry I so much happened that I don't have time to explain, check G4 arstechnica and Gamespot for more spec like stuff.

Last night was a big night for unity! They had talks all day and hosted a reception having a shit load of developers there!

So yes Unity will be on the PS3 and Google Android devices, And some huge changes to the platform device as well.

Can't wait for the pandora? Imagine Technologies actually had a table filled with every mobile device that caries the SGX line. I talk to the head guy who is very familiar with the pandora and has a handheld (that kinda looked like one, same screen even)that has the exact internal specs as our baby.

In a hurry 10 meeting 12 parties 300 devs to meet up with. And me and my Firaxis roomates are making a facebook game.

later.

-Gameover

Game_over said:
Can't wait for the pandora? Imagine Technologies actually had a table filled with every mobile device that caries the SGX line. I talk to the head guy who is very familiar with the pandora and has a handheld (that kinda looked like one, same screen even)that has the exact internal specs as our baby.
I hope you don't mind that I post a video of that booth from Netbooknews.de

ARM Mali 200 GPU demo

@mali- glad you showed that, that's what I was talking about, the one that folded next to the netbooks towards that right is the one that has the Pandora specs.

OMG did I have a good time at GDC this year, I say a good 60% got a google phone free, that google phone has a 30 day trial period with unlimited data, 300 anytime minutes with Verizon (I think that just applies to the droids).

A lot of firsts:

Being a CA has it's advantages- we were the first to play and have a Super Street Fighter IV tournament, with are friends at CAPCOM, which was allot of fun.

I've made a bunch of Lucasarts friends who showed me some things regarding TFU2. Disney hosts the best parties, 2k holds the best parties with open bar. I guess nudity is welcomed as long its with God of War III; and I made it through the entire week without getting a hangover.

blog to come on my personal site (with pic!).

Jourdy288 said:
Epic win. Anything about Natal, might I ask?

Not as big of a presence as move, but still there.

Ah, thanks, I'm really wondering what's going to become of it...
What about those new Tegra chips from Nvidia?

Jourdy288 said:
Ah, thanks, I'm really wondering what's going to become of it...
What about those new Tegra chips from Nvidia?

Nvidia was there in full force, they gave everyone noise makers that numbers on them, whoever found the matching numbers won a laptop I think.

They should a bunch of really nice tablets, I want the one from MSI.

Back