Global Chip Shortage Threatens Production of Laptops, Smartphones and More

• Wow
Reactions: rSl

I now expect a surplus of chips, and a lack of the other things (plastic, logistics) in a year...

The chairpersons and leaders of Samsung has always been called Lee and are male I assume. Samsung is a South Korean company so there's much less shenanigans than even somewhere like Taiwan involved, and as far as I know their leaders don't tend to do to jail time.

I don't know how many factories in the US there are that make use of microprocessors and could use Samsung parts, but presumably that's the plan, in case TSMC goes tits up because Taiwan gets invaded, and China for some reason I can't see yet decide to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs and restrict the sale of manufactures phones and things to the west.

Edit: The post I was replying to (but not quoting, more fool me) has been deleted.

Last edited:
I think I was mixing people. I kind of remember some Asian (female?) executive being arrested in America but it's not this case.

I'll save you the trouble finding the data: https://archive.md/pNI4a

The story is about a chief technician at ST in Malaysia who got sick together with 19 coworkers and died.
I'm really baffled how that could happen. What is a chief technician at a semiconductor factory doing? When does he get into contact with coworkers? Getting infected anywhere where bare silicon is handled, should be impossible. And the testing and packaging done when the silicon is sealed into a package should not be done by a chief technician. Is that even done by hand? My guess is that he got the virus during a break.

Solution is easy: No breaks! Eat your sandwich while working on a wafer! ;)
for the ones that don't know: Chip manufacturing is done in rooms that have zero pollutants, so that dust does not affect producing the chips (many on a single wafer, before it's cut to separate the microchips). Pollutants, like dandruff, sand, hair are a no-no.

Back