Getting A Wiz By Monday Need Some Suggestions And Help.

sebas215

Still Fresh
So I ordered my wiz from gp2x store and it is scheduled to come monday. Now I want to be ready and know what to do once I get it so I can play my favorite classics once I get it. I have a 4gb sdhc card < heard that it might not work. So are there any sites that give tutorials about how to setup the sdcard and stuff cuz the zipped and unzipped stuff sounds kinda confusing. The reason I bought this over a dingoo is because I figured it will last me alot longer and has more potential. So my main concern is what should I do first.

Thanks Im new here

http://gp2xwiz.co.uk/wiki/Main_Page

Also be sure to look on youtube about the WiZ .ini files.

Welcome to GP32X community!

Basically unzip the files to the sd card. (see winZIP) If this is too difficult, consider returning it. Seriously, it's not that hard, but if you can't do it for some reason, you'll have a hard time enjoying the device. All the zip's have readme.txt's, please read those when you unpack, they might contain some extra info. So basically, unzip to a directory, add roms to same (OR the directory named in the _README_.txt), copy files to SD card.

thanks for the help so far It shouldnt be too hard Im not dumb with computers haha so I should be able to figure it out Ive messed around with psp's and stuff like that People just make this sound really hard

well one of the tutorials on that wiki explained to organize the sdcard into a few general categories which I did Would it be a good idea to get the emulators and games on there now?

is there a site that provides most recent versions of emulators like gpsp lemonboy, whatever snex emulator there is, etc. Not exactly sure how to put the emulator files in Im guessing just drag into the emulation folder.

Also Ive been reading more and some people seem to have problems with saving do I need to make a .sav file for whatever game then and put it in with the emulator

sebas215 said:
well one of the tutorials on that wiki explained to organize the sdcard into a few general categories which I did Would it be a good idea to get the emulators and games on there now?

is there a site that provides most recent versions of emulators like gpsp lemonboy, whatever snex emulator there is, etc. Not exactly sure how to put the emulator files in Im guessing just drag into the emulation folder.

Also Ive been reading more and some people seem to have problems with saving do I need to make a .sav file for whatever game then and put it in with the emulator

I have all my emulators in the game folder. I then put all the games the are for that emulator in it's rom folder.

Like such, game>snes>roms>Super Metroid.

Openhandhelds has all the working and in progress emulators. You must use these emulators, they're ported so only they work on WiZ.

When saving, just use 'states'. The emulator will create them for you when you input it to.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's not hard, the only time consuming thing might be looking for specific romsets for choosy emulators, but the mame4all zip has a nice gamelist and fba 2x has a gamelist for version 6 which can be used (obviously) for version 7.2 (the current one for the wiz).

picodrive runs everything, never had any issues, gpsp has a few roms that give problems, but not many, pocketsnes has problems with games using the additional chips for the snes (kirby super star, yoshi's island) but usually emulates everything else pretty well either with the regular gpe ("exe" file for the wiz) or the pocketsnes_fast. lemonboy doesn't give me any problem, haven't tried the other emus.

download inimaker from opendownloads, it creates all the ini files for the emulators you have in the sd's game folder (by the way, sdhc cards work with no problems), very useful.

so as they already said all you have to do is: download the emulators you want, unzip them, read all the readmes for useful infos, place them in the sd card in a folder named "games", place the roms in the roms folder that you usually find in the emulators (if there isn't one I usually create it to keep the files in order and the roms separated from the other files in the emulator's folder), place inimaker.gpe in the sd card and run it to create shortcuts automatically. that's pretty much it.

I also suggest you update boomshine (included game, but newer version is on openhandhelds) and you find the preinstalled stuff in the wiz's nand memory. I use it for the indie/homebrew games and wiz ports (anything whic is not an emulator pretty much).

ok so I set up the card earlier today and put roms in hopefully it will work when my wiz gets here.

I followed the directions at gp2xwiz.info for emulators which is create a game folder then created a seperate folder for each emulator then putting the emulator in that folder in a separate folder so game>snes>pocketsnes folder+ rom folder. also I put the ini.file make next to game on the sd card
I am not sure how that will work but o well.

Thanks to all the people that helped. if theres something I am missing I would like to know thanks again

Your ini files need to go into the game folder. What these do is create a quick short cut under the WiZ's 'WiZ games' menu, instead having to use the launcher and browse for the emu.

You should look into the win2X front end. It might interest you if the WiZ firmware doesn't.

I think your card also has to be formatted fat32. I'd just create a folder on my desktop, copy all the contents off the card and into that folder. Once you get your WiZ turn it on with the blank SD card in it, doing this will set it up to work from my experience.

JayWhite said:
Your ini files need to go into the game folder. What these do is create a quick short cut under the WiZ's 'WiZ games' menu, instead having to use the launcher and browse for the emu.

You should look into the win2X front end. It might interest you if the WiZ firmware doesn't.

I think your card also has to be formatted fat32. I'd just create a folder on my desktop, copy all the contents off the card and into that folder. Once you get your WiZ turn it on with the blank SD card in it, doing this will set it up to work from my experience.

will do

Last edited by a moderator:
just use this: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,116,120.

it creates the in files automatically for any .gpe file in the /games folder in the SD.

Back