Getting My Own Case Color

chuckr

Still Fresh
I've been watching the pictures of the Pandora, and thinking that I'd probably want to see if I can put my own color to the case. I'd want to ask (of anyone who's been lucky enough to see a case) if the Pandora disassembles easily enough for me to be able to apply my own paint, scrape out the various holes (so it actually CAN reassemble) and get my own color that way. I could be stopped if it was (maybe) welded shut, or if too much would be risked if a very careful disassembly was done by someone with a tech background.

If this is a real option, maybe allowing folks to be able to purchase extra cases, so they could switch colors, might be an idea? I haven't any notion if such a thing would be logistically possible (would make a natural point to insert some truly draconian warning, that you're getting ready to break things, and that fixing it after you break it this way is your own problem).

Just realize what kind of possibilities exist, if you didn't have to worry about pleasing everyone. I know my own choice would be really outstanding. The Pandora doesn't depend on radiating heat directly through the case, does it?

They even put solder pads on the motherboard for mods as extra shoulder buttons, and your worried they will weld the case shut?
Yeah, why not go and make a very modifiable unit, spend a few extra bucks on adding stuff only a few will ever even want to use... And then seal the darn thing up so no-one can get to the stuff, just to tease everyone.

It might be a bit of tedious work to scrape the paint out of the button holes, but the unit is made to be easy to modify, so it's prolly even going to have a official "how to disassemble it" thread.
And as always. Taking it apart voids warranty. What they will, and wont be picky about is yet to be figured out, but legally speaking, you have no warranty after opening it up.
B!

I read that they'll still replace a unit under warranty if it fails for a reason unconnected with your meddling. Swapping in an alternate-language key mat shouldn't make you responsible for a poorly-designed custom battery pack frying everything or exploding 6 months later. Not that I expect that to happen.

Attempting to solder onto the pads, missing, and placing a drop of tin between two contacts probably will void your warranty, however.

Wasn't questioning the warranty, wanted to know if there was some hardware-oriented reason that I can't paint the Pandora as I see fit? Like maybe using airplace model enamel dope to get some really nice effects, but if doing that is going to (as an example) cause overheating? I realize there are 59 ways to do this wrong, so I stuck in disclaimer language, but I'm really only interested in any particular rules that I ought to follow, rules I might not be aware of.

Also, I wanted to suggest that the ability of folks to be able to order extra cases be considered, both because having the ability to change colors is demonstrably a popular idea (see popular cellphone options) and also considering that folks might screw up their paint jobs and want to try it again. Maybe make a deal with the manufacturer of the cases, let them handle selling extra cases. I haven't the least idea what a good price might be for a case.

chuckr said:
Wasn't questioning the warranty, wanted to know if there was some hardware-oriented reason that I can't paint the Pandora as I see fit? Like maybe using airplace model enamel dope to get some really nice effects, but if doing that is going to (as an example) cause overheating? I realize there are 59 ways to do this wrong, so I stuck in disclaimer language, but I'm really only interested in any particular rules that I ought to follow, rules I might not be aware of.

Also, I wanted to suggest that the ability of folks to be able to order extra cases be considered, both because having the ability to change colors is demonstrably a popular idea (see popular cellphone options) and also considering that folks might screw up their paint jobs and want to try it again. Maybe make a deal with the manufacturer of the cases, let them handle selling extra cases. I haven't the least idea what a good price might be for a case.

You can paint the pandora as much as you want, it shouldn't hurt it (as with anything else, except maybe the screen on a computer monitor)

Last edited by a moderator:
This video will probably answer your question:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B50Kh70AeE4&feature=channel_page

Last edited by a moderator:
Back