Generalnmx's Anime And Manga Thread

Scrapped Princess owns.

If you liked Scrapped Princess, you may also like Star Ocean EX (especially if you've played Star Ocean 2) and Psychic Academy. There's also Tales of Eternia...does anyone know any good fantasy/sci-fi blends that aren't based on video games and aren't dark? Besides Scrapped Princess and Psychic Academy, that is.

Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushi Sekai and UFO Princess Walkyure might be interesting if you like Shoujo + Fantasy/Sci-Fi action (and tons of fanservice with the latter).

There's also Ragnarok the Animation and .hack//SIGN, neither of which I particularly recommend unless you've played the games they are based on (actually, .hack//SIGN was made alongside the game). And of course we all know Trigun, but that's not in a Fantasy setting - I'd say Sci-Fi all the way, especially with the Westren theme.

Oh, and Now and Then, Here and Now - I do like a good drama/sci-fi, and this one really gets to me. Powerful story with lots of depth, harsh reality, yet little gore. While I do like action dramas, I hate gorey movies. I'm not really hemophobic, I just don't think oceans of blood spewing from a person can be used as any type of theatrical device, except as an attempt to "horrify" the viewers.

Rico posted on Sep 11 2004 at 10:04 PM said:
(I'm thinking guro, scat, or rape)

I have never before heard the term "guro". Anyone care to tell me what it is?

Last edited by a moderator:
WTF is scat too?

BTW: No I won't google image search it, sounds sick.

EDIT: Mmmm, I googled it, think I'm going to throw up.

Mosch posted on Sep 12 2004 at 04:45 AM said:
I have never before heard the term "guro". Anyone care to tell me what it is?
Guro = hentai with gore in it. Like girls with no arms or cuts along their stomachs and stuff. It might actually refer to gore in general but I've only ever heard it used in the ecchi sense. For some inexplicable reason it's a popular fetish in Japan, although I've seen any of it myself because it simply doesn't appeal to me.

finty101 posted on Sep 12 2004 at 08:37 AM said:
WTF is scat too?

I also googled

I also feel sick

Used to watch a fair bit of manga in my younger days. Although the dubbing used to make me cringe... is it any better these days, actually perferred reading the manga itself

fave mangas were Crying freeman (brilliant) , Akira, Dominon Tank Police

Reading this thread has made me think about checking some out some anime again

What the best torrent for anime?

mattmagoo posted on Sep 12 2004 at 07:39 PM said:
have u seen the crying freeman film

tis very good

I have really enjoyed although the manga is better of course! Wouldn't mind seeing the anime version.. can't find it on any biot torrent :( and its not availabe on dvd either :(

Rico posted on Sep 12 2004 at 10:35 AM said:
For some inexplicable reason it's a popular fetish in Japan, although I've seen any of it myself because it simply doesn't appeal to me.

I understand you perfectly... thank you.

Just watched Kite. Yes, the sex scenes were pointless (except one that was amusing) and worse yet, UNAROUSING. The plot was quite good compared to regular TV, but crap compared to other anime (no character progression, despite that being the main theme of the show...) Fun watch though. I preferred Mezzo Forte.

"Drink every drop this time!"
"I can't drink this much cum!"
"If you don't do it we'll just have to fuck ye up the ass again."

The English dub was hilarious.

Rico posted on Sep 12 2004 at 08:33 PM said:
Just watched Kite. Yes, the sex scenes were pointless (except one that was amusing) and worse yet, UNAROUSING.

Do you norrmally get aroused by cartoons :huh: :blink:

Not tentacles or rape, but if I'm watching some anime that contains sex, it's not like I can't bear watching it.

OMG CARTOON SEX LOL

My taste varies alot on anime. Im not really into Manga, haven't read anything compeltely, few magazines only... I happen to have some Akira manga on my shelves :p

Anyway, my favorite genres are: Romance, Drama, Action, Martial Arts, Mech

Current favorite shows:
- Naruto
- Gundam Seed
- Hellsing
- Hunter X Hunter
- Midori No Hibi

EDIT #1:
Uh .. Have some hentai on my shelves too, example: Urotsukidoji set.
Sick stuff I say :p

No-one's mentioned Monster or Hikaru No Go yet, I notice - both of which are brilliant (the first one the fansubbers are only up to episode 22, but if you're into dark horror stuff where the horror is all based on atmosphere and not needless gore, then this one is THE anime to watch). They're both on fansub and unlicensed, so give them a google and see if you like the things :)

I must say, I was a little put off Psychic Academy and Tales of Eternia by the reviews on AnimeNFO - should I ignore the things in this instance? I know I enjoyed Scrapped Princess, and likewise Star Ocean EX (though the latter was a little too errrm... "I'm not strong enough to defend people, please make me stronger" cliche for me at times).

Full Moon wo Sagashite was brilliant; finished watching it a week or so ago. There were times when the series infuriated me (I'm not a fan of jpop as a rule), but well worth it overall. The biggest problem is that by the end I actually started to *like* the songs to a degree... which disturbed me a little lol.

Oh, and grab a copy of Last Exiles too, btw; one of the best anime I've ever come across on the adventure side of things. You'll need to buy it now, though, I think; it was licensed sometime a couple of years ago.

Macross Zero is astoundingly good, too, but only up to ep 4 (of 5) in subbage, which is annoying.

Rico posted on Sep 13 2004 at 11:51 AM said:
Not tentacles or rape, but if I'm watching some anime that contains sex, it's not like I can't bear watching it.

OMG CARTOON SEX LOL

Tentacles or Rape aren't those to completely different things.

mattmagoo posted on Sep 12 2004 at 08:23 PM said:
finty101 posted on Sep 12 2004 at 08:37 AM said:
WTF is scat too?

I also googled

I also feel sick

<wretches>

...I want my mommy :(

Tobriand posted on Sep 13 2004 at 05:10 PM said:
No-one's mentioned Monster or Hikaru No Go yet, I notice - both of which are brilliant (the first one the fansubbers are only up to episode 22, but if you're into dark horror stuff where the horror is all based on atmosphere and not needless gore, then this one is THE anime to watch). They're both on fansub and unlicensed, so give them a google and see if you like the things :)

For Hikaru no Go, I think the manga is immensely better then the anime version for the sole reason that it's a story about a boy who plays Go. I mean come on, how much more exciting can the anime make the story? Too much of the anime is just internal dialogue and barely any action >_> But I did enjoy the manga.

I must say, I was a little put off Psychic Academy and Tales of Eternia by the reviews on AnimeNFO - should I ignore the things in this instance? I know I enjoyed Scrapped Princess, and likewise Star Ocean EX (though the latter was a little too errrm... "I'm not strong enough to defend people, please make me stronger" cliche for me at times).

I thought Psychic Academy was funny, and was sad when it ended so quickly (only goes up to Volume 6 out of 12).

Hunter X Hunter also has futuristic settings, but it's more like Dragonball Z then a Fantasy setting.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot Mahoujin no Guruguru! It's a SD (Super Deformed) parody of RPG games, but there's no "I must get stronger" crap like Star Ocean EX, Ragnarok: The Animation, etc. I think the "I must get stronger" stuff is alluring to "gaining levels". But in Mahoujin no Guruguru, after 30 episodes they're at Level 2 :D

Full Moon wo Sagashite was brilliant; finished watching it a week or so ago. There were times when the series infuriated me (I'm not a fan of jpop as a rule), but well worth it overall. The biggest problem is that by the end I actually started to *like* the songs to a degree... which disturbed me a little lol.

What's weird is that the manga doesn't even mention some of Full Moon's lyrics, and they're different then the ones in the anime. The ones in the anime were all made just for the anime. The manga is a LOT darker and more refined then the anime, but the voice actress for Mitsuki is so good that I think the anime wins out.

Also, you still need to watch Da Capo if you like Full Moon wo Sagashite.

There's also Magical Angel Creamy Mami, which is basically a rip-off of FMWS. It's about a girl which was given a magic wand for one year that allows her to transform herself into an idol called "Creamy Mami".

Oh, and grab a copy of Last Exiles too, btw; one of the best anime I've ever come across on the adventure side of things. You'll need to buy it now, though, I think; it was licensed sometime a couple of years ago.

I have no money, that's why I download so much fansubs. But then again, I did just buy a 200GB HDD...but it wasn't just for fansubs! I swear! It was for other P2P downloads too ;)

PinkSpider posted on Sep 13 2004 at 05:32 PM said:

Yeah that's a funny webcomic that I watch. But I must warn you all, it's not exactly work-safe :p

Back