Gemrb Vs. N64

What would you like to see on which project Adventus work?

• GemRB

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • N64

Votes: 53 37.6%
  • Whatever he wants

Votes: 72 51.1%

• Total voters

Adventus said:
Ummmm, this really isn't neccessary. I'm sure I mentioned it elsewhere, I did compile GemRB for the pandora devboard but SDLVideo doesn't work on my current OS setup. It loads all the plugins then just fails when the call to SDL_SetVideoMode is made. This might change soon.

Good luck on that. You're an awesome developer!

Last edited by a moderator:
That damn func blows up on a lit of platforms :) never had a problem on panda devboard yet, but on evry other platform :) probably an sdl bug, and usually can be worked around with depth or surface changes if it's the same one I always catch. Damned thing :)

jeff

Adventus said:
Ummmm, this really isn't neccessary. I'm sure I mentioned it elsewhere, I did compile GemRB for the pandora devboard but SDLVideo doesn't work on my current OS setup. It loads all the plugins then just fails when the call to SDL_SetVideoMode is made. This might change soon.

Alrighty, someone close this thread before more blood is spilled.

marshal said:
EDIT: ok look like I am wrong... adventus is working on both. Seriously he'll probably do what he please and don't need a pool.

I dunno. A pool might *just* be enough to convince somebody to prioritize one project over another :D

Enough of this talk of pools. I'm off to the sea for a swim...

Adventus said:

Thanks, Adventus :)
I'm really looking forward to it and hope you can iron out the bug.

As a (naive) user I would pick N64
As a developer I would say that its completly up to him - thats why I chose the 3rd option.

After all, the number of wrappers and functions to speed up porting increase and ports start to be only a matter of re-compiling. The N64 plugin (gles2n64) however is more complex because it uses a large number of OpenGL functions, porting is not too easy. But thats done already I think, the next problem is to optimize it as wrappers usually add overhead, N64 is hard to emulate on Pandora anyway, thats why anything has to be optimized.

I would guess that GemRB is easier to optimize and port when the functions and wrappers used above are integrated (probably with changes from gles2n64) as it probably doesn't use too many OpenGL features and I would assume that the parts which have to be changed to be Pandora compatible are not too time critical.

puppydee said:
I'll definatly be playing the unreleased ps1 version of Baldur's Gate when my pandora arrives :) stick with the N64 emulator. Lets get that running sweet. I do chuckle about ALL the polls on here for one strange reason or another. Not that it usually makes any difference, lol :)

There was a ps1 BG? where can I see more info please?

Exophase said:
Lots of backpedaling going on here. Say what you want, but the poll title says "what should Adventus do", not "what do you care about more."

yes that´s the point which entitles the big amount of criticism - you´re right.
i was a little bit confused because i just looked at my post and didn´t recognized what i´d said in the poll
i was too harsh concerning this. sorry above all addressed to adventus.

Pickle said:
ok, i got gemrb to start with the demo data, should work as expected with the full thing.

You're a champion among men!

Pickle said:
ok, i got gemrb to start with the demo data, should work as expected with the full thing.

Nice one Pickle. GemRB should rock on the Pandora. Any chance of a video? Please

Awakening said:
Since GemRB is still in development and not fully working I say go with N64.
I'd say that's a damn good reason to work on it.

Tokiopop said:
Awakening said:
Since GemRB is still in development and not fully working I say go with N64.
I'd say that's a damn good reason to work on it.

But there would less point in porting it. You would have to be involved in the development of the software itself. If it was fully working I would love to play Planscape Torment on my Pandora, maybe actually playing it through this time. That game is on 4 CDs IIRC, and great story.

As far as I'm aware, porting it to the Pandora isn't that difficult when you know how it needs to be done, so once he's done both it will be quite easy to port updated versions in future. As was mentioned earlier, he's not a dev for the apps, he's just porting them.

So if you will allow a non-techy guy to ask.. does this mean we will see the games on the pandora (fully playable), wont see the games, maybe possible see the games, etc? When? Not soon? up to x-number of developers, etc? I think that it would be more than amaizing to see these games on pandora, but I aint a developer so am subject to the development of others, and am in no postion to do other than request. That being said, this discussions means little to me unless a fully playable game can be developed in the (hopefully) near future, and can be played by the lay-man like me.

Just one guys opinion......

GemRB is an Open Source alternative for the Infinity Engine. The Infinity Engine can't be ported, because it's not Open Source. Thus the Pandora port of GemRB will have the same features/shortcomings.

Check this for more info:
http://linux.prinas.si/gemrb/doku.php

and this for bugs/missing features:
http://linux.prinas.si/gemrb/doku.php?id=todo

mali said:
GemRB is an Open Source alternative for the Infinity Engine. The Infinity Engine can't be ported, because it's not Open Source. Thus the Pandora port of GemRB will have the same features/shortcomings.

Check this for more info:
http://linux.prinas.si/gemrb/doku.php

and this for bugs/missing features:
http://linux.prinas.si/gemrb/doku.php?id=todo
Did anyone here not know this?

Tokiopop said:
Did anyone here not know this?
It was meant as a reply to this, especially covering the "fully playable" part.
So if you will allow a non-techy guy to ask.. does this mean we will see the games on the pandora (fully playable), wont see the games, maybe possible see the games, etc?

Back