Global Chip Shortage Threatens Production of Laptops, Smartphones and More

Ok, this is longer than I wanted, and I'm too lazy to condense the info and delete parts to stay on-topic. Sorry for that.
No, no - that was really interesting reading! That’s something I love about this forum; as a NOOB I learn a lot from the knowledge of other people here! And it did circle back round to being on topic

Reactions: rSl
ED’s already mentioned that it’s on his list of things to do but given how busy he is, are there others on this forum who know what the Pyra’s full BOM is, who have some industry insight/contacts and could already start investigating how it’s affected by the GCS?
Post automatically merged:

@Bosbeetle The first of those sounds more like an actual engineering term xD

@Bosbeetle The first of those sounds more like an actual engineering term xD
Not really. Efficiency can be measured as a ratio of input to outputs, but effectiveness? Not so much. It seems a little binary to me, either you can do something or you can't, although obviously there are degrees of skill, but aren't those measured as efficiencies?

but effectiveness? Not so much. It seems a little binary to me, either you can do something or you can't
I'd say "probabilistic" - with varying proportions of success or failure in relation to the "effectiveness". Efficiency would be speed or value of effort applied.

Not really. Efficiency can be measured as a ratio of input to outputs, but effectiveness? Not so much. It seems a little binary to me, either you can do something or you can't, although obviously there are degrees of skill, but aren't those measured as efficiencies?
You could try to measure effectiveness by counting in how many cases something is effective and in how many not. The more scenarios in which something is effective, the more effective that something is.
But I don't think you can effectively measure either. And if you could I bet it wouldn't be efficient.
The effect of applying metrics to a job is that people start optimizing the metrics and not the job (quite efficiently).
Not saying you should never do it, just than when you need to, you're already screwed.

Engineering Toolbox has explanations relating to effective temperature, effective pressure and effective length, whilst effective wind speed (EWS) is an internationally used metric in the maritime sector and effective interest is used in economics.
There are other engineering metrics that are “specific x” (replace “x” with measure) so it would seem - at least to me - to be consistent to have “effective” (relative to another measurement) as well as “specific” metrics.
Efficiency is obviously a well known measure in various engineering fields but I haven’t come across a well defined metric for effectiveness (though I haven’t looked for one either*), which is why @Bosbeetle ’s first suggestion seemed intuitively more realistic.

*from a quick search it appears to be directly contrasted with efficiency in business metrics

You could try to measure effectiveness by counting in how many cases something is effective and in how many not. The more scenarios in which something is effective, the more effective that something is.
But I don't think you can effectively measure either. And if you could I bet it wouldn't be efficient.
The effect of applying metrics to a job is that people start optimizing the metrics and not the job (quite efficiently).
Not saying you should never do it, just than when you need to, you're already screwed.
So in this case, effectiveness would be a measure of how many items you need to order out of your BOM that you don't have in stock turn out to also be out of stock at digikey or wherever. That seems measurable, although really it's just measuring the state of the market, combined with the fact you didn't preorder enough of something nobody told you was going to be hard to get in a year or two.

From: https://www.pine64.org/2021/06/15/june-update-new-hardware-and-more-on-the-way/

PinePhone keyboard running open firmware - by Megi

One last thing I want to mention with respect to this topic: early feedback from the community indicated that many people would be interested in incorporating additional functionality into the keyboard. As a result of this, there is now a breakout header on the keyboard’s PCB, which will allow you to add LoRa and Qi wireless charging, and potentially also other peripherals in the future. However, due to the limited internal space inside the chassis, this will require soldering and as such is more of a nod towards hardware hackers rather than an end-user feature. In other words, we're making it easy to add the functionality for those who are up-to-the-task.

Speaking of additional functionality, the PinePhone back-cases are coming along but it may take a bit longer than we initially anticipated. We’ve run into some issues, related to current component shortages - the TI wireless charging chip we settled on for the charging back case is currently very difficult to source, and we're not happy with the performance of alternative options. I know that they've been pushed back already a few times, but we really want for the back cases to turn out great. I am leaving you with a handful of pictures of the current progress.

PineTime [by JF]​

Last month, we announced the availability of a new batch of PineTimes in the Store in June, but... that component shortage struck again! The production is currently stopped due to the vendor being unable to provide a part needed for the PineTime - more specifically, the acceleration sensor. This sensor enables features like step counting and wake on wrist rotation, for example. The factory couldn't find another source for this component and provided us with an alternative option - replace the BMA421 with the BMA425! Although the new component is very similar to the old one, we now need to ensure that InfiniTime is working properly with the replacement, and provide an update to support it if needed. This will unfortunately take a bit of time, but 2 units equipped with this new component have already been shipped to me and should have arrived by the time you read these lines.

Just as we were preparing to submit the gateway for certification we learnt that the Realtek Gigabit PHY used on the PINE A64-LTS - that is the brains of the PineDio gateway - can no longer be sourced (if you’re unaware of ongoing global component shortages, please read the February and March updates housekeeping sections). As a result of this, we had to introduce a new revision of the PINE A64-LTS (v2.0) with the same PHY used on Quartz64 model-A.”

Last edited:

Back