GP32 Getting Started

I'm not sure I agree with this. It is VERY easy to go from C++ to straight C. However, if you learn C first it can be hard to change your way of thinking to one that is appropriate in C++. This is especially true becuase the languages are syntactically so similiar. Also, C++ compilers tend to be stricter, which can help the beginner. Lastly, IO is quite a bit more intuitive in C++.

Yes, I agree the syntax of C++ is easier to learn. I guess it really depends on what you want to do. If you start with C, you are already at the edge of higher-level languages and testing the waters of lower-level languages. While it may be easier to jump your thinking from C++ to C, you do so mainly on a syntactical basis. One of the key reasons for starting with C is to get even a small grasp of how this higher-level programming language relates to the machine code to which the compiler produces. C++ abstracts this concept much further with the addition of classes and a more "user-friendly" interface. So while going to C++ to C may be easy, you'll be creating programs that you know how they work from a syntactical standpoint without much of a clue how they work from a machine-level standpoint. This is why, in my opinion, C should be learned before C++ in most cases.

Well I have always performed better when I have learned the basics of any event I take part in so I guess I will learn C first. I would hate to be able to use C++, but not understand the easy and small things that I would learn in C.

meh, i coded in qbasic for 3 years (lots of restrictions..)
then got a basic C-tutorial on the net, had a look at mirko's examples, had some talks with ppl who know C and now i'm good with C ^^
just pointers are still a bitch at points

go with a book and make some great apps please :)

Ok I ordered C++ for dummies today and I picked up a book to look at while I was waiting for the other to come in. It is called Beginning Programming for Dummies. It talks mainly about Liberty Basic and some other programs. I have read a bit and found some really informative articles in it. One about 10 cool programming jobs which was pretty cool and also provided reference links for getting jobs and schools to go to.

Is this the book that you got? I really don't understand what's the purpose of this book. What exactly is it supposed to do? Teach you a language? If so, which one? What exactly is it used for?

Also, just a warning in case you're like me and like to keep your things in "like new" condition, which I got my book, it had some black stains on a few pages here and there (I've count 3 pages so far with them). Here's what I'm talking about:
stained_2.jpg

stained.jpg

:angry:

Also, you don't have to listen to this:
bend.jpg

There's no way in hell I'm breaking the spine! :D

Attachments

• stained_2.jpg
    stained_2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 122
  • stained.jpg
    stained.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 120
  • bend.jpg
    bend.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 138
  • stained_2.jpg
    stained_2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 127
  • stained.jpg
    stained.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 129
  • bend.jpg
    bend.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 126
  • stained_2.jpg
    stained_2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 120
  • stained.jpg
    stained.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 122
  • bend.jpg
    bend.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 120
Yeah that is the book I got. It's stupid and serves no purpose. Also I hate how they glue the discs to the back of the book causing me to shread the back cover to remove it.

SephirothIce posted on Jul 24 2004 at 02:39 PM said:
Yeah that is the book I got. It's stupid and serves no purpose. Also I hate how they glue the discs to the back of the book causing me to shread the back cover to remove it.
You're joking, right?

About the discs, you're not supposed to tear it out. The plastic cd holding thing is supposed to stay attached to the book, there should be a little slit with a sticker of it that you remove to access the cd.

Last edited by a moderator:
SephirothIce posted on Jul 24 2004 at 02:39 PM said:
You're joking, right?

About the discs, you're not supposed to tear it out. The plastic cd holding thing is supposed to stay attached to the book, there should be a little slit with a sticker of it that you remove to access the cd.

Oops, I tore it out because it was aggervating. Well it does serve a minor purpose. It teaches you basics of several different languages. It's main purpose is to help you pick what language you want to use. My favorite section is the top 10 programming jobs. Each job is given a description with urls to websites that pertain to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think so. After talking to GeneralNMX some last night I think I might try animation instead of programming. However, I am still going to hobby making games on my gp so C++ is still needed in order to succeed at that.

Edit: Azure what kind of game are you planning on making?

I really don't know yet. I have a few ideas in mind, but I would probably be the only one interested in them. I am considering though to, once I'm familiar with C++, browse around the Cool Ideas and Other Wishes forum and just create the things that people want.

Oh I really want to create an rpg. I've always loved rpgs every since I played Chrono Trigger. I've never found a game that I think compares to the story in Chrono Trigger so I guess it was the best rpg to start with because I have been addicted ever since.

Actually, one of my ideas was an RPG, and it would be music heavy. Maybe we could work on something next summer :D

But the thing is, I'm still learning C++. So, these ideas that I'm thinking about may not be too rational. By the time I'm done with learning C++ (Don't exactly know when this will be, but I plan on being finished with my C++ For Dummies book before or early September, and then I'll get an advanced C++ book, which I should be done with by the summer, after that, I'll consider learning ASM), I'll have a more clear idea of what I'd be interested in doing because I'd know what is possible and what isn't, with my knowledge.

Yeah, but there are little sections here and there that can be a little confusing. Everything seems to be going pretty well. I've had it for a little over two weeks and I'm about halfway through the book.

Back