Movie Conversion Settings

stephen.terrell

Still Fresh
Is there an "ideal" bunch of settings for converting movies to play on the GP2X?

I have been using an Archos 400 for some time and have used both the supplied Archos MPG4 Translator (which uses VirtualDub with the DivX pro 6.4 codec) and more recently experimented with the Omniquiti Lathe converter.

They seem to work fine for the Archos 400 but when I load the movies (actually episodes of Stargate Atlantis from my DVDs) into the GP2X I have sound sync problems. Needless to say there are no sound sync problems in the same files when played on the PC (Windows XP) or on the Archos 400.

On my GP2X (firmware 2.1.0) the sound is out of sync (seems to be by a constant amount throughout the 40 minutes) with the video.

Is this a GP2X problem or have I not chosen the best conversion settings for it?

When using the Archo translator to convert the file I have: screen 320*240 at 25fps, 1 pass conversion, there does not seem to be much that can be done with the sound.

With the Lathe converter I set the screen to 320*240, do not select 2 pass encoding, leave video quality on 20 and audio quality on 6. I have selected deinterlace and taken the audio down to 22050 at 96kbps and stereo, framerate left unchecked (whatever that implies). Other settings as for the Archos 400.

On my Archos the VirtualDub converter seems to do a better job on the video, possibly because of the Divx pro codec. In both cases the sound is in sync as it is when the files are played on my PC.

On my GP2X the sound is in advance of the video in each case.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Tex

Back