Second Processor + Video Question

d_lamer2003

Still Fresh
I was browsing this webpage http://gpnewbie.com/gp2x/multi.htm
and this particluar paragraph below caught my attention,mostly the sentence in bold.
The GP2X Linux firmware includes a version of mPlayer, which allows users to play MPEG 4, Divx 3.11,4x,5x, and Higher, and XVID. Best of all, as long as your video is in these formats, there is no need to convert your files regardless of their resolution. The GP2X uses its second processor to resize the videos to fit your GP2X screen in real-time. The player has SMI caption support. Also, when using the TV-Out cable, mPlayer will display the video in full res on your TV (which obviously has a larger resolution than the GP2X).

On my gp2x I can watch videos in their entirely(that is from begining to end), but I have to resize them on my pc 1st to the resolution of 320x240. When I try to watch a video which is in higher resoltuion on my gp2x, the video starts playin, but after like say 7 to 10 mins the video freezes, and sometime my gp2x crashes.
Could this video problem be a cpu (video processor) too?

d_lamer2003 posted on Sep 9 2006 at 02:20 PM said:
I was browsing this webpage http://gpnewbie.com/gp2x/multi.htm
and this particluar paragraph below caught my attention,mostly the sentence in bold.
The GP2X Linux firmware includes a version of mPlayer, which allows users to play MPEG 4, Divx 3.11,4x,5x, and Higher, and XVID. Best of all, as long as your video is in these formats, there is no need to convert your files regardless of their resolution. The GP2X uses its second processor to resize the videos to fit your GP2X screen in real-time. The player has SMI caption support. Also, when using the TV-Out cable, mPlayer will display the video in full res on your TV (which obviously has a larger resolution than the GP2X).

On my gp2x I can watch videos in their entirely(that is from begining to end), but I have to resize them on my pc 1st to the resolution of 320x240. When I try to watch a video which is in higher resoltuion on my gp2x, the video starts playin, but after like say 7 to 10 mins the video freezes, and sometime my gp2x crashes.
Could this video problem be a cpu (video processor) too?

Thats exactly what im thinking too!
I have the same problem.. Maybe there is a fix for it but i think its an error in the CPU.
(You are the guy who told me to resize and it worked bro thnx!)

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, the gp2x has a hardware scalar which is used by MPlayer and the HW SDL libraries.

PokeParadox posted on Sep 9 2006 at 04:50 PM said:
When the scaler is used, it draws more power from the GP2X, so maybe your batteries can't sustain the load?

Well in my case it even got stuck with the adapter and im pretty sure thats also the case with d_lamer

Dennis1989 posted on Sep 9 2006 at 06:05 PM said:
When the scaler is used, it draws more power from the GP2X, so maybe your batteries can't sustain the load?

Well in my case it even got stuck with the adapter and im pretty sure thats also the case with d_lamer

I have not bought an adapter yet, but I am quiet amazed that we have the same gp2x (at least Im assuming), with same software and yet, some of us can watch a movie withouth having to down convert it before putting it on the gp2x, and some have to convert it, so something wrong somewhere must be <_< :(

d_lamer2003 posted on Sep 9 2006 at 06:43 PM said:
Dennis1989 posted on Sep 9 2006 at 06:05 PM said:

I have not bought an adapter yet, but I am quiet amazed that we have the same gp2x (at least Im assuming), with same software and yet, some of us can watch a movie withouth having to down convert it before putting it on the gp2x, and some have to convert it, so something wrong somewhere must be <_< :(

Maybe a bad factory batch?

Have you tried changing the clockspeed (Save, Normal, Full) with the Y button in the explorer bit of the media player?

Back