Geocities Is Being Removed!

Jourdy288

*SiGH* I'm really regretting having a Yahoo! e-mail address right now. Yahoo! is pulling the plug on Geocities. All those websites are being removed. Oi. I can't stand Yahoo!, they always pull stuff like this. Yahoo! briefcase? Gone.

My advice to you is to try to save sites like this one.

Hop to it!

Didn't they say "Hey, we're pulling GeoCities, pack anything valuable and gtfo" like a year ago?

Edit: Oh wow, I forgot I had a GeoCities account. Well, I've deleted it anyway.. Apparently I'd left some embarrassingly horrible comic up there from like 2 years ago.

lulzfish said:
Didn't they say "Hey, we're pulling GeoCities, pack anything valuable and gtfo" like a year ago?

Yes. They gave plenty of advance notice of this. Nobody has any excuse for lost data. "Oh no, Yahoo pulled the plug on a free service that was full of the worst shit on the internet and gave tons of notice beforehand! What a bunch of assholes!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I had no idea that Geocities still existed. I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a URL with "geocities" in it ....

I've basically abandoned Yahoo for everything except for streaming Launchcast stations to my Sansa Connect, anyway (and I'm guessing the plug will be pulled on that pretty soon). Used to have a Yahoo email address but got tired of its lousy spam-filtering ability. Used to use Yahoo Maps for generating directions, but there are several services that do a much better job.

lulzfish said:

Edit: Oh wow, I forgot I had a GeoCities account. Well, I've deleted it anyway.. Apparently I'd left some embarrassingly horrible comic up there from like 2 years ago.

Whoops, they did? Oh well, lol.
Grab what you can regardless.

I remember an "introduction to the internet" class way back in... '94 I think. One of our projects was to get a hotmail account so that we could sign up for a Geocities account. I wonder if my account still exists, 15 years later. Not that it'll matter soon, but like that ugly child you dumped off the bridge, you've gotta wonder if it grew up to become a sociopathic super-villain, and if there was anything you could have done differently.

[SIGH]It's gone now.[/SIGH]

But I saved the site I wanted. There goes several thousand links, I'm trying to imagine all the holes this is going to leave in the web 1.1...

Jourdy288 said:
[SIGH]It's gone now.[/SIGH]

But I saved the site I wanted. There goes several thousand links, I'm trying to imagine all the holes this is going to leave in the web 1.1...

The Internet is way ahead of you and has been prepared for this inevitablity. The solution is called the Internet Archive and it has been around for years.

Oddly, although all geocities.com sites are down, geocities.co.jp sites are still up... like this handy list of the known Chip-8 emulators, and there's a lot of other stuff on the site too - it's still being updated.

This isn't news.

They announced around a year ago that it would be closed down.

Anyone who had a active geocities website would of surely migrated by now.

Back