Quick (possibly Stupid) Question

piphil

Still Fresh
Having played with my GP32 gp32_console for a few months (it's awesome, ain't it?) I decided to upgrade to the GP2X, which I've just ordered.

One thing confuses me though - the screen resolution is stated as 320 x 240 at Wikipedia.org, but the maximum DivX resolution is quoted as 720 x 480. Why double the resolution for the files? Surely this is a waste of file space, or am I missing some important peice of info here? Is this simply for use with the TV-out?

Also, is getting video onto the GP2X as faffy as getting it onto the GP32? I did eventually get video to work on the GP32, but the limited SM card space made it impossible to have a decent collection, whilst the playback was often choppy at best.

piphil posted on Dec 13 2006 at 10:19 AM said:
Having played with my GP32 gp32_console for a few months (it's awesome, ain't it?) I decided to upgrade to the GP2X, which I've just ordered.

One thing confuses me though - the screen resolution is stated as 320 x 240 at Wikipedia.org, but the maximum DivX resolution is quoted as 720 x 480. Why double the resolution for the files? Surely this is a waste of file space, or am I missing some important peice of info here? Is this simply for use with the TV-out?

It just means that it can play files of that resolution, but it scales them down to fit the screen. Its useful if you've ripped some video to watch on your PC (or you have aquired something from the interweb <_< ) and it is at a higher resolution than the GP2X's screen, then you don't have to reencode the file.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don´t forget you can watch your videos on the TV too via TV out. Then you need the high resolution. BTW Watching videos is simpler on the 2x, it will playback anything that´s encoded with DivX or XviD.

yeah, its mostly for tv out, and as said, the 2x can play just anout any DiviX or XviD .avi

Back