Getting Video Ready For The Gp2x

starbase1

Still Fresh
Website
www.starbase1.co.uk
Hi All,
I got my hands on my shiny new GP2X a couple of days ago, and so far I am VERY impressed, physically it's a lot better build quality than I was expecting. It will take me a bit of time to get to grips with it, but I'm really looking forward to it, particularly getting the hang of the emulators and playing some of the old games I remember from many years ago.

The other thing I like a lot is the idea of having a portable video platform, I like making 3d graphics and have also done some music videos, so being able to show them off is cool.

But I am getting confused about what I should do to convert videos to a format that will work reliably on my GP2X. My most common input format is ready for PAL DVD, though I have huge amount of stuff cluttering my hard drives in a vast number of formats...

Can anyone recommend a good video converter, and the required settings for good playback on the GP2x?

Thanks,
Nick

The best place to start is:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=28856

A fair bit of reading will be required, I had fierce trouble getting some videos to work and (I Think) it was the bit rate I used that slowed the machine down.

Start small (with trailers and suchlike) and work your way up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with pocketdivxencoder as a choice.

Very user friendly with fantastic default encode settings for portable devices.

I noticed that if you have higher bitrates, the SD card specific reading speed can also be a bottleneck.

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone!

I had used Super to get stuff on my phone before, but the pocket encoder looks a lot easier to use, I've started it running now.

Nick

Back