GemRB & BG2

scorpio

Website
www.xdi.nu
Hi guys,

I am on the brink of making an ad for the Pandora - that's right and actual ad :) so i have been slowly seeing what games really show it off so can compile a quick 30s to 60s high-impact ad with recognisable and awesome looking games, with a killer track etc I work in film production and this is going to be a blast. I have had no problem getting all the emus and games to work - I am no UNIX user and am still able to wrap my head around this amazing piece of kit simply by looking at the wiki and reading the forums. The answers are all there. But when it comes to GemRB I must not be using the right search strings or am just not looking in the right place - I can not find any clear instructions or examples of what I should be doing to make it work with Baldur's Gate 2 (BG2). I will outline what I have tried so far, and can someone who has made BG2 work with GemRB please correct me? Thank you.

Steps I have taken:

1. Copied GemRB 0.6.3 PND to SD card
  2. Inserted card into panda
  3. Ran GemRB
  4. Removed SD card and inserted into my desktop pc
  5. Navigated to the new GemRB folder in appdata on the SD card
  6. Created a Bg2 folder within gamedata
  7. Copied my entire Bg2 install directory from my desktop pc - note my Bg2 install is the full install so it includes all the files in a data/Data directory and music is data/Music, plus CD2, CD3, and CD4 directories with data in them too
  8. I put that back into the panda, ran GemRB again and nothing happened

So i searched the forums and I came across some discussions (which I can't find anymore arghhhh!) with EvilDragon talking about putting all the data and music files in the high level data directory, rather than individual directories so I then did this:

1. removed SD card from panda, put back into desktop pc
  2. MOVED files from data/Data and data/Music up a level into parent data folder
  3. MOVED files from CD2, CD3, CD4 and CD5 into the same data folder as the rest, some files had same names which are common files across all CDs - I believe of the main city areas, so did not overwrite the originals just to save time.
  4. Put SD back into panda and ran GemRB again
  5. again does not work. it doesn't even load. the SD card light flashes for two seconds and then stops. if i use minimenu it just resets back to the menu again.

Since I know some have it working I must simply not have the files in the correct directory structure expected by GemRB. Can someone please tell me what that directory structure is exactly?

Thank you a million times in advance :)

Once I get this working, I will get some more GoG that work on the panda and then shoot the ad :)

I can't help you directly but here's the forum post EvilDragon made that you couldn't find:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56677-gemrb/page__hl__gemrb__st__45

I would guess the directory structure needs to be:

/pandora/appdata/gemrb/bg2/ <- all the files (but not the folders) from your install directory

/pandora/appdata/gemrb/bg2/data <- all the files that's normally in things like data/Data and data/Music

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't help you directly but here's the forum post EvilDragon made that you couldn't find:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56677-gemrb/page__hl__gemrb__st__45

I would guess the directory structure needs to be:

/pandora/appdata/gemrb/bg2/ <- all the files (but not the folders) from your install directory

/pandora/appdata/gemrb/bg2/data <- all the files that's normally in things like data/Data and data/Music

hey thanks mate that's the thread i was referring to. it's not clear by reading the discussions what the final folder structure is meant to be. and as you can see form my steps above i have done the right thing. so this is my structure at the moment:

/pandora/appdata/gemrb/bg2 has all the install files even the folders

/pandora/appdata/gemrb/bg2/data has all the .bif files from all the data folders of the original install

can someone who has BG2 working with GemRB please confirm if this structure is correct? If so then I will have to dig deeper to see what is causing the problem.

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
really, no one out there has go this working that can offer guidance?

I remember getting this to work awhile ago, but it was WAY too slow to be playable. I am pretty sure nothing has changed in this regard for BG2. Have you gotten BG1 working yet? If you get that up and running, I remember the process being the same, but it is much much more stable and playable. Hope that helps.

really, no one out there has go this working that can offer guidance?

I remember getting this to work awhile ago, but it was WAY too slow to be playable. I am pretty sure nothing has changed in this regard for BG2. Have you gotten BG1 working yet? If you get that up and running, I remember the process being the same, but it is much much more stable and playable. Hope that helps.

hey thanks. yeah i got bg1 working just now :) i never played through bg1 so i'll do that and hopefully in the next few months, by the time i've completed it, there will be an optimised gemrb engine for the panda :)

Back