Video Converter Mac

Khayman

Still Fresh
Well is there a video converter for macintosh osx?
2 years ago i switched from pc to mac and booth my wife and me never looked back so dont ask us to get a real computer.
I whant something that is simple to use to convert divx movies (or dvd) to a format that the GP2X can handle but smaller then the original 700mb that a divx movie takes.
Thanks

Khayman posted on Jul 5 2006 at 09:18 AM said:
Well is there a video converter for macintosh osx?
2 years ago i switched from pc to mac and booth my wife and me never looked back so dont ask us to get a real computer.
I whant something that is simple to use to convert divx movies (or dvd) to a format that the GP2X can handle but smaller then the original 700mb that a divx movie takes.
Thanks

FfmpegX is what you desire.

If you're looking to do DVD rips, Handbrake is the true way.

And if there's a video player out there for GP2X that supports it, iSquint can make iPod-compatible .mp4's pathetically easily.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfect :) i used them for a year agoo and now i remember!
But what settings are good for each program so that the movies become small butt still have good quality?
Thank you very much

Khayman posted on Jul 5 2006 at 10:08 AM said:
Perfect :) i used them for a year agoo and now i remember!
But what settings are good for each program so that the movies become small butt still have good quality?
Thank you very much

FfmpegX, I can't help you much there. I'm not so good with the program.

Handbrake, what I do is shrink down the actual size the film is going to be, give it a rough target MB, then do 2-pass encoding. Produces good looking stuff.

iSquint, I usually just leave it on default settings and get good results.

Thats perfect =) thanks a bunch for your help!
What does the 2-pass option really do?
//Jesper

Khayman posted on Jul 5 2006 at 11:21 AM said:
Thats perfect =) thanks a bunch for your help!
What does the 2-pass option really do?
//Jesper

Exactly like it sounds. It goes over the video twice, taking twice as long in the end but producing a higher quality video without increading the size. Since I have one of the new Intel iMacs, I always set the 2-pass encoding. I still can finish an encoding in about half the length of a movie(I could do a two hour movie in one hour with 2-pass encoding), and it produces GREAT results.

Aha... but how many mb are your movies after converting a dvd (in good quality) with handbreak?

Technical stuff follows:

If you want high quality at the cost of speed, always go for 2 pass.

If you want high quality at the cost of size, go for quality settings (quantinizer)

Note that there is no "good size to always pick" because there are many factors that may rise the need to put the size up.

Khayman posted on Jul 5 2006 at 02:09 PM said:
Aha... but how many mb are your movies after converting a dvd (in good quality) with handbreak?

Depends on quality and length. My casshern is 700 MB because it's pretty long, but my thing of Stewie Griffin the Untold Story is a lot lower, because it's shorter and I didn't need as high quality for it to look good.

Just my 2c worth - I use Handbrake too. It really flies on the new intel Macs. No messing about either, enough options. DVD into slot, XviD produced soon afterwards!
Great software!

Ok thanks again!
Yea that handbreak really rocks.. but it take a little longer on my PPC mac mini :)

I know iSkysoft DVD Ripper for Mac. My friend said it is good. I checked the format list. It can not convert Divx.
You can try xilisoft. It maybe convert Divx.

Grave Digging

Last post in this thread was posted Jul 6 2006, 09:27 AM, Thats nearly 2 years ago. :blink:

EVERYONE, PLEASE, PLEASE, CHECK THE LAST POST DATE BEFORE REPLYING TO A TOPIC. ANY TOPIC WITH A LAST POST OLDER THAN A FEW MONTHS OLD, YOU CAN PROBABY SAFELY SAY THAT THE QUESTIONS IN THAT TOPIC WERE EITHER ANSWERED BY SOME OTHER MEANS, OR THE PEOPLE FOUND THEIR ANSWERS ELSEWHERE.

THANKS.

Trooper

Back