Neo900 - Dying fast - GDC dropped support

kingoddball

Just a quick one - Golden Delicious (GDC) has all but dropped support for the Neo900 project. This same team (person) is working with the Pyra - Hopefully not handling any money aspects.

Sad news! :(

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1425501&postcount=1867

So lets hope nik will continue working with ED and get this over the line! :)

Can't wait for the Pyra but partially devastated by the Neo900 news!

I was one of the first preorders/donations.

Hope Ed and Nik continue working together on Pyra!

Don't worry about the Pyra, we made everything pretty clear from the beginning.

He's doing the development as freelancer, he gets paid for his work and I'm the main organizer.

AFAIK he was also offering / handling preorders of the Neo900, collecting money... but is not the main guy making decisions, etc.

Basically, that was similar like I was compared to Craig with the Pandora or Link with the iControlPad2 - and it clearly showed where it can lead to if you collect the money but are NOT part of the deciding team.

I can fully understand him - but still wish the Neo900 luck.

He's still doing the design, he just doesn't want to handle prepayments for the above reason. Nothing else changes.

And it doesn't affect the Pyra in any way.

I think thats very good news. Nicholaus is very good at doing what he does best, with that done, i cant see how this is not a good thing.

All too often the guy who controls the money controls everyting else, i think its very honourable of him to step down.

I feel good about having supported him in his work because he has thought me a great many things.

Whats in store for the neo900 time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I  hope this project succeeds. Unfortunately I cannot afford a Neo900, but I'm following it and I hope sometime in the future I can buy one.

I fear I don't trust Mr Reisenweber like I did GDC and won't re-donate the money.

20 Dollars for a N900? A steal! I paid 100-120 for the ones I bought last year.

The N900 is still one of the best hacker phones out there!  I have three. Use one for development, with a full set of dev libaries on board and gcc. Another I use as my 3G internet hotspot, and daily phone. The third is just sitting around "just in case".

Unfortunately the GPS is pretty weak. While I can get a lock with 3G assist, under open sky, getting a lock in a car is more problematic. In a house, forget it. Also the 256MB RAM is a bit low for heavy surfing. Also the three row keyboard cant compare to the 5 row keyboard of the Motorola Droid 4.

But the best thing about the N900 is, its Linux! No unwanted spyware, no adware. All the linux tools you could want are in the repo. No apps running in the background chewing up CPU (except for pulseaudio, which can use 12-20% cpu depending on cpu speed).

Out of a total of 5 N900s, two got stolen. Never had a problem with the USB except for the unit that

Also the three row keyboard cant compare to the 5 row keyboard of the Motorola Droid 4.
I passed on the Droid 4 because the keyboard was a step backwards from the Droid 3. Wish they would come out with the 5th milestone device already.

-God Ginrai

Back