Release GINGE Update and Ruckage Pack!

So, due to my infamous SD issues apparently I uploaded a neotron pack and GINGE that were slightly broken, but seemed to work fine on my system... I fixed that and uploaded the new versions to the repo.

Thankyou Hooka... much appreciated. Now to find some free time...

Ok, so I added BennuGD, Fenix and Ultimate Fenix runtimes to the GINGE.pnd and made some changes to the code to automagically use the right ones!

Just a note though: Ultimate Fenix games you will still NEED to put --nosplash behind the .dcb in the .gpe, working on a solution but I'm kinda not the smartest with working with strings in C (stupid newline keeps sneaking in on me somewhere :p)

Also added sdl_gfx back in, dunno how I lost it along the way but should help make a few more work :)

Hi Hooka.

So since you added the runtimes, I tried to play FireWhip (Wiz).

I deleted the runtime folder and it still runs and displays something on the screen, so I guess the built-in runtime magic is working but it crashes when I press start to try and get into the game.

Just a small PS: I'm loving that GINGE is getting some attention! Thanks for your effort and of course to Notaz for originally bringing GINGE to us!

you might have to leave the runtime folder, not the files in it, but the empty folder itself. Seems the games all have data directories relative to the runtime folder (../data instead of ./data) and you just need to be able to enter the directory.

Also, if it shows a splashscreen and freezes, add -nosplash for fxi and --nosplash for ufxi files! (the double dash for ufxi is important)

From my rudimentary testing I'm seeing a few bennugd games and a handful of ufxi games with issues still, some just need script changes. Others require a different version of the runtime, but it's hit and miss as to whether they segfault on me.

Gonna keep trying on figuring out some touchscreen stuffs for the moment though. It's one of the main reasons I'm trying this :p

you might have to leave the runtime folder, not the files in it, but the empty folder itself. Seems the games all have data directories relative to the runtime folder (../data instead of ./data) and you just need to be able to enter the directory.

Also, if it shows a splashscreen and freezes, add -nosplash for fxi and --nosplash for ufxi files! (the double dash for ufxi is important)

From my rudimentary testing I'm seeing a few bennugd games and a handful of ufxi games with issues still, some just need script changes. Others require a different version of the runtime, but it's hit and miss as to whether they segfault on me.

Gonna keep trying on figuring out some touchscreen stuffs for the moment though. It's one of the main reasons I'm trying this :p

Deleting the runtime folder is fine (in fact leaving it empty causes problem, perhaps hiding the GINGE internal runtimes.)

To get FireWhip running I had to correct the script to use the double dashes on the nosplash and also remove "-tweak"

Good to know... Firewhip is one of the ones I didn't really test as it's available on the Pandora itself, but always good to know what the reasons behind the software not working. I'm gonna keep testing ufxi binaries and hope I can find one that doesn't suffer from splashscreen crashes. (As you can tell I found a fenix one that doesn't finally, only took a few weeks of scrummaging through random runtimes pulled outta games :p)

Good to know... Firewhip is one of the ones I didn't really test as it's available on the Pandora itself, but always good to know what the reasons behind the software not working. I'm gonna keep testing ufxi binaries and hope I can find one that doesn't suffer from splashscreen crashes. (As you can tell I found a fenix one that doesn't finally, only took a few weeks of scrummaging through random runtimes pulled outta games :p)

FireWhip is available natively on Pandora? I must have missed that...

EDIT: Yup... I definitely missed that: 
http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=firewhip

Last edited by a moderator:
There's about 70+ games that work through GINGE that are already on Pandora :)

I try and keep them sorted in my own working directory (and even pick and choose wiz/gp2x based on what I feel works better). There is so much overlap in the Wiz/Caanoo/GP2X software library that it's a bonus/pain... if it doesn't work on one, try the other! Other times, fixing one breaks the other :p

Certain overlaps are nice though: temper for wiz can apparently play some cd games the new version for Pandora can't. NeoCD2X also...

A bit late to the party, but great job Hooka and thanks for sharing ! I already installed most games of Ruckage but having them with a convenient shortcut in mini-menu is very nice :)

Installed the rest of you packages as well and I was pleasantly surprised to find some new games I never played before.

Certain overlaps are nice though: temper for wiz can apparently play some cd games the new version for Pandora can't. NeoCD2X also...

What about an emulator pack? One of the emulators I really liked on the GP2X was OutcaST from Skeezix. Hatari is great, but lacks convenient savestate handling like OutcaST. Tried to use it before on Ginge but never got it to work. 

b_o_b: I can look into OutcaST and get back to you... I might consider doing an emu pack sometime down the line, but for the most part native pandora emu's are definitely the way to go...

b_o_b: I can look into OutcaST and get back to you... I might consider doing an emu pack sometime down the line, but for the most part native pandora emu's are definitely the way to go...

Thanks - I agree native ports are usually best - but apparently they are not all ported yet (lack of time, no interest..) Also sometimes the gui of the gp2x versions are different due to lack of a keybord. Usually a disadvantage but can be an advantage too.

there is a native Pandora Outcasr ..

or did I never release it? I certainly can..

Did I release retrocade.. hmm, think I did that one. so much good history :)

there is a native Pandora Outcasr ..

or did I never release it? I certainly can..

Did I release retrocade.. hmm, think I did that one. so much good history :)

I don't remember seeing a Pandora version of OutcaST, only Hatari.

hatari is clearly superior so I stopped working on outcast - its goal was to be fast and fun while sacrificing compatibility; also, floppy emulation and such was poor etc .. demos mostly fail, but good for about 70% of games. hatari is amazing..

but if you want a direct gp2x port of outcast, I'll dig it out for ya and stick it up on repo :) I hacked on that for years so is close to my heart :)

jeff

skeezix: Maybe you uploaded it to the (now defunct) apps site back in the day, although I've noticed that someone has weeded out some of the old/broken pnd's from the repo it seems too...

No - outcast has never been released for Pandora. I would have known ;)

Back