Glass/cdcover Mod

PiNa1971

Website
Visit site
Well I finally decided to make Glass mod myself. The original yellow tinted piece of plastic hurts my eyes everytime I play :)

I was not able to find 1mm thin glass yet so I decided to follow advise of other forum's member and cut new LCD cover from CD Cover plastic. I have dremel and therefore cutting is not gonna be a problem. But I dont know what glue or glue tape should I use. It probably has to be glued securely to prevent dust from comming in between cover and LCD.

Obviously I will replace it again one day as it is plastic or when I'll lay my handson 1mm thin glass.

Any recommendations guys? Thank you.

I used double-sided tape (don`t know exactly what its called in America, in Germany its doppelseitiges Klebeband). I cut it into small stripes and just glued the glass screen into place. I did the same with the plastic frame.

It holds really tight, so I think it`s a good solution.

PiNa1971 posted on Dec 17 2004 at 12:48 PM said:
Well I finally decided to make Glass mod myself. The original yellow tinted piece of plastic hurts my eyes everytime I play :)

I was not able to find 1mm thin glass yet so I decided to follow advise of other forum's member and cut new LCD cover from CD Cover plastic. I have dremel and therefore cutting is not gonna be a problem. But I dont know what glue or glue tape should I use. It probably has to be glued securely to prevent dust from comming in between cover and LCD.

Obviously I will replace it again one day as it is plastic or when I'll lay my handson 1mm thin glass.

Any recommendations guys? Thank you.

I would just wait until you get the glass one. Every time you take the cover off you risk letting dust in. Go to an art glass type place (one that does stained glass crafts) they usually have all kinds of thicknesses. That is where I got mine and it is perfect, it is almost the exact thickness of the plastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just go to a place that frames pictures, they'll all be able to cut you one the right size. And you'll need 2mm thick glass, or it'll be too fragile. And when I stuck mine in, I didn't use any glue or anything, it just held perfectly tight as it was, with the remains of the original glue.

I would imagine a plastic jewel case would scratch like a S.O.B.?!?

I agree. I went a my local town's glass sales place and gave them my old plastic screen as a template and asked for a glass replacement. They didn't charge me for it, and was well worth the effort.
The BLU screens seem to be better than the FLU/Non-FLU ones and don't scratch as easily. I won't change my BLU screen unless it gets scratched.

window glass.... ordinary plain old window glass... go to any hardware store... like home hardware and tell them you want window glass.... don't use picture glass it is thin and brittle.... use window glass... if you search through the threads you will find the modders telling others this... window glass is the perfect width to use... I've never done the mod myself.. mine was done at mashmods.com but I can tell that mine was indeed done with window glass... you don't want to use too thin a glass that will potentially crack and send slivers into your lcd... and for the sake of all that is good please do not put cheap cd cover plastic in there it is the most destructible form of plastic... one step up from grocery bags... if you are going to do the mod do it right... only guru's should open their gp32's for no good reason.

PiNa1971 posted on Dec 17 2004 at 07:16 PM said:
I have heard that 2mm glass is too "fat" to fit. The depth of the "frame" for LCD cover in that gray frame, that can be removed is just 1mm.

I guess it comes down to how you handle the GP32. I use glass that would be considered way too thin for many as it is around 1 MM. But I always keep my GP32 in a HARD case where there is never any pressure on the glass when transported. If you are the type that throws it around and into soft cases or your pocket etc. you may want to go thicker, the frame will stick up though.

PiNa1971 posted on Dec 17 2004 at 07:16 PM said:
I have heard that 2mm glass is too "fat" to fit. The depth of the "frame" for LCD cover in that gray frame, that can be removed is just 1mm.
It fits just fine, except the grey frame will stick up 1mm higher, which makes absolutely no difference and you can't tell the difference at all.

Cd covers are also brittle. As such, they are hard to cut without breaking.
When they do break, they break in to shards, not as bad as glass, but
still, not worth it. I would keep the original one on for now.

Back