Gigadrive 0.023

This is brilliant, and is the reason why I bought my GP32 all those months ago!!

Revenge of Shinobi is gonna keep me up tonight. Hearing those tunes is taking me back to being 14 again!

:) :) :) :)

I think the button config is superb for the emu....Anyway greta news from fdave as always :D Let me know if you want me to test anything specifically Dave.
Thanks
Rob

This Emu Rules :D

dose anyone know what the speed the normal fxe runs at ?

Compyfox for now you could always turn down the volume control on the bottom of the Gp32 but personally I though the sound was barrable and it makes the games alot more enjoyable ;)

Just downloaded it, will try it out soon.

One feature request, though:

Is it possible to force detection of a particular region? I tried to load Monster World 4 (Wonderboy 6) and it won't play unless you force detection of a Japanese system. Autodetecting does not work as the cart will load (but not play) in a US system.

Exo posted on May 31 2004 at 11:43 PM said:
This Emu Rules :D

dose anyone know what the speed the normal fxe runs at ?

Compyfox for now you could always turn down the volume control on the bottom of the Gp32 but personally I though the sound was barrable and it makes the games alot more enjoyable ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
People are extremely ungrateful on this forum <_< :angry: fdave In my opinion you should be working on the GFX and getting the compatibility as high as possible. Sound should come later. Maybe you should like rlyeh release only private betas so you don't get all these whiners? I don't know I think getting as many games working would be the most important thing. Hence I did a beta test list with all the tiny bugs. Anyway I'm happy if you either work on sound or GFX. Disabling sound???? WTF??? just get an older version geez. No pleasing some people. <_<

kotd posted on May 31 2004 at 08:47 PM said:
Anyway I'm happy if you either work on sound or GFX
Thats the fact- fdave, its your emu. Do whatever you like with it- we'll all be greatfull. If you feel this will be best in the longrun, then theres no question. Thank you for your kickass work and I hope you continue to make progress, which, judging by this new version, you most certainly are. Again thank you for your hard work.

I wrote the emulator for me
If you wrote the emu for us, you are WORKING and sooner or later is boring...
if you write your emu for yourself, you are playing with code and having FUN.

We get the emus as a nice side effect. You do what you want and play with the code.

Aye, I am very greatful for sound coming alive and even if sound did not progress further than this quality I would still be perfectly happy about it. I am one of those who needs sound to play, but the quality of the sound is not imporant :)

The only point you can have about the keys is that is currently more or less impossible to press the A and C buttons at the same time. While addressing valid points such as that, I don't see why certain folks run around mourning "KEYS SUCKS, MAKE IT BETTAR!!!!!!111111" or "MAKE IT FASTER EVEN THO IT IS WRITTAN IN ASM, MAKE IT FASTER STILL BECAUS I DEMAND IT TO RUN AT 8MHZ TO SAVE MONI ME ON BETTERIES!!!!!!!11 AND THE MEGA DRIVE RUN AT JUST 7MHZ SO IT SHOULD BE THEORATICALY POSSIBLE TO RUN EMULATER AT 8MHZ WARY EASY IF YOU CAN PROGRAMMER GOOD!!!!!!!11" since those kind of comments help no one.

I was very suprised when I saw the text on the dialog boxes work flawlessly in Phantasy Star 3, since that did not function properly in the previous version I played.

Please let me set things straight. I never ever whined about "I w4nt t0 h4v34 t3h s0und! N0W!!!111!!!one!". I was happy just to be able to actually "have" a smooth running emulator. If it counts to me, I'm also for the thing "first the compatibility and graphics, then the sound". Everything else isn't important, as I also mentioned.

The other stuff were merely suggestions. Hell... and now I get flamed just because I said that or what?! Good... keeping my mouth shut from now on. *geez* The question "Are We Still A Friendly Community ?" is really a serious issue lately... :angry:

fDave:
I respect your words and also your opinions. But please don't force yourself to do stuff that you don't want to do in the first place. People are whining over everything. And if you're finished with one thing, they want more and never stop. Not to mention that they aren't even thankful, even if they say they are.

With the "no sound" thingy, I switched back to v0.20 - no big deal. It's more than enough for me now and like I said in another post, I can wait. Just take your time and keep up the good work.

Thanks again for all the efforts.

i think the majority of people just don't understand what goes into writing an emulator. or any program or project really. making a savestate function, or implementing or removing sound is really fucking easy, so is adding gamma control or a file selector.

There's my point, everything is a pain in the ass really. That's why it takes a while for any of these one-man-army programmers to churn anything out - not cause it's particularly hard ot do, it just takes time and any particular aspect of any such project (to repeat - sound, saves, zip support) just requires a fair bit of futzing with and of course it affects the stability/integrity of the damned whole rest of the program. Not that any of it is particularly a super-hurdle, it's just always kind of uniqe and must be dealt with in a certain way. it's not like a painting where you can just go in and touch up certain areas, at your leisure.

But it's hard to be pissed off at "the audience" for this, and most times the authors acknowledge the public's general ignorance. Not to say they (the public) are stupid, they just don't know! And when something like, oh, a fullspeed genesis emulator (which we've all been clamoring for, for a couple years!) finally shows up, then it's brings with it a certain amount of expected enthusiasm, and that includes "cool now do this, that, and this too - it can't be that hard right, the other emulators all have it!" Yeah, well everything takes time, especially when you have a job/life/girlfriend/fill in the blank. So I can't blame emu authors for getting a little aggravated when they get steamrolled by requests. (we'll never know your true pain!)

I am no emu author, I don't pretend to be, just another fan. I have been watching these forums for ages, this is all that's really left of the "what's next in emulation!" excitement for me (the novelty of emu's on PCs has worn off, let's face it - I want to play Jr. Pacman on the toilet!). It's cool to be appreciative and greatful to people who bust their ass in their spare time to make these programs for us (for themselves really, but they are damned generous to share it with us!!). Just think before you rant "cool now where's saves and zip. saves and zip. saves and zip and support for blah blah blah"

i know this shit falls on deaf ears largely. I am just trying to tell those who read this stuff (who it matters to) that a lot of us understand + appreciate you, don't let the few spoilt brats ruin it for the rest of us!! thanks again fdave, and all the others.

haha. GP32 forums. where else, anywhere, can you still have heated emulation debates these days!!!

Thank you very much Dave, for all your work. (Don't listen to the goobs demanding stuff from you)

Please let me set things straight. I never ever whined about "I w4nt t0 h4v34 t3h s0und! N0W!!!111!!!one!". I was happy just to be able to actually "have" a smooth running emulator. If it counts to me, I'm also for the thing "first the compatibility and graphics, then the sound". Everything else isn't important, as I also mentioned.

The other stuff were merely suggestions. Hell... and now I get flamed just because I said that or what?! Good... keeping my mouth shut from now on. *geez* The question "Are We Still A Friendly Community ?" is really a serious issue lately... :angry:

fDave:
I respect your words and also your opinions. But please don't force yourself to do stuff that you don't want to do in the first place. People are whining over everything. And if you're finished with one thing, they want more and never stop. Not to mention that they aren't even thankful, even if they say they are.

With the "no sound" thingy, I switched back to v0.20 - no big deal. It's more than enough for me now and like I said in another post, I can wait. Just take your time and keep up the good work.

Thanks again for all the efforts.
You got flamed???? :blink: WTF who flamed you? All that was said was give the man some respect instead of all these demands. I think unless fdave is a total newb in emulation (yeah right!) that he knows that save states, zip etc need to be implemented. I gave him a big list of what could be implemented at the very start and he said he wanted to do nearly all those things. Right now I think compatibility and GFX is most important. I think the compatibility is around 70-80% which is awesome. Mostly some GFX probs and some time/score displays. Anyway if the core is perfect than a new version of Fgen will have sound and save states!! so quit your whining.

It works here :)

this'll SURELY help me pick up some chicks :D

Guys, I'm getting wildly mixed messages here - first you all desperately want the sound in, then you want the sound removed!
Ahhh, wait, it's not THAT confusing.

Firstly: I guess, not ALL the people desperately wanted sound... I guess half of them want (for the lack of some speed), the other half wants full speed (but no sound).
Don't forget that ONLY the people who wanted sound demanded it here - if you don't want sound, you don't have a reason to demand it ;) That's why it sounded that ALL desperately wanted sound.

Secondly: Nobody wanted you to REMOVE the sound. Just an option to disable it and therefore get more speed, so that both groups are lucky :)

Everyone here is appreciating your work, fDave.
I personally find it very good that you release a LOT of alpha / beta versions of your emulator... but you can be SURE that there are a LOT of guys complaining if anything doesn't work correctly - even if it's an alpha.
You just have to ignore this - or give out private betas (like Rlyeh) to a few selected people who actually help you testing the emulator. And when it runs fine, you can release it :)

These are the two options... but releasing it to the masses and hoping that nobody will complain and demand is impossible ;)

Last edited:
Back