Getting started with GP32

punky_munky

Still Fresh
Hi, I'm very interested in the whole GP32 scene. I have a GBA and flash linker and to be honest the commerical games available for it totally suck donkey balls. I'm planning on selling it on Ebay for about £100 (think that's fair? GBA + 64mb flash card) and buying a GP32 from gbax.com who seem pretty popular with you guys.

I got a few questions though...

Is the GP32 gonna be released in the UK and if it should I wait?
Do I need a smart media linker or can I plug the GP32 directly into the USB?
How's the DivX playback and is it easy enough to compress a 650mb movie down to 128mb?

Thanks for any replies. :)

1. I don't know
2. No extra hardware needed, it comes with the cable to hook your pc up to your gp32
3. I don't have mine yet, it's in the mail, but their aresome great guides for compressingmovies, and the movies look much better on the G32 screen than your PC screen, so it is very useful as a divx player.

Hi there - in answer to your questions:

:huh: Is the GP32 gonna be released in the UK and if it should I wait?
:D Well thats the big question. I doubt it in the short-term, however, over the last couple of months the amount of media coverage the GP32 has been getting has steadily increased. I would say buy it from www.GBAX.com as opposed to abroad because you really do get stung on the import tax. I got a FLU GP32 from Liksang - great service but got a 40GBP import bill :angry: .

:huh: Do I need a smart media linker or can I plug the GP32 directly into the USB?
:D The GP32 comes with a USB cable simply plug one end into USB port and the other into the GP32.

:huh: How's the DivX playback and is it easy enough to compress a 650mb movie down to 128mb?
:D good question, using virtual dub and the guides online its relatively easy. I compressed a certain film staring Keanu Reeves which was three SVCD's and got it down to 115meg. Pretty good quality - you can still see the fight scenes without too much blur. I saw it at the cinema and it was pretty blurred in places so I'm not complaining. Playback was on moviepark which really is the only stable DIVX player for GP32.

Hope this helps. I'm quite sure others will add there 10c.

Thank you people.

I'll definately order from somewhere inside the UK, I've been stung by LikSang/UPS before :angry:

Can't wait to watch the new series of 24 at 3am in my bed in the dark :D

Ive been compressing 6->7GIG! dvd's (Matrix, Mummy, Crouching Tiger, etc) down to 70- 90 MB m8 and there totaly awesome considering the system. Iv'e been through the DVD ripping > compression a few times botched it up some, and now arived at very good results if u need any help im usaly here (time permitting) PM me with any queries on DVD ripping n' compresion if u want m8? ive done it all wrong and got here the hard way :) so i know the drill backwards and forward.

Id buy now they rock GBA-SP £90 GP32 Frontlit £150 that £60 is so worth it. MP3 is also very good.

I cant recormend frontlit highly enough its worth every penny of the extra ~£30 & then some.

For me this superb system for £150 my Xbox + 6 games for under £200 and my monster of a PC for £800 have made my year coz im a total tight wad! and there all amazing bargains.

Buy from GBAX.com they have next day delivery.

Again, every one posts it but if your a noob get your Smart Cards from ebuyer.co.uk they are very cheep, infact im of to buy 2 more now so i can put my Simpsons DVDs on em.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a GP32. I've no interest in the GBA, it's the emulators/MP3/DivX capability that I want. But....

I've heard mention on here about Frontlit screens, which as I understand it, have lights at the edge of screen, between the screen and the plastic cover, so it shines light upon the TFT screen.

gbax.com are selling them described as Backlit, which as I understand it has lights behind the TFT screen.

Can you clear this up for me, which is it?

It won't affect my decision to buy, I'd just rather be clear on the subject.

Cheers,

Lew

Hi lewtron,

Yes, I ordered a "backlit" GP32 from GBAX, and it is really a front lit, with the light round the edge of the screen.

But I think its well worth the extra cash for the light, means you can use it so much more in dark(er) places.

Damn, just started my own thread like this, well it's not exactly the same but I guess I should have read some first.

Even if it is going to be released in the UK, there's no advantage in waiting is there?

Anyone got any pics of their GP32 playing a movie?

Acen posted on May 29 2003 said:
Hi there - in answer to your questions:

:huh: Is the GP32 gonna be released in the UK and if it should I wait?
:D Well thats the big question. I doubt it in the short-term, however, over the last couple of months the amount of media coverage the GP32 has been getting has steadily increased. I would say buy it from www.GBAX.com as opposed to abroad because you really do get stung on the import tax. I got a FLU GP32 from Liksang - great service but got a 40GBP import bill :angry: .

:huh: Do I need a smart media linker or can I plug the GP32 directly into the USB?
:D The GP32 comes with a USB cable simply plug one end into USB port and the other into the GP32.

:huh: How's the DivX playback and is it easy enough to compress a 650mb movie down to 128mb?
:D good question, using virtual dub and the guides online its relatively easy. I compressed a certain film staring Keanu Reeves which was three SVCD's and got it down to 115meg. Pretty good quality - you can still see the fight scenes without too much blur. I saw it at the cinema and it was pretty blurred in places so I'm not complaining. Playback was on moviepark which really is the only stable DIVX player for GP32.

Hope this helps. I'm quite sure others will add there 10c.
Pfft, why'd you get centropys version of matrix 2, you should of gotten tcf's

Last edited by a moderator:
Back